C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic antifreeze/coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 03:03 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Synthetic antifreeze/coolant

I wonder if any C6 owners have tried Synthetic anti freeze.
I tried Mercedes Benz coolant in my C4 and would like to try it in the C6. A brand name Mishimoto also sells Synthetic anti freeze.
Found nothing in the search engine for Synthetic coolant.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

In the early years, Dexcool had some problems.

More recently, it seems to be working just fine.
Lots of people here with lots of years and lots of miles and very few problems.

"Don't try to fix something that isn't broken."
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,074 Likes on 434 Posts

All antifreeze is well over 90% ethylene glycol, which by most definitions, would be called synthetic. The difference between the various “flavors” (ie, the old standby green, the orange Dex-cool, and various foreign flavors) is in the corrosion inhibitor package. The potential problem with mixing the various flavors is that the corrosion inhibitor packages may or may not be compatible. If they aren’t you can generate some very interesting goo. I never worked directly with antifreeze formulation so I can’t be any more specific than that, but I’d say that you are exposing yourself to a nontrivial risk by shifting from one grade to another.

You mentioned Mercedes antifreeze. I Googled its MSDS (material safety data sheet), and it too is mostly ethylene glycol plus small amounts of various corrosion inhibitors. So I can’t see any reason to call it any more or less synthetic than the others. There’s no such thing as an ethylene glycol tree, and you can’t pump ethylene glycol out of the ground, so as noted in the opening sentence, I’d call them all synthetic.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I can remember back when they first came out with synthetic oil. The word was "NEVER...EVER" combine Syn with reg oil or you will ruin your motor. I use to always think to myself....something about that just doesn't make sense.....now you can by them already mixed. I sometimes wonder if the freezes could be the same.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:14 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,074 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I can remember back when they first came out with synthetic oil. The word was "NEVER...EVER" combine Syn with reg oil or you will ruin your motor. I use to always think to myself....something about that just doesn't make sense.....now you can by them already mixed. I sometimes wonder if the freezes could be the same.
Can’t totally rule out that possibility, but the situation is at least somewhat different. Conventional antifreeze inhibitors are inorganic, mostly phosphates and silicates. The newer ones are organic compounds (carbon/hydrogen based), and there’s more potential for trouble when mixing organic and inorganic. Doesn’t mean there will be trouble. Just a warning flag. With motor oil, both conventional and synthetic are organics, so they have less “built in” problem potential.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by K7MXE
I wonder if any C6 owners have tried Synthetic anti freeze.
I tried Mercedes Benz coolant in my C4 and would like to try it in the C6. A brand name Mishimoto also sells Synthetic anti freeze.
Found nothing in the search engine for Synthetic coolant.
Here is some info on the MB antifreezes: http://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/down...antifreeze.pdf

MB used the equivalent of Zerex G-05 for MANY years. It is a HOAT type (hybrid organic acid technology).

Their latest is the blue version, which according to the article is not much different than the previous one........although it is more of a OAT (organic acid technology) like Dex-cool. But it is not Dex-cool.

For our newer Corvettes, just stick with Dex-cool. For the older ones (like my 1967) Zerex G-05 is the ticket. It is also what MB used for many years.

Larry
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
Can’t totally rule out that possibility, but the situation is at least somewhat different. Conventional antifreeze inhibitors are inorganic, mostly phosphates and silicates. The newer ones are organic compounds (carbon/hydrogen based), and there’s more potential for trouble when mixing organic and inorganic. Doesn’t mean there will be trouble. Just a warning flag. With motor oil, both conventional and synthetic are organics, so they have less “built in” problem potential.
Points well taken LDB. I sometimes just get a little to negative when it comes to this stuff....LOL. You know the drill...for a while there all the "experts" were saying just be sure you use the same color if you mix. Well heck....I had an old beater for about 10 years and i'd pour anything in it that was cheap....green in with yellow....yellow in with pink....etc...etc. Never saw/had any problem and if memory serves the thing even had a system made with cheap-A@# materials.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LDB
All antifreeze is well over 90% ethylene glycol, which by most definitions, would be called synthetic. The difference between the various “flavors” (ie, the old standby green, the orange Dex-cool, and various foreign flavors) is in the corrosion inhibitor package. The potential problem with mixing the various flavors is that the corrosion inhibitor packages may or may not be compatible. If they aren’t you can generate some very interesting goo. I never worked directly with antifreeze formulation so I can’t be any more specific than that, but I’d say that you are exposing yourself to a nontrivial risk by shifting from one grade to another.

