C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console Lid Latch Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:48 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Console Lid Latch Update

Many thanks to doomi and 72GACRZR for providing pictures and dimensions of the latch portion of the lid. The 3D model has been updated and last night I did a test print of it in ABS. The first picture is how it looks when finished printing while the next two are with the piece and supports separated. The printed part is on the left while the raft and support structure used during the print is on the right.

I will do some comparisons against my original broken latch in the next few days and then do some test fitting with the console and lid. I plan to make this model free once all the test fits and refinements have been completed. I am also thinking about making an original and one with an extended latch for those with aftermarket padded console lids. My latch always fit much tighter with the padded lid and that, along with the poor engineering of the latch itself, probably lead to an earlier demise.

The dream goal would be to invert the model once proven, create molds out of aluminum or steel on a CNC mill, then use the injection molding machine at my maker space to recreate the factory piece in ABS with the same mold lines. I will update this thread when I know more.
Attached Images     
The following 6 users liked this post by PCMusicGuy:
fireparamed (01-11-2018), Frankie15 (01-12-2018), mcandrew67 (01-12-2018), Rontime (01-11-2018), Vet Interested (01-11-2018), Welker1 (01-11-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Awesome job! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks again so much for doing this. Can't wait to have a working latch again.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:21 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

This is seriously cool. Thanks for all of your hard work on this.

What a cool forum!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Is the original latch also made of ABS? If it is, it should be simple to repair, just use some ABS plumbers cement and glue it back together, it will be stronger than it was before it cracked if done right.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:37 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Is the original latch also made of ABS? If it is, it should be simple to repair, just use some ABS plumbers cement and glue it back together, it will be stronger than it was before it cracked if done right.
I'm pretty sure the original is ABS. Most plastic parts on cars are. While repairing is possible, that only helps if you can locate the broken piece of the latch. The hard angled design probably means it will fail again at some point too, no matter how much glue you use.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Many thanks to doomi and 72GACRZR for providing pictures and dimensions of the latch portion of the lid. The 3D model has been updated and last night I did a test print of it in ABS. The first picture is how it looks when finished printing while the next two are with the piece and supports separated. The printed part is on the left while the raft and support structure used during the print is on the right.

I will do some comparisons against my original broken latch in the next few days and then do some test fitting with the console and lid. I plan to make this model free once all the test fits and refinements have been completed. I am also thinking about making an original and one with an extended latch for those with aftermarket padded console lids. My latch always fit much tighter with the padded lid and that, along with the poor engineering of the latch itself, probably lead to an earlier demise.

The dream goal would be to invert the model once proven, create molds out of aluminum or steel on a CNC mill, then use the injection molding machine at my maker space to recreate the factory piece in ABS with the same mold lines. I will update this thread when I know more.
Cool!

Once you get the printing tweaked in, how long will it take to produce one usable part?

FWIW: I'm a self-employed moldmaker, fifty years' experience. There are a lot of variables, but you would have to sell a LOT of parts to make an injection mold worthwhile.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Where does it break?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Cool!

Once you get the printing tweaked in, how long will it take to produce one usable part?

FWIW: I'm a self-employed moldmaker, fifty years' experience. There are a lot of variables, but you would have to sell a LOT of parts to make an injection mold worthwhile.
I know of a company that has a 3D printer that will run production parts. Much more cost effective than injection mold. They use HP PA 12 Glass Filled Materials. PM if interested.

Last edited by Kvothe; 01-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kvothe
I know of a company that has a 3D printer that will run production parts. Much more cost effective than injection mold. They use HP PA 12 Glass Filled Materials. PM if interested.
Cost effective if low production, otherwise, no. But I can't see a high enough demand for a mold to pay off. Are these no longer available off the shelf?

I bought a padded console a couple of years ago and just left the latch off. Gravity seems to work pretty well.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Where does it break?

Right at that point I circled. The stock latch there is super thin and straight. That's where mine broke on both of the C6s that I've owned.

This model looks much better. It's a lot thicker.

