C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '07 C6 has LEFT TURN Signal fast blink..?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My '07 C6 has LEFT TURN Signal fast blink..?!?!?!

Hey forum,

I've been experiencing a "fast blinking" for my LEFT TURN signal only. When this first happened I read that it was a bad bulb. So I replaced the bulb on left side. When I took old bulb out...it looked fine to me..but I replaced anyway.

So what I now have is usually when I first start to drive, my left blinker works normally, but after about 10 minutes or so, it starts fast blinking when engaged....

I've tried to reset the bulb... pushing it firmly in socket.... still have the same "intermittent: problem. Again they usually work when engine is cold and then after about 10 mins, the left side begins blinking fast when left turn signal is engaged...

very frustrating.

one note is that I had something strange like this happen with my LOW BEAM headlights... but,.. as we all know..that is now a recall... I manually fixed my own a couple of years ago before they recalled.

anyway... I'm now wondering IF this intermittent left turn signal issue...is the same type of fusebox "broken wire" issue as the LOW BEAM Headlight.... fusebox "broken wire" issue....

ANY help is appreciated...thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Hey forum,

I've been experiencing a "fast blinking" for my LEFT TURN signal only. When this first happened I read that it was a bad bulb. So I replaced the bulb on left side. When I took old bulb out...it looked fine to me..but I replaced anyway.

So what I now have is usually when I first start to drive, my left blinker works normally, but after about 10 minutes or so, it starts fast blinking when engaged....

I've tried to reset the bulb... pushing it firmly in socket.... still have the same "intermittent: problem. Again they usually work when engine is cold and then after about 10 mins, the left side begins blinking fast when left turn signal is engaged...

very frustrating.

one note is that I had something strange like this happen with my LOW BEAM headlights... but,.. as we all know..that is now a recall... I manually fixed my own a couple of years ago before they recalled.

anyway... I'm now wondering IF this intermittent left turn signal issue...is the same type of fusebox "broken wire" issue as the LOW BEAM Headlight.... fusebox "broken wire" issue....

ANY help is appreciated...thanks!
I assume you are talking about the front signal. Check and see if the back one is working. Sometimes they will pick up speed when one side is out. Just a chance. Otherwise like you say could be in the socket, or maybe the turn signal relay.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:53 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
I assume you are talking about the front signal. Check and see if the back one is working. Sometimes they will pick up speed when one side is out. Just a chance. Otherwise like you say could be in the socket, or maybe the turn signal relay.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:04 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Welker1
And relays most often are a problem when they warm up because some operate by getting hot then go off and then back on. Would think that would affect both front and back but maybe not..
Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Probably low on blinker fluid, I would check it right away
The following 2 users liked this post by mcandrew67:
Randy_in_MD (02-10-2018), rc51racer (09-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Cruising

When I first start the car..and it is cool,...then the LEFT blinker works normally. But after just a few minutes like 5 minutes...then the LEFT side blinker does the fast blinking when used. The FRONT LEFT OUTSIDE BLINKER LIGHT does NOT WORK, the REAR LEFT Blinkers do work, but blink very fast. Also, the inside lights display and blink fast on LEFT... right side appears to be working fine.......

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Cruising

Originally Posted by mcandrew67

Is this joke .....still out there...? Hum,..I think it's been used up....
The following users liked this post:
michaeltk1 (02-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Cruising

And relays most often are a problem when they warm up because some operate by getting hot then go off and then back on. Would think that would affect both front and back but maybe not..
Sounds like something to try...I'll try and see if this fixed my issue...
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

This happens when a bulb is burned out or the bulb loses contact within the socket and that's treated by the system as a burned out bulb so you get the fast blink notification.

I had this happen and thought the bulb was burned out (front left) and, like the OP, replaced it. Worked. Several days later it happened again and the bulb appeared to be burned out again. Well, it really wasn't. Instead it was a loose socket (found out by pushing the bulb into the socket harder and it worked.) Stopped when I took my hand off the bulb. Thus proving it was simply a loose socket.

The fix was to take very thin gauge wire and wrap it around the socket and bulb shoulder to hold it down harder and force contact. That was a couple years ago and it still works.

Then the right one did the same thing and, since I had an extended warranty and another issue taking place, I had the dealer fix it and that was to replace the socket. That's still working too. I should have removed the wire from the left side and had them replace that one too!

So check to see if the bulb is just loose. If so, it's a bad socket that needs to be replaced or you can try to hold it down harder like I did with wire.
MP35N (02-09-2018)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Is this joke .....still out there...? Hum,..I think it's been used up....
clearly it is
Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 PM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Is that near the johnson rod?
Old 10-04-2017, 07:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

But of course we know that the C6 doesn't use a relay to do the blinking...done by the BCM...solid state. I'm betting on an intermittent filament inside the bulb itself.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Cruising

I had a LOW BEAM issue awhile back few years ago....that is NOW a RECALL. I Fixed mine myself by removing the FUSE BOX and replacing the section of copper wire that was causing the lowbeam issue when engine bay heated up. I think this same blinker issue is being caused by the same copper wire type of BREAK which results from the heat in the engine bay being too hot and over time causing some of the copper wires in the fusebox frame to shrink and expand..so much that they break..

I'll be removing my fuxbox again...to see if I can locate the wire break.

This would account for my left blinker working when I first start the care and drive for about 5 minutes....then my blinker acting like its out..and doing the fast blink....

Anyway..I'll let you know if this fixed it.... I'm pretty confident it will...

regards.