You mentioned Mercedes antifreeze. I Googled its MSDS (material safety data sheet), and it too is mostly ethylene glycol plus small amounts of various corrosion inhibitors. So I can’t see any reason to call it any more or less synthetic than the others. There’s no such thing as an ethylene glycol tree, and you can’t pump ethylene glycol out of the ground, so as noted in the opening sentence, I’d call them all synthetic.
and still Much thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 AM
K7MXE
Racer

Its now a done deal with M Benz blue installed in my 2013 after a complete flush. I was noticing when my fan came on and was around 216 deg F.
I will report back in ten years to let you know how it worked out. Note M Benz also has a yellow color coolant and dont know much about it but looks a little like G05 Zerex.
Been in the C4 now a couple of years in Montana and no problems.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:58 AM
rvsullivan
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21

Just curious, is the MB coolant just really cheap? Otherwise what is the benefit of changing from Dex-cool?
Old 06-25-2018, 12:12 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

G-05 is probably the best coolant out there. If I was building a car, that is what I would use. That said, Dex-cool is completely adequate. When I change coolant in the '16 Z51 I will us Dex-cool to avoid the flushing required to change types.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I use the stuff the Corvette Engineers used in testing and evaluation and recommends. I think they put enough effort into this to stay with what is in the Manual. But That is just me -- others might think they can change fluids to different types and it now runs better. Ok with me.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
I use the stuff the Corvette Engineers used in testing and evaluation and recommends. I think they put enough effort into this to stay with what is in the Manual. But That is just me -- others might think they can change fluids to different types and it now runs better. Ok with me.
As has also already been said, why 'fix' something that isn't broken. When it comes to the fuels, other fluids, servicing, etc., I stick with what the Owner's Manual recommends. This has worked well with all my vehicles over the years, all of which have had minimal drivetrain issues, many with over 200K miles on them

Last edited by Welker1; 06-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:30 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

^^^ I'm with you ^^^ I have enough stress in other areas of my life that causes me not to over think these kinds of things. K.I.S.S
Old 06-25-2018, 05:53 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Originally Posted by rvsullivan
Just curious, is the MB coolant just really cheap? Otherwise what is the benefit of changing from Dex-cool?
The MB antifreeze is about 30 a gallon USD. Its designed to work with aluminum the best. Dexcool when not changed on time will eat your cooling system
Freeze plugs, heater core, gaskets. radiator. Buying a used car not taken care can really bite you if the previous owner did not do the changes on time.
People in the auto repair biz love dexcool, GM loves it because it gets cars off the road so you will buy new ones. Its in the owners manual on the life of the coolant
but who reads that! I did the other day and was surprised that GM said I could use tap water with the AF. I had some well water but most came out of a gallon jug
from the store. If you like it by all means stay with it, Lots of choice in this big world. I have G05 in everything else and have been happy and the old G05 goes in my
8N tractor that blows it out on a hot day running the mower.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by K7MXE
The MB antifreeze is about 30 a gallon USD. Its designed to work with aluminum the best. Dexcool when not changed on time will eat your cooling system
Freeze plugs, heater core, gaskets. radiator. Buying a used car not taken care can really bite you if the previous owner did not do the changes on time.
People in the auto repair biz love dexcool, GM loves it because it gets cars off the road so you will buy new ones. Its in the owners manual on the life of the coolant
but who reads that! I did the other day and was surprised that GM said I could use tap water with the AF. I had some well water but most came out of a gallon jug^
from the store. If you like it by all means stay with it, Lots of choice in this big world. I have G05 in everything else and have been happy and the old G05 goes in my
8N tractor that blows it out on a hot day running the mower.

^ This sounds interesting and believable. However, MB's & BMW's both those cars' weakest link is their Cooling systems. If not done every 50K miles you're asking for an entire cooling system replacement - big bucks!

My C5 lasted 10 years on the same Dexcool... Just saying..
Old 06-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I sure hope the OP got EVERY drop of DexCool out, and if not, that the new stuff doesn't act like when you mix DexCool and green antifreeze together. Green and orange equal an acidic compound that will eat the coolant system from the inside out. I had a shop do this accidentally on another of my cars, and they ended up having to replace everything having to do with the cooling system after the mixture ate through the gaskets and seals.

Get notified of new replies

To Synthetic antifreeze/coolant

Old 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I sure hope the OP got EVERY drop of DexCool out, and if not, that the new stuff doesn't act like when you mix DexCool and green antifreeze together. Green and orange equal an acidic compound that will eat the coolant system from the inside out. I had a shop do this accidentally on another of my cars, and they ended up having to replace everything having to do with the cooling system after the mixture ate through the gaskets and seals.
We did a good job Ed. Took off a hose to get around the thermostat when we flushed it. That sure cleaned out the heater rather quick. I was very choosy that way. Also had good flush a number of years ago on a Chev S10 pickup that went way over time because I did not know about Dexcool then. It did get G05 then. I looked at the MB site and they say 15 years for this stuff. I might be too old to drive then and wont care. I am not sure this blue stuff will mix with G05 as have just used it in the c6 and c4. Been in the C4 three years.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:37 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I use Evans in my C6.it has a boiling point of 375 F and I have had zero issues.
The following users liked this post:
K7MXE (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM
K7MXE
Racer

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I use Evans in my C6.it has a boiling point of 375 F and I have had zero issues.
Evans does have my interest and not that much more cost than the MB antifreeze.

Quick Reply: Synthetic antifreeze/coolant