C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Deck flooring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Race Deck flooring

Members with Race Deck flooring, would you do it again, any negatives or other comments, thanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulEddie
Members with Race Deck flooring, would you do it again, any negatives or other comments, thanks.
I've had mine installed since 2010. It has stood up really well on it's own. The downside is that it will leave imprints in the flooring if a jack stand is used without plywood under it. (I found out the hard way) I did have some extra tiles that I replaced the gouged ones with.
The tiles stand up really well to any fluid spills of any type from a vehicle, and cleans up nicely. Really tough stains can be removed with brake cleaner, that will not harm the tiles.
It will lift up at the door entrance in the summer heat due to expansion, but it will sit again when it cools.

I made a mistake and bought white tiles. They are very difficult to keep clean and looking good. If I were to do it again, I'd have gone with Black/Gray instead of Black/White.
Here is a pic of the 3rd year of installation.

Year 5 of installation

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have put Race Deck in two hoses. The first was '06 and the current house in '14. I had the same "buckling"that LV2TOUR had at the first place. When I opened the garage door it pucker up but always settled down.

At my current house I made sure to leave about 1/2" gap on both side walls of the garage and have had no problem with buckling.

I also agree with LV2TOUR about the white tile. They require more attention and periodic replace of some, usually the ones under the tires.

Overall I am very pleased with the product and wouldn't hesitate installing it again.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:15 AM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Great looking Vette and garage.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Looks great, have always wanted it, JUST TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE
NSF
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Very happy with mine. Of course, we get lots of snow every winter, so I place a car mat down so the mud and slush doesn't mar the tile and trap water. I only do this in one bay since the other house vehicles that are stored during winter.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Mine's been in for a few years and I'm satisfied. Left a 1/2" wide gap around edges and filled gap with 1/2" foam weatherstrip for appearance. No buckling. Joining Garage Journal got me free shipping.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I did it in one garage but have no plans to get tiles for the new garage. I paid enough back in 2009 and not willing to spend more money on it for another garage. It looks cool but you need to keep it clean and it moves and shifts with extreme heat. Better ways to spend my money now, one garage is enough.

Last edited by millsy; 01-10-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I've thought about this flooring too, but my concern is oil and other fluids such as coolant, power steering fluid etc.
If there are spills, doesn't it just go between the tiles and stay underneath on the concrete?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Looks great, have always wanted it, JUST TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE
NSF
says the guy with the EXPENSIVE new driveway! lol, j/k. it looks great btw.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stingray71
I've thought about this flooring too, but my concern is oil and other fluids such as coolant, power steering fluid etc.
If there are spills, doesn't it just go between the tiles and stay underneath on the concrete?
It could. When I change out any fluids, I just place a mat under them.

If some fluid gets through, you can remove a few tiles and clean up underneath though I have not had this problem.

Also as far as pricing is concerned, there are different vendors and price points so shop around. I bought mine at bigfloors
Old 01-10-2018, 02:28 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
It could. When I change out any fluids, I just place a mat under them.

If some fluid gets through, you can remove a few tiles and clean up underneath though I have not had this problem.

Also as far as pricing is concerned, there are different vendors and price points so shop around. I bought mine at bigfloors
I did spill some oil on a few tiles, and surprisingly, very little dripped down between the tiles. As mentioned, very easy to lift a few tiles to look under and clean up if needed.

BTW, I would suggest placing landscape fabric between the tile and cement floor to stop the echo sound when walking on it.
I didn't do that initially, and the echo while walking on the floor drove me nuts!
I removed the flooring, placed the fabric and re-installed the tiles. The echo went away. Also, the fabric will catch any spills that get between the tiles, and not impregnate the cement floor if that is a concern.

