C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Newb
You don't INTENTIONALLY damage it but it was made to be driven and enjoyed.
It's not like you bought a 1964 Ford GT-40 where they only made 107 of them and you can never get another.
There are tens of thousands of them out there so they aren't rare.
You act like you have one of 100 cars built.
Ford GT-40 ???....what the heck is that ???
Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jshot00
Mine is not a DD so I do not take it out in the rain! I may get caught in the rain but that is life!! Not afraid to just my choice!!
Me too.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:12 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Mine is a daily driver and if I get caught out in the rain, so what. My brother was a bit nervous when we drove it down to Florida and got caught in some heavy rain. Water was starting to pond in places so I slowed it down to the speed limit (70). Never felt the first tendency to hydroplane and that's with big fat GS tires.

Now if it's pouring down rain when I leave for work or the forecast is dreadful I'll take the pickup mainly because less water comes in when the door is open and there's someplace to put a wet umbrella.
The following users liked this post:
tdf01cycling (06-27-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Newb
You don't INTENTIONALLY damage it but it was made to be driven and enjoyed.
It's not like you bought a 1964 Ford GT-40 where they only made 107 of them and you can never get another.
There are tens of thousands of them out there so they aren't rare.
You act like you have one of 100 cars built.
I treat it the same way I treated the muscle cars and 5 motorcycles I had, for which there were hundreds of thousands of copies running around.

I do drive and enjoy my C6, but just not in the way YOU and the other gatekeepers approve of. Name:  funny.gif
Views: 339
Size:  9.6 KB
Old 06-21-2017, 03:20 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Some are afraid of hydroplaning. Corvette's aren't known for wet road stability.
Originally Posted by 89talon
My vette drives better in the rain than my pickup. To each his own.

There's nothing wrong with a C6 in the rain. If you have trouble with it hydroplaning, you need to buy better tires. With Pilot Supersports, it drives wonderfully in wet weather.

I love driving my Corvette, rain or no rain.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I agree with several others...its not a DD, so I don't take it out when its raining. If I get caught in the rain, no big deal (and I have been caught several times in the rain). I do show the car, and I drive it when I want to. 2006 Z with 58k miles.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I agree with several others...its not a DD, so I don't take it out when its raining. If I get caught in the rain, no big deal (and I have been caught several times in the rain). I do show the car, and I drive it when I want to. 2006 Z with 58k miles.
The following users liked this post:
LMB-Z (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

I saw the Wizard of Oz and know what water can do.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:22 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

drove in a complete deluge from Houston to Dallas last December. Just got out in time before the flash flooding.

So glad to have the traction control. I saw a C4 in the ditch among others.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:40 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I am not afraid to drive in the rain, I just don't. Getting the car's underside clean takes a lot of work.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine is my DD. I drive it in the rain. Just the way it goes. I'm just very careful in the rain and then clean it the next day (or that evening) if it's cleared up and "supposed" to be rain free the next day.

It just takes longer to clean when it's been driven in the rain, but they do ride pretty well in the rain - as others said.. just have to watch out to idiots and standing water.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
For me...It's not the rain or getting the car dirty! It's the other drivers that scare me! I am more relaxed with my pickup or any other car. But it's my corvette and I'm a little more cautious because I don't trust other drivers.They get stupid when it rains or snows!
Yep, I agree with Paul, here in New York you really need a tank to stay safe, my DD is a GMC truck with PLENTY of metal surrounding me. I usually pick and choose when I take the Vette out although it has been through Hurricane Irene and tornado warnings down in Bowling Green and surprisingly enough, it didn't melt...
Old 06-22-2017, 09:40 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,580 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I don't like driving mine in the rain - because the top is almost always down
Old 06-22-2017, 10:17 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Almost got caught with mine down in a huge squall just the other day.

Was driving home from work on a country two lane highway, a lot of traffic, nowhere to pull over. It started raining lightly, but since I was moving along at a good clip didn't get wet. I finally found a side road, pulled off, brake on, top going up slowly. Just got it latched when it was like a bucked dropped on us. Had to quickly scramble to get the windows up.

Perfect timing. I would have been drenched just a few seconds later.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Just don't slow down!

Roll the windows up and the inside of the car won't get wet. Eventually, you will drive out the other side, or an overpass will come along, so you can stop under it and put the top up.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmk0210
Almost got caught with mine down in a huge squall just the other day.

Was driving home from work on a country two lane highway, a lot of traffic, nowhere to pull over. It started raining lightly, but since I was moving along at a good clip didn't get wet. I finally found a side road, pulled off, brake on, top going up slowly. Just got it latched when it was like a bucked dropped on us. Had to quickly scramble to get the windows up.

Perfect timing. I would have been drenched just a few seconds later.
Yep....been there. But unfortunately, thanks to another GM hic-up in reliability, I never know if my top is gonna close correctly the first time so I won't ever try and close it while sitting at a red light since you have to put it in park. Heck, I may have to cycle it a couple times to get it closed while holding up traffic. Then can you imagine right after that your beloved C-6 does the "won't come out of park thing"....or the "Busted cable grommet thing".....thanks GM...LOL..
Old 06-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
It means you don't care for your car.
^^^Could NOT disagree more^^^

Because you drive in the rain does not mean, "you don't care for your car". Maybe you got caught out have your pride and joy and got caught in the rain.

I drive in the rain when it is necessary, getting caught in it. I don't let rain stop me from enjoying my car.

The problem with rain is simple. We spend hours, sometimes days cleaning and detailing it. We don't want to waist the energy or time doing it again.

After all its just water, sometimes dirty water, but it will not damage the car. My 2 cents.

Matter of fact mine is setting the parking lot a work with a threat of rain this "late" afternoon. I just wash it two days ago, and if I get caught if I make it home I still enjoy my car.

Get notified of new replies

To why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kharouf
mine just gets dirty once the rain dries up. is that the only downfall?

6 inches of water, killed my car... Got into the engine, a little bit into the car itself, got into the body control module, which was hell fixing...

technically it's because I have a ram air intake in the bottom grill, but still 6 inches of water will kill you

Also if you have any decent racing tires, water = in a wall

Avoid puddles, normal tires = no problem.
I still drive it in the rain as it is my only car, but I steer cleeeeeear of puddles
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nick14003
6 inches of water, killed my car... Got into the engine, a little bit into the car itself, got into the body control module, which was hell fixing...

technically it's because I have a ram air intake in the bottom grill, but still 6 inches of water will kill you

Also if you have any decent racing tires, water = in a wall

Avoid puddles, normal tires = no problem.
I still drive it in the rain as it is my only car, but I steer cleeeeeear of puddles
If thats you then i'm not sure the 6 inches of water was the culprit. Looks like the car throwing about 300 gallons of water all over the side may be the suspect.....
Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I've had my Vette for 15 months, out of those 15 months, 11 of them have been wet, driving it daily and adding to that I've clocked 33,000 miles during that time.

Quick Reply: why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?