C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Corvette...looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM
redback
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My first Corvette...looking for advice

Hello Everyone,
After looking for many years, it seems as though I have found the Vette that I will be buying.
I'm asking for some advice as to what, if anything, I should look for when I go to see the car.
I live in Ottawa, ON, Canada, and the car is in Montreal...about 2 hours away.
The car I am looking at is a 2005 Coupe, with less than 6,000 km's. (3800 miles). The older gentleman who owned it traded it in. Everything, except for the battery is original, even the air in the tires. :-)
I realize that the tires will need to be changed, due to their age. The unfortunate thing is, I don't think I'll be able to take it out for a proper drive, as there is just as much snow in Montreal as there is in Ottawa.
I've read a couple of articles stating what to look for, but am hoping that you guys can help me feel more confident when I go to look at it.
While I realize that it may not be smart to buy a car without taking it for a drive, I will be able to start it up and do whatever else I wish, aside from driving it.
If I buy it, i'd have to get it transported on a flat bed to Ottawa or I was even thinking of storing it somewhere near where it is for sale and driving it home in the Spring.
Thanks for your help. I'm hoping my next new thread is one introducing myself and my new car.
Peter
The following users liked this post:
Icecap (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by redback
Hello Everyone,
After looking for many years, it seems as though I have found the Vette that I will be buying.
I'm asking for some advice as to what, if anything, I should look for when I go to see the car.
The car I am looking at is a 2005 Coupe, with less than 6,000 km's. (3800 miles). The older gentleman who owned it traded it in. Everything, except for the battery is original, even the air in the tires. :-)
I realize that the tires will need to be changed, due to their age. The unfortunate thing is, I don't think I'll be able to take it out for a proper drive, as there is just as much snow in Montreal as there is in Ottawa.
I've read a couple of articles stating what to look for, but am hoping that you guys can help me feel more confident when I go to look at it.
While I realize that it may not be smart to buy a car without taking it for a drive, I will be able to start it up and do whatever else I wish, aside from driving it.
If I buy it, i'd have to get it transported on a flat bed to Ottawa or I was even thinking of storing it somewhere near where it is for sale and driving it home in the Spring.
Thanks for your help. I'm hoping my next new thread is one introducing myself and my new car.
Peter
Good luck! I just purchased a 2005 coupe with 16,000 miles on it a little over a month ago. I absolutely love it. I had my friend/trusted mechanic put mine up on a lift to check for gouges, scrapes, rust or frame issues etc. He checked to see if there was any fluid leaking from the transmission, the radiator or the engine. He checked all of the fluid levels for full and color of fluid. I will most likely have him replace all fluids this spring. Check the battery for leaking. A big one is checking the harmonic balancer. Chances are good it will have some amount of wobble. There are two camps on this issue....some say any wobble is too much and replace it. It runs anywhere from $300 for parts to $1,200 installed. Others believe that because almost all of them from manufacture have a wobble it’s not worth replacing until it starts to fray belts. On the interior I’d check to make sure that the seats look like a car that’s only been driven 3800 miles. Check window seals for decay or brittleness. Is it a clear or painted roof? Check the gaskets for good seal and flexibility. If it looks good it could be the most fun 12 year old car you’ll ever own. I get asked all the time how new my car is by the average folks in my neighborhood and they are shocked when I tell them it’s a 2005. They think it’s styling and the condition are much newer. Good luck!
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got my 05 in December love it. It may have issues opening the doors bc touch pads corroded but easy fix. Check nave and CD player to make sure they work. ( I forgot to test CD player ). Check around battery tray for leaking acid from battery it will corroded the wire harness at that point. ( Mine had a new harness installed by PO ). Check body color roof for delamination ( factory recall ). Get a car fax or Vin report of some sort just for ease of mind. Trust me even without a test drive you will be very happy in the spring this thing is like a rocket.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

With those miles I would expect the car to be in "like new" condition. If you can't drive it get it on a lift so you or a trusted mechanic can thoroughly inspect everything from under the car. Make sure EVERYTHING works, heat, AC, memory, radio, CD, everything. If you have to get the owners manual out and read thru it while you check all the features and functions.
Good luck!
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Hello Everyone,
Peter
check the harmonic balancer for excessive wobble.very expensive at dealership to replace($1,400.)check heat and air controls that air is going out proper vents in all positions.sounds like its at a dealer now?if so have them put it up on a lift for you to inspect.with that mileage car should be as new.post pictures as soon as possible.good luck on purchase
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

