C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 4LT leather dash issues/repair failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:34 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
If you go the the ZR1 Z06 threads there are currently several threads and many threads on this issue in the past. The glue issue is legit, Chevrolet does not make the dashes. Many high dollar cars had the same issue. The windshield DOES NOT have to come out. Mine was replaced with a customer satisfaction deal and cost me $500. I was very fortunate.
If it was done right and they didn't do it by removing the windshield then they pulled the entire dashboard out of the car. I'd much rather have my windshield removed and replaced than the dashboard and it would be cheaper than $500. If you're satisfied that's all that matters.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:38 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
The government did not force the car companies to use an ineffective glue. The car companies chose to use that glue and should have known that if the glue would not be adequate, then don't offer leather-clad dashboards or come up with something else. Making excuses for lame design & production decisions allows companies to continue to get away with making junk.
You would have thought that Chrysler learned this lesson for them all when practically every single head liner was sagging in the 98-03 cars.

Then again... **If it lays flat, it can't sag.. Right??

Last edited by User Omega; 01-04-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

This issue has been documented on the C6 3LZ Vettes also.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:12 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
If it was done right and they didn't do it by removing the windshield then they pulled the entire dashboard out of the car. I'd much rather have my windshield removed and replaced than the dashboard and it would be cheaper than $500. If you're satisfied that's all that matters.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, I got a brand new dash, over $2000.00, old one removed, new one put in, 2 days of labor, and the windshield was not taken out. So yes, I'm happy and satisfied considering the majority got no help from Chevrolet.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

When I bought my 2009 used off the lot, it had the dash problem that you have. Part of the deal was to fix it to my satisfaction. They tried to glue it down, but that didnt really work too well and wouldn't guarentee anything. They ended up putting in a new dash for customer satisfaction thru GM. Would not warranty the new dash. Claim that the glue that they are using in the dash has changed thru the years and is not as effective for some reason.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:31 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Ah!, the good ol' days ...

Never had to worry about some dash pad debonding from my dads 1962 Impala.

All metal

None of those nasty seat belts to get tangled up either. I think they had started padding the dashes by the time my dad got his 64.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I think one of the problems that makes re-glueing problematic, is that applying new glue to a surface that already has had another adhesive used on it prevents the new glue from bonding to the surface material, so it ends up failing again. To do it right, you'd probably have to find some way to remove all the old glue residue first, which may be nearly impossible to do given the types of surfaces involved.

I've wondered if a better solution might be to drill a few holes in the forward edge and install some black plastic Christmas tree rivets to hold it down, along with re-glueing it.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:54 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
You could be right, Dave. Hard to believe it's going on into two generations of the car's dash.
Also the top rattle/squeak problem seemed to hang around also.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by ge1040
I was wondering if anyone else has made an attempt to repair their leather dash on their 4LT corvette.

What it is doing is bubbling and separating in the heat.

I went through my dealership and paid for a repair which involved a reglue of the dash.

The problem has returned and I just wanted to see if anyone successfully repaired theirs.

thank you.
The only response I would have is, "Why did you go to the dealer?" There is not a single person on the staff there who has ever designed, made, or installed an interior.

Someone who specializes in automotive interiors will likely do the job for a little less, and give you warranty.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution to this common problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:53 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

it is sadly an issue that runs across the board with pretty much any vehicle that has a leather dash, poor adhesive, heat, humidity all play a factor. I have seen dashes in another brand of vehicle peel almost all the way loose and it was a low mileage, garage kept vehicle.
If you are keeping the car and GM won't help, I would look for an automotive interior shop that will use the proper glue and have the dash redone, if they pull the dash it will likely get very expensive, pulling the windshield is a cheaper and easier option if the shop is willing to do it and if the windshield doesn't break.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 AM
ge1040
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
The only response I would have is, "Why did you go to the dealer?" There is not a single person on the staff there who has ever designed, made, or installed an interior.

Someone who specializes in automotive interiors will likely do the job for a little less, and give you warranty.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution to this common problem.
The dealer just pulled the dash and they sent it to an upholstery shop who did a half *** job and wants to get paid for repairing it. No one takes any pride in their work anymore.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

After reading all these posts in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that there is really maybe only one [permanent fix] for this problem:

Replace the 4LT dash with a 1LT, 2LT or 3LT dash.

Anyone agree ?
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
Landru (01-08-2018), TCW (06-12-2022)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:45 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
After reading all these posts in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that there is really maybe only one [permanent fix] for this problem:

Replace the 4LT dash with a 1LT, 2LT or 3LT dash.

Anyone agree ?
There are some "3" packages that are the leather depending on year, mine is a 2008 3LZ which was the highest option package then.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I guess I would have been safe saying ... Replace with a 1LT or 2LT dash

(I was thinking of the 2010 - 2013 cars)

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 01-05-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The dealer just pulled the dash and they sent it to an upholstery shop who did a half *** job and wants to get paid for repairing it. No one takes any pride in their work anymore.
That's partially accurate. You know the custom and hot rods get their entire interiors done. Still. The workmanship can, and usually is outstanding unless the biz wants to go out of biz real fast. If it were me, and since there is no warranty from the car maker/dealer, I'd go look for rod and custom clubs, ask them who does excellent work and go from there.

And no, I wouldn't just immediately take the first recommendation; I'd go find out more about the shop, the work that's already been done, etc. Trust but verify is the operative phrase. If you don't have time or inclination to do that, you will suffer whatever happens (good or bad) as a result.

You can also try Corvette clubs in your area for those who have older generations that need/have had restorations. But some/most of the work done on earlier-gen interiors isn't truly custom; it's adding already-made seat covers, panels, carpets, etc.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by psp6158
There are some "3" packages that are the leather depending on year, mine is a 2008 3LZ which was the highest option package then.
That's the same dash as the 4LT though, so same issue
Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I understand what you are saying, and partially agree with it. What you are missing is, by going to the dealer, you have zero recourse. If you had gone straight to a reputable upholstery shop, they would not do a "half ***" job, because they are working for YOU, not the dealer. They know the dealer doesn't give a rat's butt about your out-of-warranty car. They also know the dealer will be on the hook for any problems, not them.

It is important to deal directly with people who are most experienced with doing repairs of the type you need. Sadly, some shop personnel at a Chevy dealership will spend a 1/2 hour looking for the dipstick to measure the trans fluid in an A6 because they don't know there isn't a dipstick. That is no joke...and that is not the person I want working on my car.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 4LT leather dash issues/repair failure

Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
popeyez
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 C6 4LT had the same leather dash shrink problem as described and will probably take to a good interior shop for the solution. Do appreciate all the input on this issue.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:55 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what do you think Chevy or whoever is using for glue on the C7’s? There sure are a lot of leather wrapped dashes and a huge amount of C7 ZO6’s out there. Plenty of them in my area, haven’t heard of any problems as of yet.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Where did you come up with this one???? Contact Cement has been used for decades for bonding disimilar materials with great results and it has not been banned by any unnamed federal agengy.
The only adhesive banned are those containing asbestos (1986), and that is banned worldwide in any civilized nation companies due to health risks (asbestosis, etc.) and of course litigation law suits.

GM likely used a cheaper water based adhesive instead of the good stuff.
Read it here on Corvette Forum in a thread concerning this same issue. It was offered by another member and if not accurate, I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: C6 4LT leather dash issues/repair failure