C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust belt Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:46 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Rust belt Corvette!

It's been a long time coming! I finally sold the house up North, and have become a Floridian! I started looking for C6 Vert 08 up with 6sp manual and Z51. I've narrowed my search mostly to the Southeast, but this car is really hard to find. Most everything I have seen online have been Autos, or grossly overpriced.

I finally found just what I was looking for! 08 vert, manual, Z51 with 25,000 miles, for a very reasonable price! One minor problem, located up North. I said to myself, that people that have these cars, wouldn't dare drive them in the winter with sand and salt on the road! The photos looked very nice, so I called the dealer, and told him I was in Florida, and I'd have to have it shipped. I also asked him to please take some photos of the undercarriage. I told him living up North over the last 20 years, and driving my cars in the winter, I had to junk 3 cars.

Some how my keyboard just posted this unfinished post!

So I'm just going to continue.
He very kindly sent me pictures, and I couldn't believe that someone did indeed drive this car quite frequently in the winter after the roads were sanded and salted.

Here is one photo of the front passenger wheel, check out the deposit in the inside rim, and salt on the fender well! It broke my heart, because I really wanted this car! Once that stuff bonds to almost any metallic surface, it's just a matter of time!

Last edited by marinablu67; 11-06-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:48 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Congrats on finally getting to the warm south. Hope everything works out on the car. Let us know and it didn't happen without pics.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:00 PM
ART T
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Which side of the bay do you live?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:10 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Congrats on finally getting to the warm south. Hope everything works out on the car. Let us know and it didn't happen without pics.

Thanks, but I didn't buy the car. That stuff gets into everywhere, and corrodes whatever it's on, even if you use a high pressure hose!

I had enough rusted cars! The search continues.

Last edited by marinablu67; 11-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just see a nasty under carriage.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
Thanks, but I didn't buy the car. That stuff gets into everywhere, and corrodes whatever it's on, even if you use a high pressure hose!

I had enough rusted cars! The search continues.
Yup, that's why we put them to bed before the first salt trucks come out. And it's worse now than it used to be because of the salt/calcium mixtures they use today.
marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:27 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

suspension looks fine. I'll bet the wheels can be cleaned and will go for the life of the car.

Every time I look at the bottom of every car I cringe, there's dirt and grease under there too.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:03 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,450 Likes on 2,804 Posts

It looks like brake dust and road grime to me?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:37 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ Me too. Looks like a car that was treated like a car and just driven, instead of being doted on.

Surprisingly, not everyone enjoys cleaning wheel barrels and detailing undercarriages.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

dont know anyone that cleans underneath, takes wheels off etc
most do a basic wash and drive
Old 11-07-2017, 12:59 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Power wash the undercarriage?

It's been a long time coming! I finally sold the house up North, and have become a Floridian! I started looking for C6 Vert 08 up with 6sp manual and Z51. I've narrowed my search mostly to the Southeast, but this car is really hard to find. Most everything I have seen online have been Autos, or grossly overpriced.

I finally found just what I was looking for! 08 vert, manual, Z51 with 25,000 miles, for a very reasonable price! One minor problem, located up North. I said to myself, that people that have these cars, wouldn't dare drive them in the winter with sand and salt on the road! The photos looked very nice, so I called the dealer, and told him I was in Florida, and I'd have to have it shipped. I also asked him to please take some photos of the undercarriage. I told him living up North over the last 20 years, and driving my cars in the winter, I had to junk 3 cars.

Some how my keyboard just posted this unfinished post!

So I'm just going to continue.
He very kindly sent me pictures, and I couldn't believe that someone did indeed drive this car quite frequently in the winter after the roads were sanded and salted.

Here is one photo of the front passenger wheel, check out the deposit in the inside rim, and salt on the fender well! It broke my heart, because I really wanted this car! Once that stuff bonds to almost any metallic surface, it's just a matter of time!
Do you think a power wash would remove the deposits? I had a little rust problem with a prior Vette and cleaned it of and used rust converter on it and it was fine. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your search!
marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 02:14 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

I would not be afraid to own this car. Clean it and paint and open corrosion. Corvettes are tough cars. Few hours I bet it would clean up really well. Remember if you want a pristine like new car you will have to pay a pristine like new car price.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I would not be afraid to own this car. Clean it and paint and open corrosion. Corvettes are tough cars. Few hours I bet it would clean up really well. Remember if you want a pristine like new car you will have to pay a pristine like new car price.
Originally Posted by 919cw313
^ Me too. Looks like a car that was treated like a car and just driven, instead of being doted on.

