C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarMax Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:14 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Most cars go to auction. Dealers may find it easier to sell a truck than a vette in that area, maybe they have too many sports cars on the lot already, etc.
Exactly. A lot of dealers want nothing to do with Corvettes.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Joeman57
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carmax

I'm new here but already I feel that there is a great deal of information.
It's been a long time since I last owned a Vette (er..40 years..don't judge!) so I will take my time and get exactly what I want. Thanks everyone for the great replies.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 PM
sid09vette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 2009 Corvette Z51 from the 4 years ago and had a very good experience with them. I wanted particular color, options and California or southern car. They were the only company that can provide that. My car was from California and the windshield got damage during the shipping. They replaced with the new one. They also, gave me $2,500.00 for my old 2005 Nissan Altima, where the local dealer won't give me any for it.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,052 Posts

QUOTE: Hassle or haggle free pricing translates to they get their asking price but give you under value for your trade. I can’t understand how the car buyers could ever fall for such a rip off sales tactic. Do this, put the book retail price no more just whatever book comes to on your windshield. When you pull in and the salesman jumps you as soon as you get out asking you what that is just say that is my no hassle or no haggle trade in so it saves us all the aggravation just like your price. See how good of an idea they think it is then. Yes I am a pot stirrer but despise sales tactics that assume all people are stupid and they make them believe selling you a car they won’t negotiate on is a good deal for anyone but them. And to answer your question about those particular dealers they along with Saturn originated that tactic so that’s my answer sir.

There is nothing underhanded about "no haggle pricing" and your attempt to correlate Saturn's demise to their fixed price policy is wrong. I like to negotiate the price of cars but a lot of people, if not most, hate the process and appreciate a "posted" price. Rydell Automotive is one of GM's largest dealer groups and has had a "no hassle" pricing policy in place for years and their business is thriving.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 09-23-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I bought my garage queen from CarMax. 2008 A6 JSB 3LT Z51 NPP with 4,951 miles for $33K. It has everything that I wanted. I thought the price was fair. The only thing I hate about my vette, CarMax drilled holes for the license plate. If you're lucky like me, you'll get 3 instead of 2. The sales rep was kind of a douche. He was rushing me to buy it when I knew for a fact that I would. He said that it may not be there tomorrow even though I paid to have it shipped. I was angry with his statement but my excitement for my vette calmed me down. I rushed to my bank and came back before CarMax closed. Signed some papers and drove my vette home. I have no regrets.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:27 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeman57
Question is then why did it end up at auction for them buy it in the first place. Isn't a car that ends at auction a sign that something is not quite right?
If the car is in great shape why would a dealer send it to auction?
No, it is not a sign at all. Many, many late model cars go to auction. A dealer might take a trade in that does not fit well in his inventory, or he made a great deal on the car he sold, and just wants to get out of that car, and free up $$ so he can focus on his "sweet spot". Ex: A Dodge dealer with a couple nice Vipers on the lot might take a Vette in trade, but may not want it sitting on his lot while he is trying to get top $$ for his Viper(s). He is not known at all for Corvettes, and all it will do is muck up his plans for the Vipers.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Signal_20
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is nothing underhanded about "no haggle pricing" and your attempt to correlate Saturn's demise to their fixed price policy is wrong. I like to negotiate the price of cars but a lot of people, if not most, hate the process and appreciate a "posted" price. Rydell Automotive is one of GM's largest dealer groups and has had a "no hassle" pricing policy in place for years and their business is thriving.[/QUOTE]

I am glad to hear your advice maybe you can explain it to me since I am obviously in a minority in this thread which I am OK with a lot of people here have good experience with the process so I would love to be educated. Why would it be a good deal to just pay their asking price "no haggle" when they will absolutely want to haggle over your trade price? I understand from a lot of you they a lot of the time give you a good trade price but still will haggle your trade and most likely won't give you what you want. I thought that was your objective when buying and trading was to get the best price for your trade possible or do you feel you are? Not being a smart a$$ I really would like to know your opinion and if I am wrong in mine I am good with that. Just FYI and in fairness I have had one experience with Carmax and it was not a good one but that happens everywhere at some point I guess.

