C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Is the shift linkage bushing/grommet on an A6 different in LS3 vs LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default HELP! Is the shift linkage bushing/grommet on an A6 different in LS3 vs LS2?

As mentioned in a previous thread regarding what appears to maybe be an issue with the grommet, my '08 A6 is now stuck in N. It does not lock into any of the other gears.

However, after searching O'Reilly's, Advance, AutoZone, etc... no one has a bushing that shows to fit my car. I noticed several threads where people with LS2's were using either the #14041 or the #14055 part number, but those do not show as compatible. Does anyone with an LS3 know if that is accurate?

While I'm on the subject of repairing this, I'm not much of a DIYer so I'm sure even if it's only the bushing that is causing the problem this will be a frustrating project for me. From various posts I have found it looks as though this may be able to be done by removing the console and repairing from inside the car. Would it be any easier to lift the car on jack stands and work from underneath without taking apart any of the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for your help. This is my DD and I'm freaking out about whether I will be able to get this up and running before Monday.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Name:  photo779.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  1.08 MB
This is the pack I got from o Reillys. It had one that fit the shifter connection. It could be either one of the two grommets/bushings that have gone bad. I could tell from lack of resistance that it was the shifter grommet. If you have a floor jack and jack stands, you can check first if it's the one at the trans. The shift arm on the trans is basically in the center of the car between where your butt is and the front of the rear tire. Not super far in but your car rear needs to be up in air kinda like you're changing oil. Three ton jack stands work for me.
As far as the console. I took the console lid off to help with access. I pulled the park brake lever boot up at the console. There are two plugs inside of the console near where the power plug is. Pop those and then there are two torx screws, undo those. (I also removed the two screws in front of the rake lever but I don't think I needed to). Some said you didn't need to take the shift **** off, but I did. Then pull up from the rear of the console( where the storage area is) and the console comes up. There are four 10mm nuts keeping the shifter mech in place. Pull those out and the cable will be there. I used pick tools to clean out the bushing. The new bushing snaps right in with no force at all. I used a drop of dielectric grease for lube and a pair of line handled needle nose pliers to snap the connector back on to shifter. Reassembled and all was well.
Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by sluggballz:
Flash_Gordon (09-23-2017), Not So Fast (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

LS2 and LS 3 use the same grommet. There are two, one at each end of the shifter cable. The top one is replaced easily by removing your console. If the grommet at the other end of the cable broke, you will have to do that one from under the car where the cable attaches at the transmission.
There are several YouTube videos that will show you how to remove your console. Search C6 console removal.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Flash_Gordon (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Well, I removed the console, and my shifter was in the park position, though still stuck in neutral gear, so I had to turn the accessories on and slide it to neutral to get it out of the way.

​​​I replaced the grommet, but now I can't get it to shift back into park... Or reverse, or sport for that matter.

To add to the confusion, it suddenly decided to no longer detect the fobs.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:37 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Fob issue may just be a dead or low battery due to doors open or you working on the car and pulled the battery voltage down too low.
Shift cable issues sound like problems at the lower end of the cable, possibly cable adjustment clip broken at transmission end of cable. BTW, change both bushings - if one is bad, so is the other.
Flash_Gordon (09-28-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Just curious, when you removed the console to access the shifter, was the shifter indeed not attached to the shift cable? I ask because you stated that you are not much of a DIY'er, and many have had trouble getting the broken grommet out of the shift cable, or have bent the cable in their effort to remove the grommet.
Flash_Gordon (09-28-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

It was still attached to the shift cable, but very brittle. Took little effort to separate. The hardest part was getting the grommet out. While cleaning the grommet out of the shift cable very well I could have bent it. I tried to be careful of that, but it's a possibility.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

UPDATE:

So Monday morning I gave up, and had it towed to the dealership. Turns out that I did not bend the cable... but it was broke on the back end. The shifter assembly was also broke. They had to remove my headers and full exhaust to get to the cable. While they had that off I had them replace my vent solenoid so I could clear my P0449 code.

I picked her up today, and she's running great. For those curious, it was $420 for all parts, and $910 for labor... plus tax. With a warranty that will be good for about 8 months. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my 40th birthday, but I'm glad I was able to get her back.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Is the shift linkage bushing/grommet on an A6 different in LS3 vs LS2?

Quick Reply: HELP! Is the shift linkage bushing/grommet on an A6 different in LS3 vs LS2?