C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't get in my Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:34 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help! Can't get in my Vette...

I just purchased a '11 Grand Sport and took it home from the dealer last night (locked it with the windows up). Right now neither key fob will unlock the car by either pushing the unlock button or holding it next to the door handle.

I do remember last night when I locked the car with the fob the headlights wouldn't turn off (it's on the auto setting). I figured with the technology in the car that it would automatically turn them off at some point.

Might I have a dead battery, or any other ideas? Just thought I'd check here first before having a tow company try to get it unlocked.

Last edited by FlyboyZR1; 07-24-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM
stew1100
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a place to put your key in just above the license plate.
open the hatch and there are levers to open the doors
Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyboyZR1
I just purchased a '11 Grand Sport and took it home from the dealer last night (locked it with the windows up). Right now neither key fob will unlock the car by either pushing the unlock button or holding it next to the door handle.

I do remember last night when I locked the car with the fob the headlights wouldn't turn off (it's on the auto setting). I figured with the technology in the car that it would automatically turn them off at some point.

Might I have a dead battery, or any other ideas? Just thought I'd check here first before having a tow company try to get it unlocked.
Use the key inside the fob to open the rear hatch (the key hole is above the license plate). Pull the release handle on the left side of the cargo compartment to open the door.

Familiarize yourself with the owners manual.

In addition to being locked out, there's "locked in". There have been a couple Darwin Award winners who managed to lock themselves in the car when the battery didn't have enough juice to open the door and died from the heat. Other more fortunate people took the top out and then climbed out the top. That's why there's a handle on the floor next to each seat...manual door release.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 07-24-2017 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM
ksurfer2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull the top of the fob off (silver part). once removed, you will find an acutal key. On the back of the car above the license plate, you will find a place to insert the key. Open the hatch. On the driver side of the rear area there is a little lever, if you pull that lever, it will pop the driver side door open. Now you are in, but likely have a dead battery to deal with.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:57 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Thanks guys. I was able to get the door open and popped the hood. Now the question, how do I deal with the battery? Put a charger on it? I had just finished a 9 hour road trip prior to parking the car so I would assume it was fully charged. Why would it drain overnight like that?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:59 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

if the headlights stayed on... that would do it.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM
SR71!
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

...and depending on the age of the battery, it should take a charge and be just fine.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:12 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

I just purchased a '11 Grand Sport and took it home from the dealer last night ...
Originally Posted by tennblkc6
if the headlights stayed on... that would do it.
The headlights should not have stayed on.

Take it back to the dealer you purchased it from and have them fix it.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Do yourself a favor and save yourself some future headache by just changing the battery now. Your car is probably due for a replacement anyway. And if it was on a dealer lot, chances are they probably killed the battery even if it was good.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...I was able to get the door open...
How did you get the door open? Just askin....
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

So you are saying you can't start the car now that you are in it. Can't believe someone didn't say to put your key fob in the little hole in the glove box buttons facing toward the passenger door. If you can start the car your fob battery is dead probably. At least check and replace one of them first unless you are able to check the battery with a volt meter and can see it is very low. Then maybe try charging it just in case, maybe you did leave something on but if you did the car should automatically shut everything off after about 20 minutes. Sounds like you may have dead fob battery but hard to tell from what you said or if the fobs are now working to open the doors. GL

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-24-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

PS there is also a setting in the DIC to set that will give a warning beep if you leave your fob in the car when you get out. Something like most cars will beep if you leave the key in the ignition.

I imagine you are reading up on all the things you can set in the DIC, worthwhile. Here's also something might help, sure there are changes between years and you can skip the stuff on convertibles.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/C6-CORVETTE-...7380491/g.html

Good video if you haven't seen. And another to get you up to speed on what you have.

Welcome too. We need pictures posted. Hope you are having a ball.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-24-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Originally Posted by ruxvette
How did you get the door open? Just askin....
I used the key above the license plate to open the hatch, and then pulled the lever to open the drivers side door. Once inside nothing worked and the engine accessory option wouldn't turn on. So it was definitely a dead battery (2 year old optima yellow top!). I went and purchased a new Delco battery that I'm working on installing. Will hope to have some pics of the car soon!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I used the key above the license plate to open the hatch, and then pulled the lever to open the drivers side door. Once inside nothing worked and the engine accessory option wouldn't turn on. So it was definitely a dead battery (2 year old optima yellow top!). I went and purchased a new Delco battery that I'm working on installing. Will hope to have some pics of the car soon!
Don't forget to re-index the windows when you're done. Owners manual tells you how.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I had just finished a 9 hour road trip prior to parking the car so I would assume it was fully charged. Why would it drain overnight like that?
Know how long your car sat before you purchased it?
I'd bought a leftover unsold '08 Z06 in 03/09.
Car sat in showroom w/o a tender for 15 months so it came as no surprise a power pack was needed to jump start it fir my test drive.
After purchase the 20 min ride back to my home wasn't nearly enough to recharge it, properly.
Very next morning I come out to take my first cruise and car was deader than a doornail.
After some abject panic recalled symptoms of a dead cell from CF, DIC goes nuts throwing every code car has. Then, I knew what was up.
Called dealer & demanded they send a new cell out w/ a wrench to install it, which they did.
Been golden ever since & its been 8 it years.
Your battery could've been trashed after sitting too long, now let the dealer make it good.

C6 is hard on batteries, a LOT of electronics.
After 20 mins times out (or so) headlights & all other electronics are designed to shut everything down.

Try not confusing 2 unrelated things, headlights/battery, here.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Can't get in my Vette...

Quick Reply: Help! Can't get in my Vette...