C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building my dream garage Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 04:54 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Building my dream garage Help!

Well I'll be 65 this March and have come to the conclusion that you can't take it with you so I decided to buy a place just outside the city with a big enough lot to build my dream garage. I want to put in a 2 post lift and have enough room for a work bench, tool box, compressor, storage room and, oh yeah a beer fridge. I'm thinking 30 wide and 40 deep but not sure 30 wide is wide enough for three cars unless they're parked close together so I'll call it a wide 2 car. That way I can work on both cars if necessary without fear of hitting one with a jack handle or what ever. Has anyone on this forum built a garage that can give me some ideas on size and configuration to help with ideas? I'm in the beginning stages of this but would like to start on it in the spring.
Thanks
Jim

Popular Reply

01-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll respectfully disagree with madsonp and 96GS with a caveat: I'm an "anti-stuff guy". When I see an open garage that's filled with stuff (read: junk, garbage, clutter, and a few things we occasionally need) I just shake my head. We are a society that values more, more, more and if you build a bigger garage you'll probably just fill it with more things you don't need. My suggestion---build what you think you'll need and keep it simple (make a list of the essentials and make sure you have the room, plus a little to spare).

Example. My brother had 2 refrigerators (many people do) and decided it wasn't enough for his family of 5. Now he has 3 and they're all full and they still go to the store once a week. If I gave him a 4th fridge, he'd find a way to fill it up. No family of 5 needs 3 or 4 fridges full of food, it's just an excuse for excess and waste.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope you enjoy building it and get another 30 years of use
Old 01-01-2018, 05:32 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim
Well I'll be 65 this March and have come to the conclusion that you can't take it with you so I decided to buy a place just outside the city with a big enough lot to build my dream garage. I want to put in a 2 post lift and have enough room for a work bench, tool box, compressor, storage room and, oh yeah a beer fridge. I'm thinking 30 wide and 40 deep but not sure 30 wide is wide enough for three cars unless they're parked close together so I'll call it a wide 2 car. That way I can work on both cars if necessary without fear of hitting one with a jack handle or what ever. Has anyone on this forum built a garage that can give me some ideas on size and configuration to help with ideas? I'm in the beginning stages of this but would like to start on it in the spring.
Thanks
Jim
Go as big as you can afford, they fill up quickly, mines a 30' X 70' with 14' side walls and 12' doors, and as you can see it's full. Also I'd suggest a four post lift, the advantage of the four post is that it doesn't need to anchored down so you can move it around if you need to.

Last edited by madsonp; 01-01-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:43 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

My dad built a 30 deep by 40 wide. He wishes he would have sent bigger. My plan is 40x60 with a 4 post and a 2 post someday. With a loft over part of it for a man cave/bar area.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

As mentioned above...go as big as you can afford.

Some other comments...

4 post lift is good if you want to do general maintenance with the wheels on. 2 post if you want to do stuff like brake fluid bleeding, pad changes, suspension work, drop the drivetrain, etc since you will need the car supported and the wheels off. Beats doing it on jack stands!

Build in as much storage as possible. Cabinets are always a positive. Having a loft to store larger items is nice. If you can't go high enough for a loft, ensure the rafters are strong enough to support added weight and then add plywood flooring for a de facto attic. Install pull-down stairs and you'll be set. In one of mine, I had a large access panel and an electric hoist to haul up wheels/tires, engine blocks, etc.

When you think you have enough lighting and electrical capacity designed in....add more.

If you plan to do major work (ie restoration type of activity), make sure to have enough room to roll the car around on wheel dollies.

Build a separate room for an air compressor and insulate it to cut down on noise.

Don't forget floor drains and running hot/cold water.

Budget permitting...HVAC.

Lastly....cable for the large screen TV as well as internet access.

How you want to use the garage really dictates the size. Tinkering is one thing, full on restoration/major rebuild type of efforts will be another.

Have fun!
The following users liked this post:
v1 rot8 (05-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

I'll respectfully disagree with madsonp and 96GS with a caveat: I'm an "anti-stuff guy". When I see an open garage that's filled with stuff (read: junk, garbage, clutter, and a few things we occasionally need) I just shake my head. We are a society that values more, more, more and if you build a bigger garage you'll probably just fill it with more things you don't need. My suggestion---build what you think you'll need and keep it simple (make a list of the essentials and make sure you have the room, plus a little to spare).