Last edited by Frankie15; 01-11-2018 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Norskie (12-10-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

My latch fell out but is still intact. If the tolerances on your model are off when you test it I'd be happy to send you the full piece to design from before I reinstall.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Very interested and very
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Wow!

My lid hasn't latched in about 5 months. I'd love to see the progress. Gravity is working right now, but I'd like to replace the latch if not more expensive than gravity.

Is this going to be compatible with an '05 with a keyed lock? Probably not.

A girl can dream.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:06 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Make it out of aluminum!
vetten76 (03-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

awesome work, Mines been broken for years, would be nice to buy a new piece that is stronger.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Just some more info for you guys.

The part took 53 minutes to print on a PowerSpec printer. That is not 100% infill; closer to 40%, meaning the part has some hollow space inside. I imagine that making it 100% solid would take closer to 2 hours to print. The software estimated that it used 20g (0.7 oz) of filament, about $.50 worth at the current settings.

The mold making and injection molding route isn't a definite, but it is something I would like to do. This project is forcing me to learn stuff I don't already know which is a good thing. The factory part is still available at near $40 from my local dealer. Once the model is proven I will check with printing sites like Shapeways to see exactly what the cost of one would be with their different methods and options.
Frankie15 (01-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Console Lid Latch Update

Old 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Very cool! Mine was broken when I bought it, thought about glueing a thin magnet to the underside of the tab where the piece broke off, and a piece of metal across the opening it went into, but the lid doesn't seem to bounce and rattle over bumps (probably because my elbow is always on it) so I never got around to it.

Years ago I had a Caddy where the plastic glovebox latch broke, and I cast one out of steel...what a job. Wish we'd had CAD-CAM back then!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Just some more info for you guys.

The part took 53 minutes to print on a PowerSpec printer. That is not 100% infill; closer to 40%, meaning the part has some hollow space inside. I imagine that making it 100% solid would take closer to 2 hours to print. The software estimated that it used 20g (0.7 oz) of filament, about $.50 worth at the current settings.

The mold making and injection molding route isn't a definite, but it is something I would like to do. This project is forcing me to learn stuff I don't already know which is a good thing. The factory part is still available at near $40 from my local dealer. Once the model is proven I will check with printing sites like Shapeways to see exactly what the cost of one would be with their different methods and options.
Thanks for the comments.

My random thoughts:

- This is the first I've heard of these latches breaking; I thought the glove box latch was more troublesome.

- A single-cavity production mold would cost around $8-10k, give or take a couple thou, depending. It would produce a part in 20-30 seconds.

- The tiny spring hole in the side could be molded in, but would raise the price of the tool. For something as low-production as this would be, it would be cheaper to drill the hole as a secondary operation.

- If mine broke (it's not even mounted) and I wanted it fixed, I would pay the $40 dealer price, unless someone could print one cheaper that was at least as strong.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bruze
Thanks for the comments.

My random thoughts:

- This is the first I've heard of these latches breaking; I thought the glove box latch was more troublesome.

- A single-cavity production mold would cost around $8-10k, give or take a couple thou, depending. It would produce a part in 20-30 seconds.

- The tiny spring hole in the side could be molded in, but would raise the price of the tool. For something as low-production as this would be, it would be cheaper to drill the hole as a secondary operation.

- If mine broke (it's not even mounted) and I wanted it fixed, I would pay the $40 dealer price, unless someone could print one cheaper that was at least as strong.
I have heard of many of them breaking, but you are right in that I've heard of the glove box pieces breaking too. I haven't personally had that issue so it isn't one I've pursued. Additionally, I saw a replacement picture part on the internet for this latch at Cultrag and it looks like the latch had a better design in the mold where it attaches to the rest of the plastic piece. I don't know if this was an early C6 problem that was later corrected.

For the mold, if I learn to make the mold in my spare time with tooling available to me, it won't cost me anything but time spent learning a new skill and maybe $50 in aluminum. Thanks for the tip on the hole.

Also, printing one as strong should be pretty easy. I'm pretty sure it would cost less than $40 as well.

Quick Reply: Console Lid Latch Update