C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM module AUX mod problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM
ajohnson1995
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XM module AUX mod problems

Ive got an 06 with nav/xm etc. Laat night i followed the "$9 diy mod" and posts within to splice in an auxillery cord to my xm module. Got all the proper wires together and checked 5 times over again to make sure it was right. I got music to play however thr vocals/bass are all sorts of screwed up. A song with lots of bass has no bass coming through whatso ever while playing, the audio/vocals sound weird. Seems like baxkground vocals arent coming through or something. What could be my issue? I would obviously assume something was wired wrong or not getting a good connection but i checked over everything several times... good connection, proper wires according to the posts about the mod, etc...
Old 08-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

Silly response, but have you checked your equalizer settings?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 PM
ajohnson1995
Instructor

I hadn't messed with it because it was playing music perfectly fine before with the radio playing and using an am/fm transmitter with an aux cord... so I didnt think it would need to be adjusted
Old 08-16-2017, 02:53 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Make sure you are on Channel 0 on your XM station. Even if you aren't subscribed the XM signal can get mixed into your aux input.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 AM
ajohnson1995
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Make sure you are on Channel 0 on your XM station. Even if you aren't subscribed the XM signal can get mixed into your aux input.
Dumb question, but how do I get on channel 0? I can only seem to function between channel 1 and channel 2...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

When you turn on the XM it usually is at Channel 1 (The preview channel). You have to hit the down button (the "Seek" button) to get to Channel 0 (The radio ID channel IIRC).

This is all off the top of my head. I don't use the AUX input very often and the car is not with me right now or I would do out and verify.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Racer1735
Pro

You may you find your radio will not tune down to 0, nor possibly any other channel number. If this is the case disconnect your negative cable on the battery for about five minutes then reconnect It seems to reset the radio ( it has worked for me ).
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Also the equalizer settings are for each channel. So you will need to adjust it when you go to channel 0, then the next time it will be set.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:39 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you've done the mod correctly, it doesn't matter what XM channel is selected because the XM Tuner is switched out of the circuit that's feeding the head unit (aka Radio, Nav, CD Player, whatever you want to call it).

You just need to select the XM Band and you should hear the music player that's now connected in place of the XM Tuner.

Did you take any pics of your install?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
If you've done the mod correctly, it doesn't matter what XM channel is selected because the XM Tuner is switched out of the circuit that's feeding the head unit (aka Radio, Nav, CD Player, whatever you want to call it).

You just need to select the XM Band and you should hear the music player that's now connected in place of the XM Tuner.

Did you take any pics of your install?
When I did the mod I spliced into the wires, I did not disconnect the XM wires. I can still get XM stations if I resubscribed. But to use the aux input I have to go to channel 0.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Without getting too technical, I should have said the best way to add an Aux Input to the XM Tuner circuit is by using a switching jack or a normal jack with a separate toggle switch to select either the Aux or XM as the source.

In simple terms, when you just tie the two separate sources, Aux and XM together, you are feeding the Aux source into the Head Unit/Radio/Nav and it is also feeding into the output of the XM Tuner.

You won't hurt anything, but the audio quality is compromised.

Now, whether you can actually hear any ill affects in the context of a Corvette's OEM audio system is entirely up to the individual listener.

And if you have just paralleled (Y'd) the Aux and XM together, then yes you need to find a way to "turn off" the sound coming from the XM Tuner and using channel 0 is probably the easiest option.

I used a standard 1/4" switching jack and plug (like a large headphone jack on your home stereo) to create my 'Aux In'.

The larger contacts/switches on the 1/4" jack are more robust and will last much longer than a typical 1/8" 'mini' jack will. And the larger plug handle let me incorporate the charging plug into the cable for my IPOD.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Racer1735
Pro

That's the way mine is wired (by the previous owner). My issue is that my radio will randomly select 'Aux' and you can't select the XM band. Toggling the channel selector up or down just switches between ch 1 and ch 2. At some point, the radio will elect to go back to the XM band, but pushing buttons has no control over that process.

Get notified of new replies

To XM module AUX mod problems

Quick Reply: XM module AUX mod problems