Example. My brother had 2 refrigerators (many people do) and decided it wasn't enough for his family of 5. Now he has 3 and they're all full and they still go to the store once a week. If I gave him a 4th fridge, he'd find a way to fill it up. No family of 5 needs 3 or 4 fridges full of food, it's just an excuse for excess and waste.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope you enjoy building it and get another 30 years of use

Last edited by Dr Bee; 01-01-2018 at 05:57 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Dr Bee:
Batman75 (01-01-2018), bick333 (01-02-2018), ddame2 (01-12-2018), IMXCITD (01-08-2018), rajahhindi (01-08-2018), ranch41 (01-19-2018), zrultima (01-01-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee

That's absolutely true. A bigger building just means it will take you a bit longer to fill it. But it will happen.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Can't speak for Canada, but if you're building in Oceanside, Ca. be prepared to pay a lot on fee's and permits. They are based on sq. ft. of the building. Size also determines what fees you will pay. In El Cajon, Ca., for a structure larger than 300 sq. ft.( In addition to plan check fees) you are required to pay fire district fees, school district fees, drainage fees and more. The size also determines the property tax assessment.

The permit cost in 2012 was $1000.00. for my 14x20 detached garage with no plumbing.

I was 72 in 2012 and was concerned what a garage would cost including how much it would raise my property taxes. I built most of it myself and for that reason, I was glad I didn't make it any larger.

Edit; I've posted this before but here is what my 280 sq. ft. garage looks like.

Last edited by Batman75; 01-01-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:28 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Thanks
Jim
You could spend the rest of your life reading about this subject at the Garage Journal forum.

My $0.02: 30' wide is a two-car. Make use of the Z axis: floor-to-ceiling storage. Keep as much floor area clear as possible. Brighter is better. Install huge skylights. Paint the walls white. Don't overdo the workbench area: you can only use so much of it at once and the rest will just attract clutter. No RaceDeck or other flashy floor covering: you want to be able to sweep up swarf and mop up spills. Don't place the bottom plates right on the slab; pour a short stemwall. Seal the plates with an EPDM gasket. Use high-lift/vertical-lift garage doors. Don't position your Bridgeport in a corner. Keep your expansion joints narrow so casters won't snag on them. Lista toolboxes are nicer and cheaper than Snap-On. Install tall enough doors for a Sprinter, and high enough ceilings to walk under your project cars. Heater. Bathroom. Skip all the faux gas station kitsch.
Tim90NOS (05-22-2022)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee

So why exactly do you think I suggested cabinets and other storage space in order to keep things neat, organized, and accessible?

By your logic, I shouldn't "clutter" the garage with track wheels, spares, and other needed parts...all of which get used regularly. Nor should I have any tools that I only use on occasion. I guess all of this is just garbage and junk.

Unlike many, my car gets used extensively. I also do major work...engine and transmission rebuilds, painting, etc.

Hence my point to the OP that depending on how he intends to use the garage will drive the decisions on size and how to equip it.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 01-01-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

My garage is 32' deep. 40' wide. Though like it has been stated, there is NEVER enough space, I currently have both Corvettes, wife's SRX and my Duelley all parked in there. (We just finished the house and I have not had time to move the lift over yet)

There is also plenty of room between everything and also 10'+ in front of the cars.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
So why exactly do you think I suggested cabinets and other storage space in order to keep things neat, organized, and accessible?

By your logic, I shouldn't "clutter" the garage with track wheels, spares, and other needed parts...all of which get used regularly. Nor should I have any tools that I only use on occasion. I guess all of this is just garbage and junk.

Unlike many, my car gets used extensively. I also do major work...engine and transmission rebuilds, painting, etc.

Hence my point to the OP that it depends on how he intends to use the garage will drive the decisions on size and how to equip it.
My logic is based on my general observations of "stuff-collectors" and is not pointed at any individual. I don't have any clue what's in your garage and don't need to know. My point stands with or without your inventory. You gave the OP something to think about, so did i. That's it, and I very specifically said "respectfully" hoping to avoid hurt feelings.

