C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob battery last less than a month

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:10 PM
DealGirl30
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob battery last less than a month

I’ve owned my 2008 C6 season nice May and I have went through about 8 batteries for my fob. Today I did not get the normal low fob battery warning. I went to get out of my car after driving to work and it said “no fob, run or off?” I tried to restart it immediately and it started up just fine. At lunch I tried again and it said no fob detected. I used the glove box insert and it started up. I then replaced the battery and it’s working great now. My fob has been abused and seems to not want to stay together really well. I actually have some black tape around it just for added protection. I only have the one fob. So my first question is why is this happening?

My second question is about reprogramming a new fob. I have read on here how to do it but unfortunately, the key hole in my truck was removed at some point. I still have a wire I can pull (and I have the actual key part but it’s not installed). How do I reprogram a new fob without this step?

I’ve read to clean the fob really good but I’m scared to do a lot to it since it’s the only one I have. Recommendations for where to purchase one the cheapest?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

You must have a sticking button on that fob. Why not put the lock mechanism back together properly and program a new one?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:52 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

1. Buy 2 fobs, either new or used.

2. Get the local GM dealer to program them for your car.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:24 AM
DealGirl30
Intermediate

I would love to put the locking mechanism back together but I have no idea how to even start!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:49 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My FOB has there batteries in them for years, and working perfect.

I would think yours is shorting out.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Before you panic, aka spend money for unneeded things, Go though this check list.

1. Make sure you have no electronic or electrical devices that are not original equipment plugged in, wired in, attached to, or within close proximity to the area around or between the fob and the center of the dash. That includes cell phones, radar detectors, and a host of other devices that can cause interference to a weaken signal. You can also get interference from external sources, such as florescent lights, generators, radios, transformers, etc.

2. Verify the voltage on fob batteries is well above 3.1 volts. They quit working well or at all below that voltage. If you have interference from one of the above sources, you can have failures with weak voltage long before 3.1 volts. New should be around 3.3 volts. Some brands drain quicker than others and some have been sitting on the shelf for years. I've bought "new" that are below 3.0 volts, so be sure of what you use. You can get a cheap multimeter at HF for under $5 to check voltage and lots of other electrical issues where absolute accuracy is not required.

3. Check the internal battery contacts and bend the contact surfaces if necessary to ensure the battery is being held tightly. Avoid batteries that have negative side grids, due to the type of fob contacts.

4. Secure your fob shell as tight as possible, since the original clasps are broken. Dorman has not yet made replacement cases for this style fob.

I've heard that the earlier '05-'07 fobs will work with '08 and newer, so maybe someone here can confirm if that's true or not. If so, it'd be better than your broken one.
I have a pre-'08 Cadillac fob you can have if it'll function correctly for you. It looks like a later one, but it won't accept the '08 internals.

BTW, Some dealers have a stash of fobs from trade-ins that never went with the car they sold. Check with the service guys, not the parts counter. I got one for the wife's car and swapped the guts. No programming needed.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:05 AM
geno01
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts

What Vette DD said. Fob with electrical tape wrapped around it = problems.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:31 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
1. Buy 2 fobs, either new or used.

2. Get the local GM dealer to program them for your car.
ditto
Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

If you decide to purchase new fobs, then on ebay if you search for

"2 Car Fob Keyless Remote For 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Chevrolet Corvette"

for $199.95. That seems like a pretty good price for 2 new fobs. You can reuse the key from your old fob, and get the dealer to cut a new one for the second fob.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Since you know how to change the battery, that's half the battle.

Now once you have the case spit, pull the board, pull the rubber part behind the board, and clean out all the flint behind the buttons that is causing the buttons to be slightly pushed to drain the battery so quick.

If you have a older fob, then pull the board and the rubber back section at the same time, then you can pull the board to clean it as well.

On the boards contact point pads for either style fobs, electrical cleaner and a Q tip works to clean the correctly. Also, on the prongs that connect to the board pads, give then a slight tweak out wards so the they are making a good contact when the Fob is back together.

Attachment 48331307
Old 12-29-2017, 05:51 PM
DealGirl30
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the help! I will try cleaning and see where that goes. I hate to drop $200 on fobs that I don’t know if I can even program since the key lock has been pulled out.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Let us know where you are located, there may be a member that can assist you with repairs.

