C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 c6 transmission slipping in 3rd after throttle body connector issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 PM
samuelt
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 c6 transmission slipping in 3rd after throttle body connector issue

Hi, the other day i was driving down the freeway and hit the throttle a bit not expecting it to downshift and quickly took my foot off the gas. As soon as i did that it felt like it shifted to a higher gear so proceeded to drive normally and now when i hit the gas it will not pull until around 4000 rpm. At this same time my drive belt apparently had a piece of it ripping off and it was hitting the throttle body connector, needless to say it stripped the insulation off the yellow/ brown/ light brown wires. As soon as this happened to the connector, the dash said engine power reduced, check engine and service tcm came on, and it would only let me drive 25 mph.
So i drove it home going about 20 mph, popped the hood and saw the connector and also found the brown and yellow wires shorting together. Thinking this is what is causing all the issues i got a new connector replaced it. I then started the car and there were no more messages and the car ran fine too. As soon as i took it out on the road it drove fine in 1st then shifted to 2nd still driving as usual and when it shifted to 3rd it started slipping and would not pull unless im hitting around 4000 rpm and would not shift to 4th either. Also tried taking the battery terminals off for about an hour and it still did the same thing. Do any of you have any ideas on what the issue is? Do i need to reflash the pcm/tcm (or whatever controls the trans and receives the signal from the throttle body)? Or do you guys think that my transmission just happened to blow at the same time as the connector screwed up? Any ideas help, thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:30 AM
samuelt
4th Gear

Originally Posted by samuelt
Hi, the other day i was driving down the freeway and hit the throttle a bit not expecting it to downshift and quickly took my foot off the gas. As soon as i did that it felt like it shifted to a higher gear so proceeded to drive normally and now when i hit the gas it will not pull until around 4000 rpm. At this same time my drive belt apparently had a piece of it ripping off and it was hitting the throttle body connector, needless to say it stripped the insulation off the yellow/ brown/ light brown wires. As soon as this happened to the connector, the dash said engine power reduced, check engine and service tcm came on, and it would only let me drive 25 mph.
So i drove it home going about 20 mph, popped the hood and saw the connector and also found the brown and yellow wires shorting together. Thinking this is what is causing all the issues i got a new connector replaced it. I then started the car and there were no more messages and the car ran fine too. As soon as i took it out on the road it drove fine in 1st then shifted to 2nd still driving as usual and when it shifted to 3rd it started slipping and would not pull unless im hitting around 4000 rpm and would not shift to 4th either. Also tried taking the battery terminals off for about an hour and it still did the same thing. Do any of you have any ideas on what the issue is? Do i need to reflash the pcm/tcm (or whatever controls the trans and receives the signal from the throttle body)? Or do you guys think that my transmission just happened to blow at the same time as the connector screwed up? Any ideas help, thanks in advance.
No one has any ideas on this??
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Rea this yesterday & didn't respond because I couldn't connect tranny slippage w/ a replaced burned connector.
Hoped others might chime-in w/ ideas, guess not.

Could it be confusing 2 unrelated issues? Tranny + TB/ECM?
Checked for any codes?
If not now's the time, car may have answer to issue(s).

How many miles on tranny?
*Could* be xmission needs fresh fluid, if, miles are >/or close to 100K.
DO NOT FLUSH if in fact a high mile car: Drain.
Drain as much as can be coaxed out, refill whatever it takes.
Did this w/ our high mile Cad after it started slipping, results were stunning. Shifts now crisp as new. No kidding.

Check for codes w/ a OBDII reader, most parts stores will read codes for free. Report back.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
samuelt
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Landru
Rea this yesterday & didn't respond because I couldn't connect tranny slippage w/ a replaced burned connector.
Hoped others might chime-in w/ ideas, guess not.

Could it be confusing 2 unrelated issues? Tranny + TB/ECM?
Checked for any codes?
If not now's the time, car may have answer to issue(s).

How many miles on tranny?
*Could* be xmission needs fresh fluid, if, miles are >/or close to 100K.
DO NOT FLUSH if in fact a high mile car: Drain.
Drain as much as can be coaxed out, refill whatever it takes.
Did this w/ our high mile Cad after it started slipping, results were stunning. Shifts now crisp as new. No kidding.

Check for codes w/ a OBDII reader, most parts stores will read codes for free. Report back.
What I was thinking is since the throttle body sends a signal to the pcm, maybe when the two wires shorted together the pcm got screwed up and now doesn't know when to shift or go into lockup.
It has about 115,000 miles on and I was planning draining and refilling.
I have a scanner and it didn't show any codes.
I just think it's kinda weird that the transmission was working great and never even shifted wrong or slipped at all, and now the connector failed and transmission started screwing up literally at the same time.
Thanks for the reply )
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I have a scanner and it didn't show any codes. original owner.
Bummer, on our own.

What I was thinking is since the throttle body sends a signal to the pcm, maybe when the two wires shorted together the pcm got screwed up and now doesn't know when to shift or go into lockup.
Possible, short might've trashed module and while usually fusing guards against this, in this case maybe not.
No idea how to go about checking PCM either, though there has to be a way.

It has about 115,000 miles on and I was planning draining and refilling.
Excellent, bet slippage is either eliminated or substantially reduced.
IF it does work, problem's been halved. A good thing.

I just think it's kinda weird that the transmission was working great and never even shifted wrong or slipped at all, and now the connector failed and transmission started screwing up literally at the same time.
It is weird & why I suspected 2 separate issues manifesting at 1 time.
Tranny problem triggered by short to PCM corrupting PCM's role?
Must locate procedure for testing PCM; which, might be contained within GM's comprehensive service manual.

Get flush done, see where it leaves you afterwards.
Not much help but maybe one of the forum's whizz kids will help.
Also, consider posting to C6 Tech where members likely to know hang.
Many techies who w/could help, never come to C6 Gen.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:27 PM
samuelt
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Landru
Bummer, on our own.

Possible, short might've trashed module and while usually fusing guards against this, in this case maybe not.
No idea how to go about checking PCM either, though there has to be a way.

Excellent, bet slippage is either eliminated or substantially reduced.
IF it does work, problem's been halved. A good thing.

It is weird & why I suspected 2 separate issues manifesting at 1 time.
Tranny problem triggered by short to PCM corrupting PCM's role?
Must locate procedure for testing PCM; which, might be contained within GM's comprehensive service manual.

Get flush done, see where it leaves you afterwards.
Not much help but maybe one of the forum's whizz kids will help.
Also, consider posting to C6 Tech where members likely to know hang.
Many techies who w/could help, never come to C6 Gen.

I called the dealer and they said its 140$ to reflash the pcm. I'll try that for now and hopefully that was the issue. I'll try posting this in the c6 Tech maybe then I'll get more replys lol
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Landru (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:42 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Probably too late to chime in now, but is it possible that the belt also caused damage somewhere else that you don't see, on some other connector?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

I called the dealer and they said its 140$ to reflash the pcm. I'll try that for now and hopefully that was the issue. I'll try posting this in the c6 Tech maybe then I'll get more replys lol
Thanks
there is a direct connection between tb and transmission.if there is an issue with tb it can cause issues with transmission shifting

Last edited by irok; 12-06-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I sure hope its a TCM issue but the 4speed autos have a well known 3rd-4th clutch pack seal issue that causes this exact issue , had it happen to my 2000 vert , ended up pulling the trans and had it rebuilt .....

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 c6 transmission slipping in 3rd after throttle body connector issue

Quick Reply: 2005 c6 transmission slipping in 3rd after throttle body connector issue