With that low mileage, and you feeling comfortable about the history of the car, I'm sure you will be happy with the purchase. I HATE not driving a car I am going to buy but sometimes it is worth the gamble when driving conditions or distance don't allow it. Easy for me to say? No because I just did the same thing with an '09 with 5,000 miles that should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. I feel comfortable with the purchase but still quite nervous since I couldn't see it or drive it in person. Just couldn't be done with the car in storage up on Cape Cod where they have had a horrible winter. If I waited the car would be gone.
I wish you the best!
Have any photos? Here's one of mine. Arriving soon..
Attachment 48245331

Last edited by Atomic6; 11-06-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 AM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

Actually, even if the roads were bone dry and you were able to take it out for a drive, in theory, it would be an illegal drive, as in the province of QC from Dec. 15 to Mar. 15 every vehicle must have winter tires. It's the law. I'm going to assume the car doesn't have winter tires...
The fine is actually between $200 and $300 plus costs. Cash grab, and not easily enforced, but still a law.
On the bright side, there are no front license plates in QC!!!

I have a 2007 Indy 500 Pace car and love it...

Good luck with your purchase.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

I suggest that you get the VIN and take it to your local Chevy dealer, and have them check to see what service and recalls it's had to this point. The one thing I didn't see mentioned is the fuel tank fitting leak. Your soon-to-be 2005 is out of the grace period where GM might do something about it if/when it occurs. Not cheap to fix, so something you need to be aware of. Other than that, you will need to make a decision as to tire choice (brand, run-flat or not). Despite what others may argue, these are not Canadian winter cars. Way too much power for the amount of traction when the tires get cold. As to what the other posts are saying, I pretty much agree with all of it, and do try to get a second opinion on the mechanics if possible. Low mileage doesn't always correlate to no problems. Things seize up if not used (e.g. parking brakes, A/C gaskets, etc), so get as much checked as possible.

These are great cars - hope you get what you are looking for and enjoy it.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by my1970conv
Actually, even if the roads were bone dry and you were able to take it out for a drive, in theory, it would be an illegal drive, as in the province of QC from Dec. 15 to Mar. 15 every vehicle must have winter tires. It's the law. I'm going to assume the car doesn't have winter tires...
The fine is actually between $200 and $300 plus costs. Cash grab, and not easily enforced, but still a law.
On the bright side, there are no front license plates in QC!!!

I have a 2007 Indy 500 Pace car and love it...

Good luck with your purchase.
Hi there fellow Canuk and Pace Car owner. We acquired ours in October of 2016 and it had to sit in winter storage in another city 300 Km away until we could bring it home in April 2017 due to a long dragged out winter.

Even in April we had to go over 100 Km's out of our way to avoid high mountain passes where there was still snow and black ice in places.

One of the things I found out early is that the Michelin Pilot SS tires had about as much traction as a hockey puck when it was cold and proceeded to scare the hell out of myself a few times.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Hello Everyone,
Peter
Welcome to the forum fellow Canuck. I'm sure you will enjoy that car a lot. With that low mileage it should be a great find and reliable fun car.

Our Corvette is the best thing that ever happened to my wife and I having acquired it after having been retired for a few years. We joined a Corvette club and have a full calendar of fun events activities and socials for at least 6 months of the year now.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

When buying a vet, pull the gm service history, get a carfax on the car to give you an idea of its history, then have a mechanic you trust go over it with a fine tooth comb, including check for trouble codes with a Tech two scanner as well (needed to pull codes in the body modules that may not appear with a standard scanner).

Hence if you do have problems down the road with the vet, or its a lemon to start with, such repairs are going to be very expensive, and what we call Corvette tax.

Truth is, before you do the above, don't even talk price, since problems above will dictate needed repairs that need to be either fixed before you buy it, reduction in price (know the actual amount that the repairs are going to cost, and not some low ball number throw at you isntead), or in the case off some vets that a lemons or has a checkered past, to just walk away from the deal instead.

