C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * Thinking of getting a C6 - Need Everyone's Feedback * *

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:07 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default * * Thinking of getting a C6 - Need Everyone's Feedback * *

Hi guys,

I've been a CF member for over a decade now. Crashed my C5 end of last year that I owned for 12 Yrs. Long and Sad story - - but now want to get a Vette again.

Looking at a 2007, Mn6, C6 Vert, electric top, heated seats, HUD - 1G1YY36U675133455, from a guy off Craigslist. Car has 41,XXX miles. Guys says it has Z51 pkg (I'm not sure how to find out), has some (Unknown brand) headers and exhaust. Eliminated 1-4 cags. Aftermarket 18/19 wheels (unknown brand) - looks like the ZR1 design though. Looks decent in & out (it's Black so nothing spectacular - hard to maintain) with Gray console.

What should it be priced at?
What should I be looking for?

Need to make a decision soon - so please share your feedback, that would help. THANKS!!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:47 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

41 reviewed and no feedback??!! I'm shocked...
Old 08-27-2017, 04:00 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hi guys,

I've been a CF member for over a decade now. Crashed my C5 end of last year that I owned for 12 Yrs. Long and Sad story - - but now want to get a Vette again.

Looking at a 2007, Mn6, C6 Vert, electric top, heated seats, HUD - 1G1YY36U675133455, from a guy off Craigslist. Car has 41,XXX miles. Guys says it has Z51 pkg (I'm not sure how to find out), has some (Unknown brand) headers and exhaust. Eliminated 1-4 cags. Aftermarket 18/19 wheels (unknown brand) - looks like the ZR1 design though. Looks decent in & out (it's Black so nothing spectacular - hard to maintain) with Gray console.

What should it be priced at?
What should I be looking for?

Need to make a decision soon - so please share your feedback, that would help. THANKS!!!!
First off...its on Craigslist...buyer beware!!!!!
He says it has Z51....get him to take a picture of the codes in the glove compartment. If it has Z51, it will say so, along with everything it has.
Unkown headers and exhaust? who put them on? exhaust should have a name on it.
Gray console...not sure I have ever seen a gray console.

$20,000.00 Look for the same thing you looked for when you bought your C5, or any other car for that matter.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:56 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I would check out the carfax reports as well as the GMVIS report (free from any dealer. If the car was in excellent shape with new tires I would say $23-24. As mentioned in the above post I'm Leary about the mods that were installed. The price will vary depending on your location as well as the pkg. I'm basing this on the 3LT pkg. I too have a black vert with titanium interior ( light gray) with a matching console. Is that the gray console you are talking about?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:08 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by enventr
I would check out the carfax reports as well as the GMVIS report (free from any dealer. If the car was in excellent shape with new tires I would say $23-24. As mentioned in the above post I'm Leary about the mods that were installed. The price will vary depending on your location as well as the pkg. I'm basing this on the 3LT pkg. I too have a black vert with titanium interior ( light gray) with a matching console. Is that the gray console you are talking about?
It's actually Black on Black, with the center plastic console Gray (not the carbon fiber type). With the headers and exhaust it sounds better than stock for sure - but I don't remember what brand those are. I can ask him tomorrow....but it seems some unknown brands. And he did mention it's a LS2 - Z51, 3LT pkg - not sure what the extras are of if it's worth more money.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe everyone read how you thought the C5 was better than the C6 in the Compliments post. If I felt that strongly about the C5 vs. the C6, I'd look for another C5. A year and a half ago, I sold a base 07 that I bought new and was looking at the C7s, I decided on an 11 GS and I'm glad I did.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Wouldn't by a modded car. I would buy a C5 Z06 but you want a convertible.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:29 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a leftover subscription to Carfax as well as one more Compnine report I was able to run.

See attached Buildsheet from Compnine.

i've been looking to help somebody with the leftover Carfax subscription but knew if I just posted that I had a few available they would have very well gone to waste with people asking for reports on cars they weren't really ready to buy.

I hope these help in your decision and yes, it is a Z51 as you will see on the Buildsheet.

