C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel to Arizona from Florida

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:16 PM
dfinkw
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Travel to Arizona from Florida

Hello - we are planning to take the vette (2007 standard coupe with air/auto) for a trip from Tampa area to the Grand Canyon (and back of course). Part of it will be on the old Route 66 (now I40) through Williams AZ. Vehicle has 98K but had new rubber, tranny oil, battery, and rear end service (to get rid of the "bump") as well as a coolant flush and a couple of end joints last year when we purchased it. It is at the shop now (SW FL) being checked over. We haven't had any issues and have only put a few K on it since purchase last year. A lot of small day trips here in SW FL without any issues. Any suggestions/cautions from folks who may have put that many miles (5K+) on a long trip going through the south? TIA for any helpful hints.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Your C6 will be fine ... Just fill it with gas and go.

So, I guess you won't be taking I-10 all the way to Arizona
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
dfinkw (07-06-2017), johnodrake (07-08-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:56 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

My recommendation is to purchase a bra for the front of the car or tape it with blue tape to avoid all the rock chips. Carry a pump with you and a tire patch kit from walmart. Also, enjoy the trip it will be a blast!
The following users liked this post:
dfinkw (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM
dfinkw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Your C6 will be fine ... Just fill it with gas and go.

So, I guess you won't be taking I-10 all the way to Arizona
We are considering the I10 route on the return. Map programs all seem to indicate leaving 10 in Mobile and taking the "northern" route through Dallas and up to 40W. We have to make a deadline to Williams AZ so don't want to take the longer I10 route all the way through TX, but would like to take it on the return and make other stops in TX and New Orleans, etc. No rush on the return.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

I have made an (almost) as long trip from Florida. My 2007 A6 loves to get out and get some exercise. I made no special precautions. The only hiccup was when I stupidly used 85-octane gas (the pump was not logical!) in Alabama (I did not even know they made 85 octane) ... car was fine, but she got 93 octane the rest of the trip! Enjoy your time on the road.
dfinkw (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:11 PM
dfinkw
Instructor

Originally Posted by slowstang305
My recommendation is to purchase a bra for the front of the car or tape it with blue tape to avoid all the rock chips. Carry a pump with you and a tire patch kit from walmart. Also, enjoy the trip it will be a blast!
Thanks. Have run flats, good tow coverage and a can of "fix-a-flat" (I know I know -- but if it is a dire emergency, just as a last resort ). The bra idea sounds good.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you take I-10 through Texas on your return trip, your going to find that it seems to take forever to cross Texas .... VERY BORING.

Be aware of the town of Van Horn while going through west Texas on I-10 .... Notorious speed trap in that area.

Enjoy the trip !
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Pack water, and basic roadside stuff. It is 115+ out here, and crazy hot in the grand canyon area, so be prepared if you break down somewhere, to deal with the extreme heat.
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:57 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinkw
We are considering the I10 route on the return. Map programs all seem to indicate leaving 10 in Mobile and taking the "northern" route through Dallas and up to 40W. We have to make a deadline to Williams AZ so don't want to take the longer I10 route all the way through TX, but would like to take it on the return and make other stops in TX and New Orleans, etc. No rush on the return.
Meteor Crater in AZ is worth seeing, just west of Winslow. It's close to I40 so it doesn't take long. If you are in the Grand Canyon area, Lake Powell is worth the side trip. Dinner cruise on the river boat is very nice. Scenery is hard to describe. If you go from Flagstaff down to Phoenix going thru Oak Creek Canyon thru Sedona is a scenic and fun drive. Lots of red rock country. Plenty of really good auto museums in Phoenix, Penske, Barrett-Jackson, etc. Around Tuscon: Old Tuscon (movie set and tourist trap) Also in Tucson is the road up to the top of Mt. Lemmon. Pretty drive, with plenty of twists and turns. Traffic can be a little heavy at times. If you like airplanes there is also the Pima County Air Museum. The Kitt Peak observatory is about 30 miles west of Tucson. Very interesting tour and nice drive. Tombstone is worth seeing after you leave Tucson. If you haven't seen Carlsbad Caverns that is worth a stop/detour. You can go from El Paso to Carlsbad which is pretty drive and then back down to I10. That route also takes you by the entrance to Guadalupe Mtns. National Park as well as Carlsbad Caverns. Pecos and Fort Stockton are both interesting little towns. As far as major attractions after that it's the Alamo and River Walk in San Antonio. Not too much else on your route in Texas unless you want to see the San Jacinto Monument in La Porte (Houston area). Sorry to bore you. Have a great trip. We were in your part of the country back in March. Made a trip with 25 other Corvettes down to Key West. We had dinner with a Corvette Club down in Naples. Nice folks.

