C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 driver 1 key fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 driver 1 key fob not working

i am the proud owner of a beautiful yellow 2006 corvette. upon getting the car home i discovered my driver 1 key fob is not working. driver 2 fob works fine and car recognizes this one. both batteries have been replaced, and i keep my fobs and keys in the car when its parked in garage. This is my first Chevrolet so any help is very appreciated.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

What do you mean by "not working"? Do you get No fob detected on the dic? Try putting it in the glove box slot and see if the car starts.
The following users liked this post:
Jim2003 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BIGPAPPAPUMP
i keep my fobs and keys in the car when its parked in garage.
Not a good idea.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Not a good idea.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Not a good idea.

But not because of any interaction between the car and fob. It's a bad idea because of thieves.

Also a bad idea to keep the fobs IN the car (with the windows up at any rate) in case the car loses power. Then you are stuck trying to break into your own car.

Last edited by owc6; 11-20-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

It seems that the car doesn't recognize driver 1 fob. the car does nothing when the buttons are pushed. like i said i did just replace both batteries.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

It seems that the car doesn't recognize driver 1 fob. the car does nothing when the buttons are pushed. like i said i did just replace both batteries.
Did you try what EVRose suggested in post #2?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Did you try sticking the offending fob in the glove box slot?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Haha, Mrs. Ow!
owc6 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

I wll try that in the morning, but what is the significance with being in the glove box? does it reprogram the fob? what if it starts? what if it doesn't?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Please don't leave the keys in the car... even in a locked, secured garage. These cars are very tough on batteries... more than any vehicle I've ever owned. I've had two C6s and my son has a C6, as well.

When the battery dies, it dies hard, and you may find yourself having to enter the car the old fashioned way... with a real key, which can only be used for the trunk.

You will curse the car if the battery dies and your keys are locked inside.

Putting it into the slot in the glove box should tell you if it recognizes the fob or not. Give it a shot!
BIGPAPPAPUMP (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I wll try that in the morning, but what is the significance with being in the glove box? does it reprogram the fob? what if it starts? what if it doesn't?
The fob in the steering wheel slot works by electromagnetic induction. It should work there with a dead battery or even no battery at all. A battery installed upside down should still work in the slot, although I have no direct experience with this particular scenario.

Right now, I am guessing your battery is installed upside down, or your battery contacts are not contacting.

Do NOT try reprogramming your fob at this point.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

Thank you for the helpful advice, i have wondered why i have four keys to a car that doesn't have any key slots except in the trunk. This is my first chevy and it definetly has been a learning experience. i will move both the keys and the fobs in the house. And tomorrow i will try operating the car with the #1 fob in the glove box and let you know. Thank you so much!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

Originally Posted by owc6
The fob in the steering wheel slot works by electromagnetic induction. It should work there with a dead battery or even no battery at all. A battery installed upside down should still work in the slot, although I have no direct experience with this particular scenario.

Right now, I am guessing your battery is installed upside down, or your battery contacts are not contacting.

Do NOT try reprogramming your fob at this point.
i thought about the battery being upside down, but it is put in the same way as fob #2, and that works fine. i also did check for corrosion and worn prongs. I will try starting the car tomorrow with the key in the glove box. Thank you for your help!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

The slot in the glove box is wired to allow a programmed fob to start the car, even if the fob battery is dead.

The buttons not working could mean that fob doesn't have access to the memory options for the car. We're not really sure which buttons you're talking about.

Fobs programmed for the car as fob #1 or fob #2 have access to those memory options, Fobs programmed as #3 or #4 can start the car, but don't have access to the memory options. The fob numbers engraved on the back or bottom of the fob are just for your convenience, it's what fob no. it is programmed as.

Be more specific about what buttons you're talking about that don't recognize one of the fobs.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 11-20-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

The slot in the glove box is wired to allow a programmed fob to start the car, even if the fob battery is dead.

The buttons not working could mean that fob doesn't have access to the memory options for the car. We're not really sure which buttons you're talking about.

Fobs programmed for the car as fob #1 or fob #2 have access to those memory options, Fobs programmed as #3 or #4 can start the car, but don't have access to the memory options. The fob numbers engraved on the back or bottom of the fob are just for your convenience, it's what fob no. it is programmed as.

Be more specific about what buttons you're talking about that don't recognize one of the fobs.
I have Driver 1 and Driver 2 key fobs. The buttons on Driver 1 key fob do not unlock the car, or lock the car, or pop the rear deck lid. Driver 2 key fob works perfectly.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

You might also just have gotten a sub-standard new 2032. This seems to be happening more often lately. These cars require very strong fob batteries, and the minute they start fading, they are no longer strong enough for the car, even if they are strong enough to power other devices.

Installing yet another new battery may fix it as well, especially as you seem certain it was installed correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 driver 1 key fob not working

Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

You might also just have gotten a sub-standard new 2032. This seems to be happening more often lately. These cars require very strong fob batteries, and the minute they start fading, they are no longer strong enough for the car, even if they are strong enough to power other devices.

Installing yet another new battery may fix it as well, especially as you seem certain it was installed correctly.
Very good advice, i never thought about getting a bad battery. and it was a 2032 also.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Very good advice, i never thought about getting a bad battery. and it was a 2032 also.
Well, if it wasn't, that would be your problem. Just joshing you.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I have Driver 1 and Driver 2 key fobs. The buttons on Driver 1 key fob do not unlock the car, or lock the car, or pop the rear deck lid. Driver 2 key fob works perfectly.
That helps narrow it down. It's probably a bad battery in that fob.

You might also just have gotten a sub-standard new 2032. This seems to be happening more often lately.
Unfortunately, this is true. Avoid batteries with words inscribed on one side of the battery. I think those are Ray-O-Vac batteries.

Quick Reply: C6 driver 1 key fob not working