C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd BOSE subwooofer failure - OEM supplier quality issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Vet With A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not recommend doing shallow mount subs in the door.

I did it with a set of pioneer shallow mounts running 150 watts to each and the vibrations and rattles are insane even with my doors and door cards being fully treated with sound deadener.

Others may have had success doing this but it was a big waste of effort for me. I went back to a 6.5 setup in the doors and the subwoofers are now in the Subthump partition box.

Last edited by Vet With A Vette; 11-01-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Thanks RC, any idea whether an '08 has built-in amp...or not?
Guessing it does since revised systems came in '11, IIRC.

I plan having a local stereo shop replace come Spring, thinking it'd probably be better replacing both at that time. Thought(s)?

I like Crutchfield, good outfit so followed your link.
On the Pioneer model I looked at there were 33 reviews, mostly positive w/ a couple install issues.
At least 80% of reviewers listed vehicle and not one was for a C6, of any MY.
Given this is 'common' I'd have guessed at least one would be for a C6.

In any event any feedback/advice is appreciated.
I don't believe the Bose amps make enough power to run a subwoofer let alone one in each door. I don't know how much power the Bose amps put out, but I would imagine the factory woofer takes considerably less power than a subwoofer, even a shallow mount 8. So if you are not willing to add an aftermarket amp, this scenario is not an option. Regardless, like Vet with a Vette posted, I would not recommend subwoofers in the doors.

Your only aftermarket option would maybe be to find an 8" mid-bass woofer to replace the factory one, but I have no idea how well this would work or if the factory amp would be enough for this scenario either. If you search Crutchfield.com for 8" speaker some options come up but I can't say if any of them would be a viable alternative to the factory woofer.

I actually have one Pioneer shallow 8" sitting on a shelf not being used in almost new condition that I tried in my trucks factory sub box. If anyone really wanted to attempt this I could sell you mine for cheap, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:14 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
So then go ahead and do it. You be the guinnie pig instead of recommending it to others based on your whim. Just because people mistakenly interchange the terms subwoofer and woofer, doesn’t mean they are the same thing. I can tell you right now, it will probably sound like ****.
Interesting since you have no real world experience to base your assumption on either and don't even know what frequencies the Bose amp x-overs are set for, what wattage the OEM Bose amp is rated for or the specs for the OEM woofer.

FWIW, if you think that no one has ever replaced the OEM door subs with aftermarket shallow replacements and that I would be the first you are mistaken about that as well.

Last edited by RC4G; 11-01-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Landru
Thanks RC, any idea whether an '08 has built-in amp...or not?
Guessing it does since revised systems came in '11, IIRC.

I plan having a local stereo shop replace come Spring, thinking it'd probably be better replacing both at that time. Thought(s)?

I like Crutchfield, good outfit so followed your link.
On the Pioneer model I looked at there were 33 reviews, mostly positive w/ a couple install issues.
At least 80% of reviewers listed vehicle and not one was for a C6, of any MY.
Given this is 'common' I'd have guessed at least one would be for a C6.

In any event any feedback/advice is appreciated.
Landru, you can't miss if your existing subs have the amp built into the speaker itself. You can see it through the speaker grill, pie shaped assembly with metal fins if I remember correctly.

If another OEM sub fails with the same cone separation I will research further for the appropriate aftermarket 8"-10" replacement woofer that will work with the stock Bose amp and x-overs. To be completely frank, I spend the majority of my time with the roof off and the Z06 Fusions open so there is not a lot of value to me spending money ripping out the OEM head unit, amps and speakers chasing a concert hall experience.

Additionally, the Grandsport only has one rear cubby for storage (that I fill with tire compressor, patch kit and my front license plate) so losing that storage is not an option and I don't want to lose rear hatch space for a sub box with the correct amount of air volume.

To that end if anyone can confirm what frequency the OEM x-overs are set for that would be a great start.

