C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Out of State C6 - PREPARATION

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Buying Out of State C6 - PREPARATION - 2000 Miles Drive

First, I'd like to thank the CF in general - it seems I can always depend on it, no matter what crazy questions I might have. I'm sure everyone feels that way...

I am looking to buy a 2008 A6 Vert soon. The car is in Tulsa, Oklahoma; I am in SF bay area, California.

My plan is to fly there, meet the seller at the airport, drive the car to a local shop where I can get it all checked out. "IF" there isn't any matter of concern, then get oil & coolant changed and drive to his bank and transfer funds. Get the papers from his bank (they're holding the lien), and drive back. It should take me 3 days normally, or 4-5-6 days (scenic route).

I wanted to get your guys' feedback on getting ready for the big trip. Please feel free to share some pointers that you may consider would help me make this transaction and process smoother.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-02-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Depends on what's been done. I'd be more concerned with tires than coolant.

How many miles on the car?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Don't drive it in snow.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Be prepared... to walk (fly) from this deal. In most instances one will see and or discover problems within the first hour. Leave your emotions & joy with your baggage. Remember, this is a business transaction, not a vacation.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Be prepared... to walk (fly) from this deal. In most instances one will see and or discover problems within the first hour. Leave your emotions & joy with your baggage. Remember, this is a business transaction, not a vacation.
Excellent advice! But, if all works out and you can live with your findings, enjoy your ride.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 02-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

You didn't mention miles, but consider changing brake fluid while you're at it. It's cheap protection, and likely necessary based on age alone.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why not pay a local Chevy dealer to do an inspection on the car for you and email you their findings? It might save you a needless trip or if it all checks out you can be more certain the trip is worth it and you are going to go thru with the purchase.
The following users liked this post:
Z0SIS (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
True! I did that once. Went to see the car in Arkansas. The seller had misrepresented the car, and was a total jerk. I mean, even his wife was willing to negotiate the deal and he told her to shut up since it was his car. I did fly back then...

I understand it's a business transaction, not a vacation. But hopefully, all goes well; then I can turn it into a vacation. Lol.

Originally Posted by kevinjm
You didn't mention miles, but consider changing brake fluid while you're at it. It's cheap protection, and likely necessary based on age alone.
Yeah, good catch.

BTW, the seller is a CF member as well. We've been communicating through PM messages.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-01-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kevinjm
2008, 31,XXX miles. A6. LT3 (without Nav)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Why not pay a local Chevy dealer to do an inspection on the car for you and email you their findings? It might save you a needless trip or if it all checks out you can be more certain the trip is worth it and you are going to go thru with the purchase.
That's actually not a bad idea. Should I still get an inspection done upon arrival or a Chevy dealer's report would suffice? And if so, what kind of details should I have them check out.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Maybe if you call the nearest Chevy dealer ahead of time you could set up something so they could go over the car when you are there or maybe you have enough mechanical ability and experience with corvette's that you are comfortable looking over the car yourself? Talk to the dealer, they should have a checklist they will go over. Same thing they would hopefully do before putting a used car for sale on their lot. They should also be able to run a VIS report for you detailing all maintenance done at GM dealerships as well as any outstanding recalls that might need completing.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
That's actually not a bad idea. Should I still get an inspection done upon arrival or a Chevy dealer's report would suffice? And if so, what kind of details should I have them check out.
I would have this done before even going. If the report comes back and is satisfactory, you should feel pretty good about hopping on a plane and seeing it. You can tell the Chevy dealer to do their CPO inspection which is normally the more thorough of the two inspections they offer. The 'base' inspection is usually a 15-20 point, half hour effort. The CPO check would be >100 points. You can also tell the dealer to look for specific items if you wanted.

Last edited by Z0SIS; 02-01-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Have fun driving it back. I did, from New Jersey

Last edited by Coupe89; 02-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:22 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
I would have this done before even going. If the report comes back and is satisfactory, you should feel pretty good about hopping on a plane and seeing it. You can tell the Chevy dealer to do their CPO inspection which is normally the more thorough of the two inspections they offer. The 'base' inspection is usually a 15-20 point, half hour effort. The CPO check would be >100 points. You can also tell the dealer to look for specific items if you wanted.
Great pointer - I'll ask for that. And when it's time to sell, such report may still add some value.

Originally Posted by Coupe89
Have fun driving it back. I did, from New Jersey
What did you get from NJ? Please share some of your experience, trip planning, transaction preparation, things to look out for, must haves, etc...etc.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-02-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd say have the dealer ck everything, even plug in and ck the diagnostics. But, it depends on the Chev dealer; for that, I would rely on local Corv club members to direct you to not only which dealer, but which tech at the dealer. I bought a used one the exact same way as you with flying in, but I used one of the largest new-Corvette dealers and was quoted $150. Because they were so honest at Les Stanford Chev in Dearborn MI, and the car was in such excellent condition, they only charged me $54. I did it at the time of flying in and inspecting and paying for the car. Doing it in advance is not a bad idea.