Good luck in your decision.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (08-29-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As these cars age some things have popped up. Recall for Low beams, Check and make sure the HVAC vents work in auto Manual and split mode,Fuel smell from tank leak.
Good luck great car ! If convert make sure nothing hitting when in transition. Rigging top is not fun.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:50 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

first off i get the impression you are not wild about the color of the car so for me that would have been a deal breaker right away, The Z51 package is a near $1500.00 dollar package with a lower gear set in the rear and additional suspension package oil cooler etc you could look up what comes in the package, the car rides a little stiffer but still a good ride, worth it i guess that depends on your personal point of view. As far as the headers and wheels i don't consider that anywhere near heavily modded and i wouldn't shy away from any vehicle because of that regardless of what brand headers are on the car, and me personally i would like to have the headers they are only pretty much bolt on anyway and easily removed, unlike cams, heads and other race mods to the engine. If those were the only items concerning you i would give the car a good look and make sure there is no Craig list scam and then decide . Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Get an 09 or later... better electronic package... like Bluetooth.
Look for 3LT & Z51
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Fwiw I had two c5 s..one z51 1999 and a 2001 c5 z06 modded etc...

I love my purchased new 2008 c6 z51 coupe and I've put 113k miles on it.

I love this car..

If your looking at a black on black manual z51 convertible...

I highly recommend...

The ls2 versus ls3 engine is nothing ..36 hp? Who cares...and I have the ls3 with a air intake, a tune and a cow booster, MGW short throw shifter..

I'd recommend 20 to 23 grand tops...but I can say my ownership experience of my c6 has been so good...I can't bring myself to sell the car...lol

I've come to the conclusion the c6 manual in either z51 or z06 is a very analog like driving experience...which is cool and yet it's performance is quite contemporary..

I did put in a beautiful D shaped thick steering wheel from DSV....since it's a constant touch point. I like the soft thick leather rim and recommend that as a smart interior modification...

I think I did the soft center console cover as a good mod too....as is the elbow touch points on the door panels...

I'm really happy with this 190 mph road rocket...pulls 1.0 lateral cornering g 's...accelerates to sixty in four seconds...

I think if you want more...an edlebrock supercharger by itself would be a cool mod down the road if you think you need 550 hp...

I hear they are very dependable and seamless in ownership if you just need 550 hp...or with the z06 fuel pump and a tune 600 hp is easy to achieve and keep the drivetrain together...

I find the little cow booster mod all I need to laugh every time I start this beast up..

For twenty grand a low mileage c6 (under 100k miles ) is a smart move..

I wouldn't shy away from really high mileage versions (over 100k ) based off my experience for 17 grand...

The car has been utterly reliable...and prices are so low...it's a steal.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Fwiw I had two c5 s..one z51 1999 and a 2001 c5 z06 modded etc...

I love my purchased new 2008 c6 z51 coupe and I've put 113k miles on it.

I love this car..

If your looking at a black on black manual z51 convertible...

I highly recommend...

The ls2 versus ls3 engine is nothing ..36 hp? Who cares...and I have the ls3 with a air intake, a tune and a cow booster, MGW short throw shifter..

I'd recommend 20 to 23 grand tops...but I can say my ownership experience of my c6 has been so good...I can't bring myself to sell the car...lol

I've come to the conclusion the c6 manual in either z51 or z06 is a very analog like driving experience...which is cool and yet it's performance is quite contemporary..

I did put in a beautiful D shaped thick steering wheel from DSV....since it's a constant touch point. I like the soft thick leather rim and recommend that as a smart interior modification...

I think I did the soft center console cover as a good mod too....as is the elbow touch points on the door panels...

I'm really happy with this 190 mph road rocket...pulls 1.0 lateral cornering g 's...accelerates to sixty in four seconds...

I think if you want more...an edlebrock supercharger by itself would be a cool mod down the road if you think you need 550 hp...

I hear they are very dependable and seamless in ownership if you just need 550 hp...or with the z06 fuel pump and a tune 600 hp is easy to achieve and keep the drivetrain together...

