C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up one side ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Jacking up one side ?

Good morning all,
I'm going to be replacing tires, shocks, rotors, and pads, this fall and I'm wondering if it would be ok to have one side jacked up on stands for a few days at a time. Will it damage the bearings or anything on the other side that will have a lot of side force on it.?
Tia,
G
Old 07-25-2017, 10:38 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Shouldnt be an issue. I've done it without issues. What I would suggest though is jacking up the front (both sides) and replacing the front parts, then do the same for the rear.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by schizcat
Shouldnt be an issue. I've done it without issues. What I would suggest though is jacking up the front (both sides) and replacing the front parts, then do the same for the rear.
I agree, and I've would do that in the first place except I don't have the room to have the entire car off the ground and still be able to work around it on all sides. I'll have to do one side and then pull the car out and back it in to do the other side. I could do it all with the car in the middle of the garage but I would have to convince the wife to leave her car out side in the Florida sun for a week or so. She would rather see me and my car out there.

Last edited by gordosoar; 07-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:05 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

That makes sense...kind of. Why a week? Brakes and shocks should only take half a day max. Unless you have a flat, I would swap all the parts on front, then on back then take the car to wherever and have them do the tire swap. Thats just me though. I understand about the heat but it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I know it deviates from your original question, just trying to give extra advice.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 AM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gordosoar
I could do it all with the car in the middle of the garage but I would have to convince the wife to leave her car out side in the Florida sun for a week or so. She would rather see me and my car out there.
+1! In my case though I have two separate garage doors with a 2-foot separation between them, so getting a car in the middle on an angle would be iffy for anything other than maybe a Fiat 500
Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

No problem, jack away.
The following users liked this post:
gordosoar (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:17 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by schizcat
That makes sense...kind of. Why a week? Brakes and shocks should only take half a day max. Unless you have a flat, I would swap all the parts on front, then on back then take the car to wherever and have them do the tire swap. Thats just me though. I understand about the heat but it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I know it deviates from your original question, just trying to give extra advice.
Originally Posted by ben z
+1! In my case though I have two separate garage doors with a 2-foot separation between them, so getting a car in the middle on an angle would be iffy for anything other than maybe a Fiat 500
I guess I should have gone into more detail,,,,,
When I take the wheels off I will take them to the tire shop and only have the tires taken off and bring the wheels home without the tire on so I can strip off the old clear coat (looks bad) and buff the rims out before putting the new tires on. Much easier to handle the rims without the tire on.

And I have a 3 car garage,, one side being my man cave/work shop, and the other has the two cars in it. So I would have to move my wife's car out and put the vette in the center of the two car part.
And because of the refurbishing of the rims it will take the extra time of the week.

Last edited by gordosoar; 07-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gordosoar
I agree, and I've would do that in the first place except I don't have the room to have the entire car off the ground and still be able to work around it on all sides. I'll have to do one side and then pull the car out and back it in to do the other side. I could do it all with the car in the middle of the garage but I would have to convince the wife to leave her car out side in the Florida sun for a week or so. She would rather see me and my car out there.
No comment.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by Zero_6
No comment.
True.
So I guess it will have to be one side at a time and now that I think of it, the wheels and bearings probably go through more stress when hard cornering than they would just being jacked up on one side.
Ok that's it. Thanks to all.
G
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I have done it many times with no problem.
The following users liked this post:
gordosoar (07-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up one side ?

Quick Reply: Jacking up one side ?