Surprisingly, not everyone enjoys cleaning wheel barrels and detailing undercarriages.
Uhhh....I do. Every cleaner, like Turtle Wax ICE or tire cleaners that don't work, get used for cleaning wheel wells and the back side of my wheels. I get under mine and clean it all the time.

The picture of the under carriage by the OP looks like fluid that has leaked out from some place.

marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

I call that patina, gives a car character. What fun is a garage Queen?
marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Looks like brake dust and general grime to me also. I lived most of my life up north and know how bad the rusting can be but aluminum doesn't rust. Neither does plastic. The wheel wells that you complain of having salt are plastic. The wheels and suspension are aluminum. Even the exhaust system that would rust so badly on a regular car doesn't seem to rust on a C6. A vert is going to have a steel frame but the frame is VERY thick compared to the unibody cars that rust so badly. I see nothing in the picture that shouldn't clean up just fine with some elbow grease. As said above, if you want museum quality when you buy it you will have to pay museum quality prices. But if you are willing to put some effort into it, you can clean any C6 undercarriage to almost factory original condition, if that is what is important to you.
marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

dont know anyone that cleans underneath, takes wheels off etc
most do a basic wash and drive
I pull my wheels off and clean the undercarriage quite frequently. It keeps everything looking new and removes road grime buildup.
marinablu67 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't see anything to be concerned about except MAYBE those drips/possible leaks in the radiator area. I live in the North, NEVER drove my car in the salt or snow and my undercarraige looks about the same, you're looking at a 9 year old car here...

Get notified of new replies

To Rust belt Corvette!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Looks like brake dust and general grime to me also. I lived most of my life up north and know how bad the rusting can be but aluminum doesn't rust. Neither does plastic. The wheel wells that you complain of having salt are plastic. The wheels and suspension are aluminum. Even the exhaust system that would rust so badly on a regular car doesn't seem to rust on a C6. A vert is going to have a steel frame but the frame is VERY thick compared to the unibody cars that rust so badly. I see nothing in the picture that shouldn't clean up just fine with some elbow grease. As said above, if you want museum quality when you buy it you will have to pay museum quality prices. But if you are willing to put some effort into it, you can clean any C6 undercarriage to almost factory original condition, if that is what is important to you.

That's good to hear! I'll tell you what, I'll buy the car, and when you're in Florida you can come to my house and show me how!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:03 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobLo
I don't see anything to be concerned about except MAYBE those drips/possible leaks in the radiator area. I live in the North, NEVER drove my car in the salt or snow and my undercarraige looks about the same, you're looking at a 9 year old car here...

I lived on LI the first almost 50 years of my life! When I started driving, I don't remember cars rusting badly on the Island. I'm not saying they didn't rust, but compared to living upstate NY for the last 20 years, the cars developed terminal cancer after a few seasons of winter! They use a very aggressive combination of chemicals and sand/dirt that coats the whole underneath of the car and gets into every nook and cranny. Once dry it will not wash off even with soap and water(even high pressure)! I lost the brakes twice with my Jeep Wrangler that had only 90K miles! The front axle, control arms, and chassis were so corroded, that it wouldn't pass NY safety inspection, and had to be junked! When I got the jeep, it was pristine, and all it took was 5 winters to do this, even after washing it with a high pressure hose when ever possible!

The dealer that had this car was in NY, and he really tried! It was obvious that they took off the other front wheel in one of the other photos and tried removing the "normal brake dust, road grime", and as a last resort, tried something abrasive, like sand paper, or emery cloth, and gave up!

I'm sure someone will buy this car! I can't see spending over $28,000 shipped to Florida on a compromised car! I'd rather spend a couple of thousand more, and get a clean, nice driver, that's never seen snow!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I lived on LI the first almost 50 years of my life! When I started driving, I don't remember cars rusting badly on the Island.
The dealer that had this car was in NY, and he really tried! It was obvious that they took off the other front wheel in one of the other photos and tried removing the "normal brake dust, road grime", and as a last resort, tried something abrasive, like sand paper, or emery cloth, and gave up!

I'm sure someone will buy this car! I can't see spending over $28,000 shipped to Florida on a compromised car! I'd rather spend a couple of thousand more, and get a clean, nice driver, that's never seen snow!
I'm "only" on the Island for 37 years but I came from neighboring Queens. I seem to remember when we first moved out here they used sand on the roads, never saw salt, at least in my area of Nassau County. All that has changed now as the use salt and brine, probably the reason our roads have gone to crap and definitely the reason I rarely drive my Vette from Dec. to April.
I'm sure you'll find a nice clean garage queen down in Florida, good luck in your search...
marinablu67 (11-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Rust belt Corvette!