I bought my tiles from Bigfloors dot com when they had a sale on. There is also similar tiles to race deck on that site that are much cheaper, and IMO, of a similar quality.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:30 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Seems like if jack stands leave an imprint then maybe the wheels of a floor jack would do the same if you don't use something underneath it ??
Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by windyC6
Seems like if jack stands leave an imprint then maybe the wheels of a floor jack would do the same if you don't use something underneath it ??
My heavy floor jack has steel wheels and do not leave any imprints. Just from the cheap jack stands that I have. The heavier, better quality jack stands with wide feet should not be an issue. My jack stands legs are hollow, and the edges dig in a bit. I have 1/2" plywood that I place under the jack stands to protect the floor.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:40 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
My heavy floor jack has steel wheels and do not leave any imprints. Just from the cheap jack stands that I have. The heavier, better quality jack stands with wide feet should not be an issue. My jack stands legs are hollow, and the edges dig in a bit. I have 1/2" plywood that I place under the jack stands to protect the floor.
Thanks.....they must be some pretty heavy duty pieces if they stand up to the amount of weight and small contact patch thats applied under floor jack wheels....
Old 01-10-2018, 02:46 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I did spill some oil on a few tiles, and surprisingly, very little dripped down between the tiles. As mentioned, very easy to lift a few tiles to look under and clean up if needed.

BTW, I would suggest placing landscape fabric between the tile and cement floor to stop the echo sound when walking on it.
I didn't do that initially, and the echo while walking on the floor drove me nuts!
I removed the flooring, placed the fabric and re-installed the tiles. The echo went away. Also, the fabric will catch any spills that get between the tiles, and not impregnate the cement floor if that is a concern.

I bought my tiles from Bigfloors dot com when they had a sale on. There is also similar tiles to race deck on that site that are much cheaper, and IMO, of a similar quality.

Good idea on the landscaping fabric. I never got any kind of echo sound but do get the clomp,clomp sound described in other threads. For some reason, I like the sound so never tried to quite it down.

I don't recall what I paid at bigfloors (maybe 1.79 a square foot). The sales are good. I checked their site and it looks like the style I bought are at 1.99 which is still a good discount. Of course, the tiles are probably not as sturdy as some of the other brands but I really don't need anything more since I don't do any super heavy duty work in the garage.

Last edited by 1rusty1; 01-10-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 PM
PaulEddie
Instructor

I am thinking about this instead of Race Deck. This is from WeatherTech

Solid with Raised Squares
$1.99 / Per Sq. Ft.

Available in 12" x 12" tile size only

Free shipping on TechFloor orders over $200

Last edited by PaulEddie; 01-10-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Race Deck flooring

Old 01-10-2018, 02:54 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by windyC6
Thanks.....they must be some pretty heavy duty pieces if they stand up to the amount of weight and small contact patch thats applied under floor jack wheels....
The underneath of the tiles have crisscross design that spreads out the weight distribution.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:00 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaulEddie
I am thinking about this instead of Race Deck. This is from WeatherTech

Solid with Raised Squares
$1.99 / Per Sq. Ft.

Available in 12" x 12" tile size only

Free shipping on TechFloor orders over $200
They look solid, and at a good price for sure.
Check out www.bigfloors.com for all kinds of options and pricing.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:00 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,487 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I installed Garage Deck in my garage. The reason I choose Garage Deck is that you will find with some digging, that both Race and Garage are made and shipped from the exact same location in Utah. They are both made by the same company. With that, the Garage Deck is a about half the price just over $2 Sq ft. It looks identical, same colors and patterns, but the load is bit less. The stuff cleans excellent; I can't get it to stain. I simply power wash it, run my power scrubber on it, and if there is paint, etc, I simply use mineral spirits and it is like new. The only rub is because of the lighter load factor, I always place rubber pads under my jack wheels and use RV pads under my jack stands as I did cause a couple of dimples without. The beauty was when i did dimple them, it took about 5 min to replace the tiles. This stuff is so easy to work with. I have a 3 car garage and it took me and a buddy about 3 hrs to do the main floor and about 3 hrs to trim the tiles for the edge fit. I used my table saw to cut perfect. I have had my floor for about 4 years now and it still looks great. I have had a few more friends install it now in their garage as well. Previously I had epoxy and while it held up pretty nice, after about 7 yrs it started to fade. My gf convinced me to splurge and get the floor I really wanted this time. I would recommend it to anyone!

Quick Reply: Race Deck flooring