C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in the dash when I'm at high way speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Jefflitz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in the dash when I'm at high way speed

Thie noise sounds like a little vibration but it does not happen all the time. But it is mostly noticeable at 65 or above but will come and go. I don't notice any thing different in my steering wheel or seat. My service garage said my front tires were cupping and I replaced those with a four wheel alignment but it is still an issue. I'm think in the spring I will have it realigned and all wheels rebalanced. Is there anything else I should get checked out. By the way I have had this car 4 years and 24k miles and never a problem until this summer. The only thing that was done was oil change and air filters. the car has 32k now. Other than this annoying noise sometimes the car rides perfectly.
It's a 2007 stock with 32k, all original.
Thanks Jeff
Old 01-04-2018, 04:29 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Could be the windshield problem I've read about on here. Hopefully someone will chime in that's had this issue.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2013 GS has the same noise that you are talking about but do not know what it is. I changed out the stock front spoiler and put a ZR1 splitter on the front so it was not that. It sounds like it is coming out of the dash on the passenger side.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Geovanny189
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the wipers. When you here the noise, turn the wipers on and it goes away until it’s back to the orginal spot.

Last edited by Geovanny189; 01-04-2018 at 05:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Geovanny189:
jayyyw (01-10-2018), Jefflitz (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
1RB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geovanny189
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the wipers. When you here the noise, turn the wipers on and it goes away until it’s back to the orginal spot.
Similar on my 2012 GS a year ago. I described it as sounding like "bees in the glovebox" Was caused by improper installation of molding in front bottom of windshield, that deteriorates and causes buzzing sound above approx 60mph.. If this is what you have, can be isolated by adding tape to tape the molding to the lower windshield. If it goes away, you've found the cause.

There was a Service bulletin on it. Dealer replaced my molding per bulletin out of warranty. Sorry, but I don't recall the number of the bulletin.

But I believe there were threads on the Forum.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Jefflitz (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by airmed2
Could be the windshield problem I've read about on here. Hopefully someone will chime in that's had this issue.
Well known malady. A forum search will turn up a lot of info. It is annoying, I know.
Jefflitz (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:15 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre34
Well known malady. A forum search will turn up a lot of info. It is annoying, I know.
I prefer Google.

Search using "Corvetteforum: C6 Noise coming from dash"
Old 01-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

It's the cowling by the windshield, under the wipers, mine did it too, simple fix, silence afterwards! I'll bet you lunch money!
The following 2 users liked this post by Lee Cromwell:
Jefflitz (01-05-2018), mikecronis (02-22-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

So, most here know what it is, a pretty common issue with the windshield cowl panel vibrating against the glass. Fixes range from a new panel, the GM repair, tape or black silicone between the panel and glass.

Just FYI, here is the original PI. I don't recall that this actually made it to full TSB status but maybe it did. See post 4:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-12-gs.html
Jefflitz (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
So, most here know what it is, a pretty common issue with the windshield cowl panel vibrating against the glass. Fixes range from a new panel, the GM repair, tape or black silicone between the panel and glass.

Just FYI, here is the original PI. I don't recall that this actually made it to full TSB status but maybe it did. See post 4:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-12-gs.html

In post 4, the service information specifies Corvette model years from 2010>13. The OP's car is an 07! Was this problem reported for all C6 years?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This....

Originally Posted by 1RB
Similar on my 2012 GS a year ago. I described it as sounding like "bees in the glovebox" Was caused by improper installation of molding in front bottom of windshield, that deteriorates and causes buzzing sound above approx 60mph.. If this is what you have, can be isolated by adding tape to tape the molding to the lower windshield. If it goes away, you've found the cause.

There was a Service bulletin on it. Dealer replaced my molding per bulletin out of warranty. Sorry, but I don't recall the number of the bulletin.

But I believe there were threads on the Forum.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Jefflitz
3rd Gear

Thanks guys, I'm glad others have had this same issue, i was going nuts trying to figure out the cause and the fix. I can't wait to try the recommended fixes. I'll let you know in the spring.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

My 08 did it.

Just add some tape over the cowl and onto the windshield then go for a drive. This should verify the cowl is the issue.

You will need to be able to pull the wiper units off and this can be tricky but doable with out a puller device. Be sure to note where the wiper sits on the rotating bolt. this will orient them back to previous spot.

Pull the cowling off, yes there are some screws. Be sure to see if all the clips are in working order. Some report broken clips. A little silicon around the jaws if the clip will keep the cowl from buzzing. Think there are 5 clips.

Do not take the easy way ad try to add a sealant along the window under the cowl. For myself it just made a mess.

Usually the passenger side windshield just where it bends towards the A pillar is where it usually vibrates.

Also note that a more flexible rubber type edge is bonded to the harder cowl body and this can split along the weld causing a problem too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boomer111:
RogerRamjet21 (03-09-2018), Sabre34 (01-05-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Jefflitz
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jefflitz
Thie noise sounds like a little vibration but it does not happen all the time. But it is mostly noticeable at 65 or above but will come and go. I don't notice any thing different in my steering wheel or seat. My service garage said my front tires were cupping and I replaced those with a four wheel alignment but it is still an issue. I'm think in the spring I will have it realigned and all wheels rebalanced. Is there anything else I should get checked out. By the way I have had this car 4 years and 24k miles and never a problem until this summer. The only thing that was done was oil change and air filters. the car has 32k now. Other than this annoying noise sometimes the car rides perfectly.
It's a 2007 stock with 32k, all original.
Thanks Jeff
I took the car out for a drive the other day with tape on the windshield and cowling and no noise. I'll drive it a few more times, weather permitting, and see if it remains quiet before I take it to get fixed to make sure that is the problem.
Thanks you guys for all the suggestions and the recommended fix.
Jeff
Old 02-22-2018, 04:12 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Default -

Used to have it on my 2013 GS -- on the right side just under the wiper-- I put a small piece of black electrical tape - about 2 in long - centered at the overlap of the cowl and windshield.. - it fixed the humm.. so now I know the position... when it gets a bit warmer I will remove the tape - and add a small amount of adhesive under the cowl...

yea I know there is a bulletin on this - take it to the dealer and he can fix it.. but the problem is this -- if he fixes it there -- what did he screw up or scratch and or damage - like the guy who brought his car to the dealer, the mechanic who sat in the seat with a screw driver in his rear pants pocket.. - - the guy complained to the dealer but dealer said our mechanics would never do anything like that!..
Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The sound is akin to "bees in a can".
Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
My 08 did it.

Just add some tape over the cowl and onto the windshield then go for a drive. This should verify the cowl is the issue.

You will need to be able to pull the wiper units off and this can be tricky but doable with out a puller device. Be sure to note where the wiper sits on the rotating bolt. this will orient them back to previous spot.

Pull the cowling off, yes there are some screws. Be sure to see if all the clips are in working order. Some report broken clips. A little silicon around the jaws if the clip will keep the cowl from buzzing. Think there are 5 clips.

Do not take the easy way ad try to add a sealant along the window under the cowl. For myself it just made a mess.

Usually the passenger side windshield just where it bends towards the A pillar is where it usually vibrates.

Also note that a more flexible rubber type edge is bonded to the harder cowl body and this can split along the weld causing a problem too.
I'm going to go after this problem (08 base). What kind of silicon (lube, sealant, etc.)?

Get notified of new replies

To Noise in the dash when I'm at high way speed

Quick Reply: Noise in the dash when I'm at high way speed