Last edited by Vettes_Rule_The_Road; 01-28-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:39 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The real issue is impedance/resistive load. A relay needs a resistive load on it to work properly. When the load goes to infinite (no bulb filament) the relay doesnt work properly per design. On older cars the signal would freeze rather than go fast. A similar thing happens when you attach a trailer though that is because the relay on turn signals are two-way but operating 3-4 bulbs, thus again causing the relay to flash fast. In that case you have to upgrade the flasher (relay) to a 4-way relay used for emergency flashers!
The following 2 users liked this post by gliot1:
Burbaby (06-12-2018), carsnpars (09-03-2019)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by kevinkar
This happens when a bulb is burned out or the bulb loses contact within the socket and that's treated by the system as a burned out bulb so you get the fast blink notification.

I had this happen and thought the bulb was burned out (front left) and, like the OP, replaced it. Worked. Several days later it happened again and the bulb appeared to be burned out again. Well, it really wasn't. Instead it was a loose socket (found out by pushing the bulb into the socket harder and it worked.) Stopped when I took my hand off the bulb. Thus proving it was simply a loose socket.

The fix was to take very thin gauge wire and wrap it around the socket and bulb shoulder to hold it down harder and force contact. That was a couple years ago and it still works.

Then the right one did the same thing and, since I had an extended warranty and another issue taking place, I had the dealer fix it and that was to replace the socket. That's still working too. I should have removed the wire from the left side and had them replace that one too!

So check to see if the bulb is just loose. If so, it's a bad socket that needs to be replaced or you can try to hold it down harder like I did with wire.

Not a joke. Same problem.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:34 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

My guess is it has be to be bulb socket. I'd take it out and look at the connections inside for corrosion or something in there that's not right where the bulb is loose. I like to take a sharp object like a small screw driver and scrape any potential corrosion on the contacts off, then follow up with an electrical contact cleaner/lubricant and spray some in there. Do both the front and back of the car as either end could cause the same issue. Good luck.
Burbaby (06-12-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-working.html

Get notified of new replies

To My '07 C6 has LEFT TURN Signal fast blink..?!?!?!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:10 AM
Vettes_Rule_The_Road
Cruising

2007 CORVETTE C6 BASE MODEL Z51

Ok I finally got around to fixing my problem.

It turned out to be another issue with my FUSEBOX copper wiring. I had an issue a few years ago with my headlights not working,..after about 5-10 minutes of driving.

For this issue, after about 3-5 minutes of driving my LEFT Turn Signal would not work and inside the car I would receive a FAST BLINKING left turn indicator when engaging the left turn signal.

The issue was related to the FUSEBOX. I again had to remove my fusebox and open it to view the copper wiring inside it. This time I left all of my fuses and relays intact. I did not remove each one like I did last time (headache!!). Anyway, after removing the fusebox I went to my dining table and opened up the back of the fusebox to expose the copper wiring inside. (i can post instructions on how to do this if needed)...

Once open I took a magnifying glass and visually inspected each wire,...it can be very difficult to locate but if you use a bright light or a flashlight and the magnifying glass you can visually locate the small tiny break in the copper wiring. whichever wire has the break...you need to replace.

Go to HOME Depot and get a pack of 20 Gauge Copper Wire. $10.00. Then take a picture of the wiring diagram as it is with you smart phone. make sure its a clear picture in case you need to reference it once the old wire piece is removed.

So remove ONLY the wire that is broken and measure out a new piece of new wire. Remove / strip the plastic outer coating to expose the copper wire. Carefully rewire /replace the wire. I used a flathead screw driver to help me press the new wire into its groove.

then I put the fusebox cover back together...and replaced the fusebox in the car....and boom... blinker issue is now fixed...!!

Again, I'm lazy...if you need more info / pictures..just ask... you can also search for another issue related to HEADLIGHTS NOT WORKING and it has instructions and pictures of how to remove fusebox and replace the broken copper wire...

Also,..there is a recall on the HEADLIGHT NOT WORKING issue..so you may be able to get it fixed that way...but I just did it my self... because this was all before the recall had come out....

Mike...V

Last edited by Vettes_Rule_The_Road; 04-06-2018 at 12:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vettes_Rule_The_Road:
Burbaby (06-12-2018), joliett (04-06-2018)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:24 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Hello after all this time.... I have the same exact problem .. I tried the low beam fix but the wire that I changed didn’t help. Even had a close up pic of the wire to remove but I ended up taking it in for the recall. Turn signal still does not work, changed harness(socket) and turn signal/ headlight switch. I have a running light ONLY when the headlights are on . The wire you fixed is from the bottom of the fuse or relay 8/37? This is frustrating was hoping you could point me it the right direction. It was hard enough to take the fuse box out with all the fuses and relays out, you did it with them in? To help see where the wires are underneath? .....Ron
Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnpars
Hello after all this time.... I have the same exact problem .. I tried the low beam fix but the wire that I changed didn’t help. Even had a close up pic of the wire to remove but I ended up taking it in for the recall. Turn signal still does not work, changed harness(socket) and turn signal/ headlight switch. I have a running light ONLY when the headlights are on . The wire you fixed is from the bottom of the fuse or relay 8/37? This is frustrating was hoping you could point me it the right direction. It was hard enough to take the fuse box out with all the fuses and relays out, you did it with them in? To help see where the wires are underneath? .....Ron
Glad you saw this thread. Was fixing to send to you. Might be the fix to your problem.

Quick Reply: My '07 C6 has LEFT TURN Signal fast blink..?!?!?!