Last edited by TxLefty; 07-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I did a 4800 mile trip in mine. Just gas and go! I did have a clear bra installed to fight the rock chips & bugs. Instead of a bra, you can clean the nose every night and put a quick coat of Rejex on to make the bugs slide off. But it's up to you. If you drive FAST, a radar detector will help. Otherwise have fun. You will be amazed at the mileage you get. Take pictures to share with us. Remember, if you don't have pictures, it didn't happen!!

I just thought of something. One issue we had and it seemed to be the worst in Mississippi, Alabama, was pieces of semi tires (gatorbacks)laying on the highway. We almost nailed a few. Not sure why it was so bad there but it was. But obviously, they can appear anywhere.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 07-06-2017 at 05:04 PM.
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

If you come thru Texarkana and plan on stopping, let me know. I will meet you. Have a safe and fun trip.
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

We just got back a couple of weeks ago from a 7400 mile road trip out that way. All the advice everyone has given is good. We didn't have the first minute of problem. That far south, you will be ok. When we went through the Iowa, and So Dakota, it was hard to find top tier gas, and very hard to find gas that was over 87 octane. Once we got to Williams, and headed east, it was no problem. Just keep an eye on your operating temps, since it is very hot. We were in Needles, CA and our thermometer read 120 degrees, and that was before noon. Enjoy your trip.
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:26 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Also be aware that Monsoon season just started in Arizona. Rain and thunder storms could happen at any time, as well as flash floods.
dfinkw (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:11 AM
dfinkw
Instructor

Originally Posted by TxLefty
Meteor Crater in AZ is worth seeing, just west of Winslow. It's close to I40 so it doesn't take long. If you are in the Grand Canyon area, Lake Powell is worth the side trip. Dinner cruise on the river boat is very nice. Scenery is hard to describe. If you go from Flagstaff down to Phoenix going thru Oak Creek Canyon thru Sedona is a scenic and fun drive. Lots of red rock country. Plenty of really good auto museums in Phoenix, Penske, Barrett-Jackson, etc. Around Tuscon: Old Tuscon (movie set and tourist trap) Also in Tucson is the road up to the top of Mt. Lemmon. Pretty drive, with plenty of twists and turns. Traffic can be a little heavy at times. If you like airplanes there is also the Pima County Air Museum. The Kitt Peak observatory is about 30 miles west of Tucson. Very interesting tour and nice drive. Tombstone is worth seeing after you leave Tucson. If you haven't seen Carlsbad Caverns that is worth a stop/detour. You can go from El Paso to Carlsbad which is pretty drive and then back down to I10. That route also takes you by the entrance to Guadalupe Mtns. National Park as well as Carlsbad Caverns. Pecos and Fort Stockton are both interesting little towns. As far as major attractions after that it's the Alamo and River Walk in San Antonio. Not too much else on your route in Texas unless you want to see the San Jacinto Monument in La Porte (Houston area). Sorry to bore you. Have a great trip. We were in your part of the country back in March. Made a trip with 25 other Corvettes down to Key West. We had dinner with a Corvette Club down in Naples. Nice folks.
Great Info - Thanks! I suspect the wife (as well as I) will enjoy all of it.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Good point by the previous member. Carlsbad Caverans are something you will NEVER forget if you have the time. It's out of the way but awesome. Stick around for the bats leaving the cave at dusk if ya can. Have fun!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

As previously stated, gas-and-go!

If you get close to Winslow, you gotta stop and stand on the corner. It's the law.

Going thru Oatman, AZ, the wild donkey's will exercise their right-of-way.
dfinkw (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Allan
As previously stated, gas-and-go!

If you get close to Winslow, you gotta stop and stand on the corner. It's the law.

Going thru Oatman, AZ, the wild donkey's will exercise their right-of-way.
I've see the donkeys in the middle of the road. They are a bunch of asses....

Last edited by Vet Interested; 07-07-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Travel to Arizona from Florida

Old 07-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

A Radar Detector may come in handy on those long stretches of open road when you may exceed the speed limit as always check what states allow them but most do, have a great time.
dfinkw (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 PM
klwehunt
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a great trip.I have been out in that area many times hauling classic cars for myself and friends,always made time to see the sights.Come to think of it i need to do it in my 08.
dfinkw (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 PM
spuddeamore
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Titan Missile Museum just South of Tucson. Underground tour of launching facilities. Last Titan Missile sitting in silo with hatch partly open. 50's tech.
The following 2 users liked this post by spuddeamore:
dfinkw (07-08-2017), witch hunt (07-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Travel to Arizona from Florida