Jim

Last edited by Signal_20; 09-23-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:21 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I am glad to hear your advice maybe you can explain it to me since I am obviously in a minority in this thread which I am OK with a lot of people here have good experience with the process so I would love to be educated. Why would it be a good deal to just pay their asking price "no haggle" when they will absolutely want to haggle over your trade price? I understand from a lot of you they a lot of the time give you a good trade price but still will haggle your trade and most likely won't give you what you want. I thought that was your objective when buying and trading was to get the best price for your trade possible or do you feel you are? Not being a smart a$$ I really would like to know your opinion and if I am wrong in mine I am good with that. Just FYI and in fairness I have had one experience with Carmax and it was not a good one but that happens everywhere at some point I guess.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim, In theory, the "no haggle" dealers have already lowered the price of the vehicle they are selling to a reasonable price, rather than inflating the price, then negotiating it down to the same point. That is what attracts buyers...they feel they get to the same price point, without all the stress. MANY folks would gladly pay an extra thou to not have to go through all the crap that most dealers make you go through to save that thou. I am not one of them, but to each his/her own.

I have monitored Carmax Vette prices pretty closely for the last two years, and they almost always are well below the starting price of most dealers. In a few cases, I have seen them drop the price on a car that does not move quickly, but that is rare, and not anything to count on.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 09-24-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:24 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chase0808
Speaking as a carmax employee, I would almost never buy a car from them. I do agree that the warranty is nice and all but the price isn't worth it(and I get a "discount"). This might not be a popular opinion but I have always got my vehicles from craigslist or other similar sites where its a private seller. In the end its your money and your car so you do what you think is best.
Chase,

If you like your job, you should delete the above comment immediately. If you worked for me, and publicly made a statement like that, I would ind a way to get rid of you as quickly as possible.

I appreciate your honesty, but don't want to see you lose your job over an opinion. And, yes, it might be fairly easy to figure out who you are.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Joeman57
Question is then why did it end up at auction for them buy it in the first place. Isn't a car that ends at auction a sign that something is not quite right?
If the car is in great shape why would a dealer send it to auction?
Not at all true. A Porsche dealer might take a Corvette on trade and they know it will be a tuff sale on their lot and will take it to the auction. Same with a lot of hi end dealers. Trading a car is a totally different transaction at Car Max has nothing to do with the car you are buying. There is a lot of WRONG information on this about car Max.
I know I worked for them for over 5 years was a Presidents Club Diamond member and a corp trainer. When the C5 1st came out Car Max had a new Chev dealer in Wi. and we used to sell new Corvettes at our discount price to D & M Corvette in Glen Ellyn for the same price anyone would pay. They would pick up 7/ 8 Corvettes at a time and resale them at a mark up at their store
Car Max goes through every car before they put it on the lot. Those that don't make the cut are sold at their auction to other dealers only then they resell them to the public. Most dealers that are near a Car Max love it since if someone doesn't like the offer they give them on trade, they tell them to take it to Car Max. Every day we had dealers driving their customers over to sell us their customers cars so they can sell them a new car
The following users liked this post:
Signal_20 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 03:50 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Signal_20

I am glad to hear your advice maybe you can explain it to me since I am obviously in a minority in this thread which I am OK with a lot of people here have good experience with the process so I would love to be educated. Why would it be a good deal to just pay their asking price "no haggle" when they will absolutely want to haggle over your trade price?
Jim
They don't. The trade or buy price is EXACTLY the same and they are as fixed as the sale prices.

You CAN point out features which you think will raise your trade's value but once the offer's made, it's take it or walk.

Quick Reply: CarMax Corvettes