Cudos to you for doing major work and driving your vette regularly. I've always wanted a larger garage and do no major work and drive my vette about 100 miles a month. Since we don't know how he intends to use the garage, i can't imagine he'd be upset receiving your point of view and a few others as well
rajahhindi (01-08-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by Batman75
Can't speak for Canada, but if you're building in Oceanside, Ca. be prepared to pay a lot on fee's and permits. They are based on sq. ft. of the building. Size also determines what fees you will pay. In El Cajon, Ca., for a structure larger than 300 sq. ft.( In addition to plan check fees) you are required to pay fire district fees, school district fees, drainage fees and more. The size also determines the property tax assessment.

The permit cost in 2012 was $1000.00. for my 14x20 detached garage with no plumbing.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Batman75
Thanks for the info. I need to change my sig as I moved permanently to Canada recently but it's no different here. A building permit is about the same at about $1000 for a 30 X 40. I want a nice looking structure that will compliment the house and property. I could save a lot of money if I put up a steel frame building or similar pre constructed steel building but the neighbors would probably complain and it would look too commercial. A friend of mine just had a 34 w X 24 D built with a poured concrete foundation, floor heat and a loft above for storage and had some stone work about 3 feet high around the outside. Nice looking building but with permit fees and a fee to apply for a variance (beyond allowed permitted specs) it was $100,000.00! I'm hoping to spend a lot less than that.

Last edited by GMJim; 01-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Makamov (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input.
Batman75
Thanks for the info. I need to change my sig as I moved permanently to Canada recently but it's no different here. A building permit is about the same at about $1000 for a 30 X 40. I want a nice looking structure that will compliment the house and property. I could save a lot of money if I put up a steel frame building or similar pre constructed steel building but the neighbors would probably complain and it would look too commercial. A friend of mine just had a 34 w X 24 D built with a poured concrete foundation, floor heat and a loft above for storage and had some stone work about 3 feet high around the outside. Nice looking building but with permit fees and a fee to apply for a variance (beyond allowed permitted specs) it was $100,000.00! I'm hoping to spend a lot less than that.
Then Canada isn't as bad as California if a permit for a 30x40 is $1000.00 since I paid the same for my 14x20.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Thanks
Jim

I build a 26x28 garage just for the C6. No other car goes in unless it's for a short term deal.
The garage will fit 2 cars, but I like to have lot's of space on each side and in depth.
I'm sure that a bigger one would be nice, but in my case, it was not necessary.

I dislike clutter, so nothing gets stored in there except my mechanical tools, air compressor etc. and my snow blower in the winter months.

The one you plan on building will be a very nice size for a 2 post lift.
Here is a pic of my garage.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I build a 26x28 garage just for the C6. No other car goes in unless it's for a short term deal.
The garage will fit 2 cars, but I like to have lot's of space on each side and in depth.
I'm sure that a bigger one would be nice, but in my case, it was not necessary.

I dislike clutter, so nothing gets stored in there except my mechanical tools, air compressor etc. and my snow blower in the winter months.

The one you plan on building will be a very nice size for a 2 post lift.
Here is a pic of my garage.

Looks like a museum to your car If I ever do a project like this, mine would look like yours with room for another 2-3 cars. Clutter is my enemy so your garage gives me hope.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Usmc041127
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My best advice is build as big as you can afford within reason. I'm 36 now and have 25x30. I plan to add at least 4 more vehicles. Make sure you have one part set aside for repairs and not just storage. That's my biggest problem. I store my 2 babies inside but have no where to work on them comfortably. However i do a lot with cars and it requires a safe space or distance away from the others. Make sure you know which lift you are going with to meet the space requirements.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Go 40 x40 or 40 wide and 30 deep.

Get notified of new replies

To Building my dream garage Help!

Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Thanks everyone for the ideas and comments. They are appreciated! I want to work in the garage during the winter so I have to consider heating cost too. The bigger it is the higher the cost to heat it. I'm retired and don't want to go back to work! All of your ideas are well worth considering.
Jim
Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Let us us know what you decide.

I only have a two car garage 26 x 20, I wish I had another bay for my wife’s car.

Last edited by C6KWJ; 01-17-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a home in NC with a large backyard I am not well off so money is a factor so on to my question but any of you guys know how much it would be to build your own garage???

Quick Reply: Building my dream garage Help!