C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 oil change how easy is it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default oil change

Originally Posted by Tefer
2013 GS ( LS3 Automatic ) Oil and filter change. How many quarts required of oil 5 or 6 ?

while I would agree that an oil change is probably the easiest maintenance you can do, that doesn't mean that everyone knows how.
I consider this "baby-steps", and if some one is asking for advice, or direction, that is step #1. let's keep this hands on approach going!
let's not discourage some one, who's looking to get their hands dirty!
let go of your pent up knowledge!
it wont be too long until no one, will be able to even check the air in their tires!

Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

2013 GS ( LS3 Automatic ) Oil and filter change. How many quarts required of oil 5 or 6 ?
6.5 qts per the owner's manual... if you have the manual, it will give you all the specifications, including the recommended oil and filter (which, if you want to use different brands, then you can at least use what is in the manual to cross-reference).
The following users liked this post:
Tefer (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 PM
xcaliber501
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 124 Posts

We all learn by doing. I do not believe anyone is inherently unable to do learn how to do something. If you are willing to take the time to learn how, you will learn how. It's just that easy
Old 11-15-2017, 01:01 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Buy 6 and then add until you see it's "full" on the dipstick. Might (and most likely will) be less than 6. Who knows...depending on how well you drain it, it may be less than 5. Also don't forget to pre-fill the filter before installing it.

You never EVER just blindly fill based on what's in a manual

Last edited by 96GS#007; 11-15-2017 at 01:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tefer (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Buy 6 and then add until you see it's "full" on the dipstick. Might (and most likely will) be less than 6. Who knows...depending on how well you drain it, it may be less than 5. Also don't forget to pre-fill the filter before installing it.

Thanks, I have been having my dealer change oil. They have been putting in 6 quarts and its always a 1/4 to 3/8 in above the full mark on the dipstick. I think I'm going to start changing my own from now on. on pre-filling the filter.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:17 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
I used to change the oil in my lawnmowers, but for $65, I let my dealer change the oil in my Vettes. He also checked 27 things about the car for no additional charge.
Yep, they inspected those 27 things so they could tell you one or two of them were bad, even though they weren't, to create additional profits. It's the oldest scam there is.

On the 2 or 3 rare occasions I have paid someone to change my oil (didn't feel like rolling around on a cold garage floor when it was 0 degrees F outside), they hated me because I maintain my vehicles and they couldn't find anything wrong. It didn't keep them from trying to upsell a useless fuel system cleaning treatment.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:23 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
No offense meant, but some people just aren't mechanically inclined, and if this is the case, I'd encourage you to let someone else do it for you.

A good example of this would be one case I know of where someone tried to use a torque wrench on an oil plug and stripped out the engine casing .
What's wrong with using a torque wrench on an oil plug, assuming you know the proper torque spec and how to use the wrench? Lots of us Porsche owners use an aftermarket magnetic plug which calls for 19 lb/ft. There have been many cases where people took them to a dealer and they torqued it to 37 lb/ft which is the spec for the OEM plug...and ended up having to drill it out next time. Typically at dealers it's a novice kid, not a master mechanic, who is given the job of changing oil. I've seen them use an air impact wrench to tighten an oil plug too.

Last edited by ben z; 11-15-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z
What's wrong with using a torque wrench on an oil plug, assuming you know the proper torque spec and how to use the wrench? Lots of us Porsche owners use an aftermarket magnetic plug which calls for 19 lb/ft. There have been many cases where people took them to a dealer and they torqued it to 37 lb/ft which is the spec for the OEM plug...and ended up having to drill it out next time. Typically at dealers it's a novice kid, not a master mechanic, who is given the job of changing oil. I've seen them use an air impact wrench to tighten an oil plug too.
Yea....absolutely nothing wrong with using a T-wrench on the bolt, provided of course you know how to use it. And of course you have room under the car to swing it.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

I took a day of vacation from work and changed the oil in my 2005 C6 yesterday. Very simple job, with the biggest chore being jacking the car up and setting it on lift stands (I also changed the tranny and differential fluids). The oil took maybe 35 minutes. All told, the total time spent on the jobs was 4 hours, but I take my time on certain projects, too.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

In my opinion, change your own oil <period end of sentence>

Change your own oil not for the cost savings, but for the DIY. As your experience increases you'll do more and more of your own work.

