C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Up Display went dead.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 AM
bklynfirst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Up Display went dead.

2006 C6 Vert LT3,

Got into it yesterday and no display. Display worked on my first drive of the day and after I parked it and did an errand, no display.
Is there a fuse that controls this that anyone knows of? Or is my display toast.

Not too sure as it wasn't all that dark out yet, but it didn't look like the auto dimming outside mirrors were working either. That is why I am leaning towards a possible fuse issue.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Owner's Manual has a diagram w/ fuse locations & purpose.

But it's not unheard of HUD bulb burns-out either, and an '06 is now 11 years old.

If fuse(s) check-out, I'd start thinking bulb replacement.
I'm sure replacement isn't easy due to access; so, while bulb cost probably isn't excessive, labor can/does cost...especially at dealer rates.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:03 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Owner's Manual has a diagram w/ fuse locations & purpose.

But it's not unheard of HUD bulb burns-out either, and an '06 is now 11 years old.

If fuse(s) check-out, I'd start thinking bulb replacement.
I'm sure replacement isn't easy due to access; so, while bulb cost probably isn't excessive, labor can/does cost...especially at dealer rates.
GM would charge a ton to fix it i bet. for brake pads alone they wanted to charge me like 1 grand lol
The following users liked this post:
Robert J Morgan (11-30-2020)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by kharouf
GM would charge a ton to fix it i bet. for brake pads alone they wanted to charge me like 1 grand lol
SOS.

MY story: wanted new discs/pads/pins for my '08 Z06.
Dealer wanted $850...for just fronts.
Bought AC Delco OEM parts from Amazon & a ASE wrench $125 to install. $450 complete.
$850 my ***.

While there're *some* things I'd use a dealer for, brakes et al isn't one.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
SOS.

MY story: wanted new discs/pads/pins for my '08 Z06.
Dealer wanted $850...for just fronts.
Bought AC Delco OEM parts from Amazon & a ASE wrench $125 to install. $450 complete.
$850 my ***.

While there're *some* things I'd use a dealer for, brakes et al isn't one.
they wanted to charge me 700 for the GM stock pads for all 4, and 400$ for 4 hours of labour. plus they even wanted to do a break inspection for an additional charge to check if my rotors are ok which i know they are, my pads were just low.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:01 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bklynfirst
2006 C6 Vert LT3,

Got into it yesterday and no display. Display worked on my first drive of the day and after I parked it and did an errand, no display.
Is there a fuse that controls this that anyone knows of? Or is my display toast.

Not too sure as it wasn't all that dark out yet, but it didn't look like the auto dimming outside mirrors were working either. That is why I am leaning towards a possible fuse issue.
The problem may not be a fuse or bulb at all, the problem is most likely your mirror housing inside the hud is broken, and the display has fallen down out of viewing sight. this is a common problem with the C6 hud. I have the same problem, some times its there, sometimes not.
The following users liked this post:
bklynfirst (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:24 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The HUD fuse is also for the gage cluster.

If the fuse is Ok, which I assume it will be, then at night, look down on the windshield and see if you can see a green glow down at the HUD window of the dash. If you can see a green glow, then it means that you have a damaged mirror pivot point or the inside gear assembly attachment points have given way. It can be repaired, but taking out the HUD is not an easy task, but doable without having to remove the dash.
There is a video on it.
Here it is:
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
bklynfirst (07-05-2017), MarkDD (09-25-2019)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
The problem may not be a fuse or bulb at all, the problem is most likely your mirror housing inside the hud is broken, and the display has fallen down out of viewing sight. this is a common problem with the C6 hud. I have the same problem, some times its there, sometimes not.
This happened to me a few years back. I was able to fix it but it was a PITA. Has worked for about 5-6 years with the fix.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM
bklynfirst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
I looked at the HUD through the windshield and sure enough the mirror is out of place. I guess I will tackle the fix when the weather down here isn't as hot. The fix definitely looks like a PITA.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads Up Display went dead.

Quick Reply: Heads Up Display went dead.