Last edited by RC4G; 11-01-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:37 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RC4G
Interesting since you have no real world experience to base your assumption on either on and don't even know what frequencies the Bose amp x-overs are set for.

FWIW, if you think that no one has ever replaced the OEM door subs with aftermarket shallow replacements you are mistaken about that as well.
The Bose system is garbage. Why would I spend my time and energy to learn everything about it when I built and had to learn about my own high end system? If you put shallow subs in the doors, it will still be garbage. I never said guys never did it. I said guys have done it with "mixed reviews". Just because guys have done it, doesn't mean they should or that the results were good. Somebody else with experience on the matter just posted saying the same thing.

My point to you was before you recommend to others to make these changes, maybe you should try it yourself so that you can know what you are recommending to others because I don't think you know what you are talking about and you are going to waste someone else's time and efforts instead of your own.

Also, everyone I have seen attempt this also added an aftermarket amp with more power to drive a sub woofer. You are making a claim that this is plug and play with the factory amp and I disagree with you. Go ahead and prove me wrong, but like I said, it will sound like cr@p.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Too funny.

You have already determined it will "sound like crap" yet you have never done it, never listed to someone else's installation who has done it and don't have qny idea what the specifications of the OEM system are, absolute requirement if you are going to express a counter opinion.

Since you already have such a strong opinion (with no real basis) and what something sounds like is subjective at best exactly how would one prove you wrong?

Regardless, no need for me to prove anything to you. Your total system replacement is not viable for my scenario (this was my thread after all and I have clearly detailed why I have no desire to do a complete swap) and since you have no real value to offer towards replacing the OEM speaker assembly feel free to move on.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

If another OEM sub fails with the same cone separation I will research further for the appropriate aftermarket 8"-10" replacement woofer that will work with the stock Bose amp and x-overs.
Didn't you already post links for sub woofers? After posting your recommendations you are now going to do research? You just proved my point that you shouldn't be recommending anything to anyone.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Too funny.

You have already determined it will "sound like crap" yet you have never done it, never listed to someone else's installation who has done it and don't have qny idea what the specifications of the OEM system are, absolute requirement if you are going to express a counter opinion.
Funny, you are contradicting yourself. You never once mentioned you heard anyone's system with this mod done, so you have no idea if it will work or sound good or not.

Do you know the specs of the OEM system? No you don't since you keep asking, but I am suppose to believe you know what you are talking about when you use the same argument to discredit me.

Edit: I just saw you started a thread in the audio section asking for the information I accused you of not knowing. What a joke.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 11-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

You are mistaken ... again.

Just because I did not specifically state I had seen or heard a shallow mount sub-woofer installed in a C6 door does not mean that I haven't.

Once again, if you have something positive to contribute to my thread regarding replacing the OEM door woofer then feel free to do so. Otherwise, why don't you reduce your stress levels and just move on?

Last edited by RC4G; 11-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

You are mistaken ... again.

Just because I did not specifically state I had seen or heard a shallow mount sub-woofer installed in a C6 door does not mean that I haven't.

Once again, if you have something positive to contribute to my thread regarding replacing the OEM door woofer then feel free to do so. Otherwise, why don't you reduce your stress levels and just move on?
I think you are full of B.S. You keep contradicting yourself and talking in circles (you still won't say if you heard it or not, either you did or you didn't, very simple). My contribution to this thread is saving other members from your ignorance and BS. I'm not stressed, I feel like I did my good deed for the day!

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 11-01-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Glad you were able to give yourself a little self-affirmation.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Interesting since you have no real world experience to base your assumption on either and don't even know what frequencies the Bose amp x-overs are set for, what wattage the OEM Bose amp is rated for or the specs for the OEM woofer.

FWIW, if you think that no one has ever replaced the OEM door subs with aftermarket shallow replacements and that I would be the first you are mistaken about that as well.
You won't find any specs online for Bose amps or speakers. They managed to keep that a big secret. I wonder why?

Quick Reply: 2nd BOSE subwooofer failure - OEM supplier quality issue