I find the little cow booster mod all I need to laugh every time I start this beast up..

For twenty grand a low mileage c6 (under 100k miles ) is a smart move..

I wouldn't shy away from really high mileage versions (over 100k ) based off my experience for 17 grand...

The car has been utterly reliable...and prices are so low...it's a steal.
Thanks for sharing some valuable insight - since I am in the "seriously considering" mode - having such vision is helpful.

* I believe having the Z51 handling pkg is desirable - but if I would someday change over to coil overs (and maybe Z06 sway bars), lower it and get a little aggressive alignment - wouldn't that basically make Z51 meaningless? If feel the car would get a much better handling with aftermarket parts than the Z51.
* I do agree with the LS2 vs LS3. The missing 36HP can be gained by CIA, headers, exhaust and a tune. For me, I don't need any more HP. I don't do drag races or track. For road, it's faster than most cars.
* I've never used a short throw shifter, but since most people driving manuals like it, I figured that maybe a worthwhile, and not too expensive mod.
* Cow booster you mentioned - sorry, I've no idea what that it...
* I love the interior mods you mentioned. I think C6 went backwards on interior, buttons, *****, etc. C5 had a better flowing interior. But I'd love to mod it to get a smoother sports car feel, than a truck feel.
* The pricing you mentioned is roughly where he's at - hope he comes down a bit. I honestly, wish he didn't have the headers & exhaust - if it's gonna be a cheap part, I'd rather not have it. But it sounds so much better though... :-)

Thanks!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 08-27-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:22 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I bought my 07 new. Has been a great daily driver/fun weekend car. Very reliable even with LG long tubes and LG tune put on in first 6 months of ownership. I am now at 188,600 miles and it is as strong as ever.

If properly maintained that mileage is of no concern. I don't feel mine was broke in till 50,000 miles.

Good luck.

Pic taken at 178,000 miles.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:24 PM
wayback
Team Owner

You can have the grey parts hydrodipped in CF pattern. TKO did mine.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wayback
I bought my 07 new. Has been a great daily driver/fun weekend car. Very reliable even with LG long tubes and LG tune put on in first 6 months of ownership. I am now at 188,600 miles and it is as strong as ever.

If properly maintained that mileage is of no concern. I don't feel mine was broke in till 50,000 miles.

Good luck.

Pic taken at 178,000 miles.
It has 188K miles - car looks new... Love the mirrors, wheels, lights... you've got the Black & White thing going on - looking exotic. Love the spoiler on it too. Hardly see White cars looking this good.. Makes me want to get a coupe instead of a vert....Lol. But I've had a coupe, so want to try something different now!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 08-27-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wayback
You can have the grey parts hydrodipped in CF pattern. TKO did mine.
That looks Sophisticated - like a BMW...Lol Can you please share (or PM me) TKO's contact info, and about how much it cost you? The 2 Tone looks great too...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 08-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To * * Thinking of getting a C6 - Need Everyone's Feedback * *

Old 08-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

Craigslist can have some good fines as well as bad Just depends on the seller and how well he is taking care of his vehicle As mentioned previously have the seller take a picture of the sticker on the glove box door with all the BUILD codes and it will tell you what was on the car originally. I bought my 2000 C6 off of craigslist and had the owner do a FaceTime with me or if the car so that I could look at its condition and hear it run and see things like the exhaust and the interior. FaceTime or Skype can be great tools in this case
Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
That looks Sophisticated - like a BMW...Lol Can you please share (or PM me) TKO's contact info, and about how much it cost you? The 2 Tone looks great too...
Thanks.

TKO is a supporting vendor here. Talk to Ed, he is a great guy. Product is top notch also. Started doing mine in 08 and all of it still looks brand new.

Here ia a link to the pattern I have.
http://www.tkoperformance.com/2005-2007_c_4827.html

They can do OEM patterns also.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 10:41 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Check the balancer pulley to see if its wobbling and how bad. Prepare $1000 for repair. Check for uneven tire wear. Sounds like a 22k car to me.

Quick Reply: * * Thinking of getting a C6 - Need Everyone's Feedback * *