My personal goal is to do 100% of my own work on my corvette. That's not to brag but to say this:

If you do your own work you will:
  • Have incredible sense of accomplishment
  • You'll know if the work was done to your standards
  • You'll know the quality of the parts that you used.
  • You will save money

So in short, if you are out of warranty, change your own oil and attempt to do anything else that needs to be done. This forum is an incredible source of information. Be sure to post what you did to help the next guy/gal.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Hands on

Originally Posted by Dutch08
In my opinion, change your own oil <period end of sentence>

Change your own oil not for the cost savings, but for the DIY. As your experience increases you'll do more and more of your own work.

My personal goal is to do 100% of my own work on my corvette. That's not to brag but to say this:

If you do your own work you will:
  • Have incredible sense of accomplishment
  • You'll know if the work was done to your standards
  • You'll know the quality of the parts that you used.
  • You will save money
So in short, if you are out of warranty, change your own oil and attempt to do anything else that needs to be done. This forum is an incredible source of information. Be sure to post what you did to help the next guy/gal.

couldn't agree more! having said that, I haven't changed my own oil in probably 30yrs. but I will say that starting with oil changes, led to basic tune-ups, brake work, engine rebuilds, clutch R & R's.
over the years I've done less & less. last big project was converting my '98 Z28 from auto to manual ( not a good starting point for budding mechanics ). along with no longer having a garage to work in ( condo ), I've been relying on local trusted shops.
not sure what the future holds for the current generation, but I see less & less of people wanting to get their hands dirty.
hope I'm wrong though.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I go to the local oil change place. I have no way to get under a C6.

I only change oil on my motorcycles and adjust valves, minor maintenance, etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

No, but you _buy_ and _expect_ to fill what the manufacturer recommends.

If you're "full" by adding less than 5 or 6, then you didn't drain it right to begin with.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Sure you can wait for several hours while more old oil drains out....but you ain't never gonna get every last drop of old oil out. To many nooks & crannies that hold a teaspoon or two. Drain it till the drip slows to about every 10 - 15 seconds and then close her up and fill it till it reads full on da stick. Then drive it for a while and re-check and fill as required, if any. Me thinks these oil threads are really getting way to techno bound with way too much information overload.....
Old 11-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Here's how I do my Z06.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This is but another example of a new member coming here and asking a very simple question ... Then getting lots of help from everyone here ... However, the OP don't even come back to the thread he started 5 days ago ... Not even to say "thanks" for all the info he has been provided.

Seems to be happening alot here lately (usually with very new / very low post members).

Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
This is but another example of a new member coming here and asking a very simple question ... Then getting lots of help from everyone here ... However, the OP don't even come back to the thread he started 5 days ago ... Not even to say "thanks" for all the info he has been provided.

Seems to be happening alot here lately (usually with very new / very low post members).

And your point is?

This is a public forum and people are free to post all the stupid questions they want. You, in turn, are free to skip reading them.

Last edited by BadAV; 11-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 oil change how easy is it.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

It's called 'manners'
Old 11-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
And your point is?

This is a public forum and people are free to post all the stupid questions they want. You, in turn, are free to skip reading them.
Actually, and this is just my opinion. He didn't say anything about a stupid question. He said a simple question.And I believe his point is that if someone asks a question.Simple, stupid or what ever and others are considerate enough to answer the question. Then the person asking should be considerate enough to acknowledge with some sort of a response.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Tefer .....

Exactly

Just my opinion

Quick Reply: C6 oil change how easy is it.