Gary
Old 12-29-2017, 09:16 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DealGirl30
I’ve owned my 2008 C6 season nice May and I have went through about 8 batteries for my fob. Today I did not get the normal low fob battery warning. I went to get out of my car after driving to work and it said “no fob, run or off?” I tried to restart it immediately and it started up just fine. At lunch I tried again and it said no fob detected. I used the glove box insert and it started up. I then replaced the battery and it’s working great now. My fob has been abused and seems to not want to stay together really well. I actually have some black tape around it just for added protection. I only have the one fob. So my first question is why is this happening?

My second question is about reprogramming a new fob. I have read on here how to do it but unfortunately, the key hole in my truck was removed at some point. I still have a wire I can pull (and I have the actual key part but it’s not installed). How do I reprogram a new fob without this step?

I’ve read to clean the fob really good but I’m scared to do a lot to it since it’s the only one I have. Recommendations for where to purchase one the cheapest?
I was having the exact problem you were having. And like you, I tried to tape the darn thing together using black electrical tape ... but it stretched in short order so wasn't really doing anything except collecting pocket fuzz. I don't think the battery was going bad so much as it just wasn't making contact.

So ... I ordered two new fob cases (either from Amazon or Ebay ... can't remember which, but I'll find out if you want me to), put the guts from the original fobs in them, and haven't had an issue since then. The fob parts apparently are really easy to screw up when you take them apart. The new ones seem to be a lot better. I also bought a couple of covers for the fobs. The shells come complete with trunk keys but you'd have to get them cut. Of course, you can just use the old keys.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by geno01
What Vette DD said. Fob with electrical tape wrapped around it = problems.
I screwed my case up the first time i changed the battery in 2009..I used a couple of strips of Duct tape and to this day 12/29/17 it works perfect and I've put in a new battery in when needed..Why buy a new fob...Use some common since.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:37 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I have never seen a message about a low fob battery on either of my C6s.

It is either recognized or not.

Also, using the rounded end of the key is better to use to open the case than the key blade itself.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:24 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

1. Get an old fob, the same one as you have, maybe someone here has one or buy a cheap used one?
2 Take the guts in your FOB and put them in the old new(good case) FOB
3. Find a friend that can help you(is handy with basic tools and cars) with the Key mechanism hook up. Might be able to get to it by taking out a tail light or if there are screws that hold it in from the outside. I did take out the button close to the key hole to clean and it was easy if you know what you are doing.
4. Open the FOB with a flat table knife or small screwdriver. I believe there are little indents to use, if not pry easy at different points till it pops open to avoid damage. May need to pop it open at several points.
5. Probably not your battery, unless there is a short in the fob. Sounds like someone has been messing with it and may have screwed it up inside too.
Or buy a new fob of your type and have a dealer program it for you if you have no help or you can't make it work. You should have two FOB's.

The rectangular fob that comes with the newer C6's are not the same as the older ones. The pics in one post are the older fob. Don't know which one your '08 has.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 12-30-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 AM
EVRose
Race Director

^^^The 05-07 fob looks different but will still work in an 08-13 C6. Plus it's not as fragile as the newer style fob.
The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (12-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob battery last less than a month

Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by owc6

Also, using the rounded end of the key is better to use to open the case than the key blade itself.
I've never seen that message either but apparently it's possible according to the OM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:50 PM
DealGirl30
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I was having the exact problem you were having. And like you, I tried to tape the darn thing together using black electrical tape ... but it stretched in short order so wasn't really doing anything except collecting pocket fuzz. I don't think the battery was going bad so much as it just wasn't making contact.

So ... I ordered two new fob cases (either from Amazon or Ebay ... can't remember which, but I'll find out if you want me to), put the guts from the original fobs in them, and haven't had an issue since then. The fob parts apparently are really easy to screw up when you take them apart. The new ones seem to be a lot better. I also bought a couple of covers for the fobs. The shells come complete with trunk keys but you'd have to get them cut. Of course, you can just use the old keys.
That’s a great idea and would not require reprogramming correct?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:51 PM
DealGirl30
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Let us know where you are located, there may be a member that can assist you with repairs.

Gary
I am in blue Ridge GA. It would be awesome if someone could help!

Originally Posted by owc6

I always get the low battery notice but usually only once before it just doesn’t work at all.

Quick Reply: Key Fob battery last less than a month