One last thing is, ask about service done to the car so far. If it's an '08, all the fluids may have been in the car since '07. If it were me, I'd do a drain and fill (not flush) of the A6. Matter of fact, I'd do all the fluids but that could be excessive. (and can wait until you get it home, at which point you can go the 60 some miles to Abel Chev and get the service done!)

As to travel back, needless to say, stay on the southern-most routes (I-10 to I-8) and even then, check weather. NM, AZ can get snow even that far south. That includes TX Panhandle as well.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I’ve done this type of purchase twice. In addition to the suggested inspections the most important thing to me was contacting my insurance company, giving them the VIN and having them issue me a valid insurance ID card to travel with. When I took possession of the car I called my agent immediately, before driving away, and let them know I was in possession of the car. If I had not completed the transaction I would have called them and told them the deal did not take place. There would be no charge for the service they provided to me if I didn’t buy the car and take possession.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'd say have the dealer ck everything, even plug in and ck the diagnostics. But, it depends on the Chev dealer; for that, I would rely on local Corv club members to direct you to not only which dealer, but which tech at the dealer. I bought a used one the exact same way as you with flying in, but I used one of the largest new-Corvette dealers and was quoted $150. Because they were so honest at Les Stanford Chev in Dearborn MI, and the car was in such excellent condition, they only charged me $54. I did it at the time of flying in and inspecting and paying for the car. Doing it in advance is not a bad idea.

One last thing is, ask about service done to the car so far. If it's an '08, all the fluids may have been in the car since '07. If it were me, I'd do a drain and fill (not flush) of the A6. Matter of fact, I'd do all the fluids but that could be excessive. (and can wait until you get it home, at which point you can go the 60 some miles to Abel Chev and get the service done!)

As to travel back, needless to say, stay on the southern-most routes (I-10 to I-8) and even then, check weather. NM, AZ can get snow even that far south. That includes TX Panhandle as well.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice - I just put a thread asking for any CF members in Tulsa area; hopefully, someone responds back with a recommendation to a good shop. I did ask the seller about any history of maintenance, but his hard drive went bad, where he had saved the history. However, he said he does oil changes on time. And hasn't done anything much to the car, no other fluids changed, etc.

Big thanks for pointing out the route - I was considering Hwy 40 this entire time but now I am looking at some other options down south. I need to make a pit stop in Anaheim, CA. So, from Tulsa, I am considering Hwy 44 to Wichita Falls; back roads (277, 92, 70) to Sweetwater TX; from there jump on 20; then take 20 to 10...all the way to Anaheim, CA. I want to avoid taking 8 and go all the way down to San Diego, if possible (just adds too many miles & days).

Get notified of new replies

To Buying Out of State C6 - PREPARATION

Old 02-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Badbirdcage: good pointer. Will call Insurance ahead of time and tie that loose end.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:22 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Get the inspection done in advance, period.

Some/all of the fluids may need to be changed, but that is not something that must be done before driving it home, unless the inspection report says to. The tires are an immediate concern, so be sure they are okay for travel. If the tires are original, or badly worn, use that as a negotiating point, as they will need replacement immediately.

Many/most insurance companies automatically cover purchased vehicles for a specific number of days without notification needed. You can contact your insurance company if you want to know the duration of automatic coverage.

Before you travel, if you are not carrying the funds with you, be certain any financial institution you deal with will do a wire transfer of the funds. Not all of them accept WT's, and you will be screwed if they only accept hand-delivered funds.

The bank may have the Title located at a different facility, requiring you wait, or accept it via mail. Very few lenders keep their Titles on the premises.

Last, expect there will be difficulties! The condition of the car may not be quite what is reported to be. If you are okay with that, use it as a negotiating strategy.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I have bought quite a few cars sight unseen, and went to get a few of them to drive home. Things usually go okay, but seldom exactly as planned.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for the advice - I just put a thread asking for any CF members in Tulsa area; hopefully, someone responds back with a recommendation to a good shop. I did ask the seller about any history of maintenance, but his hard drive went bad, where he had saved the history. However, he said he does oil changes on time. And hasn't done anything much to the car, no other fluids changed, etc.

Big thanks for pointing out the route - I was considering Hwy 40 this entire time but now I am looking at some other options down south. I need to make a pit stop in Anaheim, CA. So, from Tulsa, I am considering Hwy 44 to Wichita Falls; back roads (277, 92, 70) to Sweetwater TX; from there jump on 20; then take 20 to 10...all the way to Anaheim, CA. I want to avoid taking 8 and go all the way down to San Diego, if possible (just adds too many miles & days).
^^ Your route above could be ok. When you get ready to leave, do an accuweather check all along the route using towns/cities for each and looking forward with 1, 3 or more days' weather forecast. It'll give you an idea (but it IS the weather, so it can change) of what it's going to be like and you can adjust your route accordingly. (I've done the section of 10 up to Casa Grande south of Phoenix)

Quick Reply: Buying Out of State C6 - PREPARATION