Hell, A C6 vet still having Goodyear F1 tires on it, means the tires are old and have become hard with reducing in grip, and your looking at close to $2K to put new summer performance tire (PSS) on it to begin with.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM
redback
Instructor

Originally Posted by Atomic6
With that low mileage, and you feeling comfortable about the history of the car, I'm sure you will be happy with the purchase. I HATE not driving a car I am going to buy but sometimes it is worth the gamble when driving conditions or distance don't allow it. Easy for me to say? No because I just did the same thing with an '09 with 5,000 miles that should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. I feel comfortable with the purchase but still quite nervous since I couldn't see it or drive it in person. Just couldn't be done with the car in storage up on Cape Cod where they have had a horrible winter. If I waited the car would be gone.
I wish you the best!
Have any photos? Here's one of mine. Arriving soon..
Attachment 48245331
Nice Car!!!
Atomic6 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 PM
redback
Instructor

Thank you Everyone for your feedback.
I do have the CarProof on the vehicle and all it shows is the 1 recall which I confirmed when I called a local stealership and they ran the VIN for me.
I'm hoping to find the thread which I previously found with a long list of things to check, including everything mentioned above.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like a good car, I agree with above on what to check. There should be a few A/S tires options available to extend your driving season. Check for damage under the car especially on the jack points that are on the side of the car (2 ea side). If you don't use jack pucks you have a good chance of cracking the panels which is an expensive repair.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

You just have to do everything you can to check out the car under the circumstances and make your decision. Would feel better about the deal if you were dealing with the original owner who has total history about the car. That said it is a low miles 05 so if everything is true you are getting a young old car so to speak which should have plenty of miles left. No warranty so you do want to have a good mechanic check it out. He can put it on a rack and check out the underbody and pretty much confirm the car is as has been represented. FWIW several years ago I bought a C3 Corvette that I did not drive first. Found the car on Hemmings and called the original owner who had owned the car for many years. Car was absolutely like new with very low miles and priced right. Owner and I talked many times on the phone and on line for several weeks and I sized him up as legit. He sent me lots of pictures from every angle. I live in NC and the car was in Northern Iowa almost 2K miles away. I sent a man a friend recommended with an enclosed car trailer and a check to pick up the car and bring it home. Everything went fine.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 01-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.
redback (01-16-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello Redback,

Be very careful of buying a used corvette in Quebec as they do not have to abide by all the disclosure laws as in Ontario. I saw an amazing GS but when I had another dealer call for me it turns out the car was purchased after an accident and repaired without being reported to insurance companies.

Not saying this is always the case but just be careful and make sure you have it checked by a Chev/GM dealer before finalizing the sale.

Hope it works out and you get a great car.
redback (01-17-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:07 AM
redback
Instructor

Thanks for all of your feedback guys.
I bought the Vette! It should arrive at me home today, and then will be in storage until mid March.
I'll post some pictures once I have the opportunity to take some.

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2018, 08:37 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for all of your feedback guys.
I bought the Vette! It should arrive at me home today, and then will be in storage until mid March.
I'll post some pictures once I have the opportunity to take some.

Thanks again
Congratulations Peter, you're gonna love it! I bought my '05 A4 Z51 in 2010 with 10K miles on it, I now have 34K miles on it. First thing I did was have the painted console piece and gauge surround bezel replaced with '08 carbon-fiber look pieces. I then had all the fluids changed and had an alignment. Eventually I had an ATI Harmonic Balancer installed and replaced the OEM Goodyears with Michelin All Season Run Flats, I have 18K on those tires now and they still look and ride like new. Something you might want to check, I recently had the fluids changed for the second time and my very trusted mechanic showed me where the rear seals were leaking, he said over time and especially limited use they dry up, shrink and start to leak/seep. He showed me the seepage and replaced all 5 rear seals along with the new fluid with the additive to prevent that clunking that some get. Only other thing I had done was a water pump when he replaced the hoses, it was leaking a bit.
We need to see pics of the car and a little more information about it when you get time...Good Luck and Congratulations!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase.
These next few months are going to go so sloooowww for you. Eventually the roads will clear of salt/snow and you'll be having a blast. I finally got delivery of mine Thursday and I think I broke my personal record of saying, "WOW" during my first drive yesterday.

Get notified of new replies

To My first Corvette...looking for advice

Quick Reply: My first Corvette...looking for advice