C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labor Day Weekend Project- Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Labor Day Weekend Project- Ceramic Coating

Sorry for the bad picks but tackled prepping and Ceramic coating my GS this weekend. It was a lot of work but definitely worth it. I've switch from Zaino that I was using on my previous car to Adams for my GS. The finish is fantastic and application of the actual coating was pretty easy. I was a little nervous after watching some video's and the fear that its "permanent" so if you mess it up its a lot of work to correct it.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 PM
ray_ray
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks great
Old 09-04-2017, 03:57 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

It does look great! So, what was the process of preping and coating the car? Is it like waxing? Does it take a lot longer than waxing? Is it considerably more expensive than wax?

Last edited by RagTop69; 09-04-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
It does look great! So, what was the process of preping and coating the car? Is it like waxing? Does it take a lot longer than waxing? Is it considerably more expensive than wax?
Depends on what wax you are looking at. Some waxes can get up to $100.00.
The process I followed after much research was
-Wash with Dawn Dishwashing fluid to get the dealer wax off it
-Clay bar with lubricant
-Wash again
-Then polished with Adams finishing Polish with a random orbital polisher, my paint was in good condition so the finishing polish is all that was needed.
-Wiped it down with Adams coating Prep
-Then applied the Ceramic coating
-Next day wiped it down with Adams Ceramic Boost

I took it out for a ride earlier today and still can't get over the gloss.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good job!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:48 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Car looks great; nice work. I have applied coatings to two of my cars, and follow the same procedure you listed.......except, I never use Dawn liquid to wash. Dawn is strong detergent that will pull the oils out of the rubber and plastic trim and dry them out. I use a regular car wash soap- right now it's Duragloss.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

While I agree that Dawn isn't the best choice for washing a vehicle, most car soaps are not designed to strip off glazes, sealants, or waxes that have been applied. In truth, most of the time we wouldn't want that, since it would mean having to reapply protective layers after every time we wash. So, when washing to prep for this kind of clear coat correction, it's best to use a car soap that is designed to strip off anything that has been applied. This gets you to clear coat, which is what is worked on in the claying, compounding, and polishing stages of correction. Once the clear coat is in "perfect" condition, then a final wipe with whatever coating prep your system suggests, time for that to flash off, then application of the coating.

For proper adhesion, it's important that that final wipe be done before the coating. If the system you're using doesn't have a specific product for that step (some do and some don't), then a quick wipe of 15% solution of IPA (isopropyl alcohol) works well. Just spray it on, then wipe off with a decent microfiber towel, then allow ten to fifteen minutes to make sure it has all evaporated off. Then apply the coating.
The following users liked this post:
Knoxrower (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Had mine done by a pro a few month ago and it still looks great even after being in the rain and not being washed. The water just runs right off. Should last 5-7 years like this.
It was expensive but worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Labor Day Weekend Project- Ceramic Coating

Quick Reply: Labor Day Weekend Project- Ceramic Coating