C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 PM
sabre075
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Turn Signal

My left front turn signal has issues..Sometimes it works just fine. But, now I will turn the left one on and it will flash fast. The back indicator works fine. The front one does not. I have replaced the bulb a couple times and the negative results are the same.. Help me turn left.. BH
Old 07-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Easy fix,

Remove the bulb from the socket and using a pin, your going to pull the contact tabs for bulb wire inward towards the center of the slot so they make clean contact to the bulb wires,

looking at the middle photo,

you see the two thicker bars that contact the bulb wires on the left hand side. They are fine most of the time, but it does help to bend them slightly inward as you are cleaning the contact areas as well (electrical spray contact cleaner works fine for this).

Now on the right hand side, you see the two metal smaller tabs. These at the ones that really need to be tweaked inward so they make contact with the bulb wires, and are a PITA since the tab has a limiter top section that you have work against as well (can't go straight in and down to bend the tabs back inwards like you did on the larger tabs). So the trick is to get a pick tool or strong needle in the contact tap section on the inside from the side of the tabs to bend the tabs both sides more inward one at at a time, then clean the tabs oxidation off them as well.

Before you put the bulbs back in the sockets (do both sides while you are it), smear dielectric grease into the sockets on the heaver side. The grease will prevent the tabs from oxidizing quickly again, plus will help to dissipate the heat from the bulb to the socket and tabs, to keep the tabs from heat bending in again.

Once you are done with the front's, not a bad ideal to clean up the rear tail light socket and add some dielectric grease to them; as well as the main light wire connector in the rear fender cover as well.

The rear main light connector can be seen inside the fender cover on the back wall once you remove the inner passenger tail light and will be clipped to the back side of the rear wall (not on the fender cover side) slightly downward from the tail light opening.

Also, while you have the tail lights out (the inner passenger tail light) not a bad time to pull the rear hatch release button to pull it out, pull it apart, and give it a good contact cleaning as well.
Note: there is a write up on pulling the latch button and pulling it apart, but since Photobucket went south, so did all the photos linked in those threads.

Last edited by Dano523; 07-23-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Turn Signal