C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E40 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Wes Burch
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E40 Replacement

2005 Vette, 6spd, 110k miles. The original E40 failed at 6 years. The replacement E40 has now failed (also at 6 years). Maybe it is just a coincidence. Maybe not. But clearly the E40 was a 1 to 2 year bridge ECM to the E38/E67 and may have not been GM’s best effort. Friends in the ECM repair business say no one is repairing the E40 because of the way the PCBs are made. A quick search finds very few E40s available (at about $500 each). Those same friends say the only units available are take-out units that have been cleaned up and tested. So I asked myself if there is an alternative to either an expensive old-age ECM or having expensive yard art. Another friend in the business says he heard that someone has successfully swapped an '04 Vette 411 ECM into a '05 Vette. 1M 411s were used in so many platforms across so many years there must be a gazillion of them. Swapping E40 pins to 411 pins and loading the two 411 connectors would be a lot of work w/o a reasonable chance of success. So I have a few questions: Does anyone know if the serial and GMLAN protocols are common across those two years? What about BCM / ECM OS compatibility? Has anyone really done this and did they document it? If they did, did they need a TECH II or some such device to make the switch?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'll bump this TTT but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who knows that answer. In any case, I'd PM/EM "cclive" Chris , "HOXXOH" Tom, or "FortMorganAl" (note: the last letter is a small L)
Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

That's for the referral, Bill, but that question is way above my pay grade. I'm not a know-it-all, I just play one on the internet.

I would try Tech-Performance forum but expect a slower response over there.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
That's for the referral, Bill, but that question is way above my pay grade. I'm not a know-it-all, I just play one on the internet.

Same here... I don't even know what an E40 is....

Last edited by cclive; 10-07-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:14 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

E40s leave some to be desired over an E38 and needed a few work arounds if you were performance modding. E38s and E67s opened up the door, but Speed Density can stump some tuners until you get VE down pat....

If you're talking straight engine management, why not simplify it with an aftermarket ECM? The challenge is getting other modules like BCM talking. Actually, better retract that unless you're going full track where you can strip everything else out.

On another note - have you looked into a rebuild on the E40? That might be an option. Check with Chuck Cow. He might have a solution.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-07-2017 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (10-10-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 03:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Guys, guys---shows you how far out of it I WAS! When I first read the title, I thought: "Why is this fellow asking a question about a BMW or MB?" Fortunately, I didn't admit my ignorance...right away.

Blindspot tho has a good idea and suggestion: rebuild. But I wonder who does it, nationwide?

Just did a google; may not be a good source but here it is: https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+E....0.Ko676oDhfwY

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Originally Posted by cclive
Same here... I don't even know what an E40 is....
Old 10-07-2017, 04:32 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

There are two possibilities for repair. Took a while to shake cobwebs loose.

Chuck Cow is a definite possibility - Chuck has a program where he does ECU swaps, if I recall. If the OPs ECU is not bricked, Chuck might have an answer.

DSX Tuning (supporting Vendor) - is an ECU expert. He might also have an exchange, a purchase option, or something. Look him up. He is occasionally on Tune forum.

The real challenge with the E40 is it was pretty much a unique/dead end platform with limited use, so there might not be a lot of support in the repair/exchange world. I've not touched or looked inside an E40 and can only relay what I've heard.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I'm kinda short on free time but......

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
E40s leave some to be desired over an E38 and needed a few work arounds if you were performance modding. E38s and E67s opened up the door, but Speed Density can stump some tuners until you get VE down pat....

If you're talking straight engine management, why not simplify it with an aftermarket ECM? The challenge is getting other modules like BCM talking. Actually, better retract that unless you're going full track where you can strip everything else out.

On another note - have you looked into a rebuild on the E40? That might be an option. Check with Chuck Cow. He might have a solution.
There is not really another option right now. I have some E40s if you need one and can (and usually do) send them

out with CoW BOOSTERS! installed when they die on people.

Charge systems problems or dead batteries are the most likely cause I assume, but they are the most temper-mental

of the Corvette controllers from what I've seen... Lately I have trouble keeping them on the bench.

I'm kinda short on free time but...... I have been sorta working on a simple solution here and there as time permits.

This thread has sparked some new interest in the "E40 winter project" I've been fooling with.

Please keep me in mind if you need an ECM and either way, it's something I'm going to work on finishing up

just as soon as I can get around to it.

914-332-0049

Thanks for the mention here guys!
Chuck CoW
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default As of recently, I have a good many of these....

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
There are two possibilities for repair. Took a while to shake cobwebs loose.

Chuck Cow is a definite possibility - Chuck has a program where he does ECU swaps, if I recall. If the OPs ECU is not bricked, Chuck might have an answer.

DSX Tuning (supporting Vendor) - is an ECU expert. He might also have an exchange, a purchase option, or something. Look him up. He is occasionally on Tune forum.

The real challenge with the E40 is it was pretty much a unique/dead end platform with limited use, so there might not be a lot of support in the repair/exchange world. I've not touched or looked inside an E40 and can only relay what I've heard.

As of recently, I have a good many of these.... Please call me with your situation and hopefully you've done some reasonable diag in advance.

I'll get you back on the road !

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To E40 Replacement

Quick Reply: E40 Replacement