C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Flash paint correction questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:25 AM
centennialgirl
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Flash paint correction questions

Hey guys, I just picked up a Centennial Grand Sport and the paint is ROUGH. It has a bunch of scuffs and a couple scratches, I almost left without it but they lowered the price and I figured some paint correction would get rid of most of the scuffs. Everything else about the car is exactly what I was looking for.

I know some black paints are soft and you need to be careful about using the polisher on them. Is there anything in particular I need to know about carbon flash? And how do I detail around the stripes?

The headlights are also cloudy and scratched but they're scratched on the inside which is a little weird. They aren't yellowed. I'll probably replace those eventually but is there anything I should do about them now?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bar-clean.html

Read this thread for solid advise, remember this, around here everyone has their own opinions how to go about such things. Use your own mind and gut, free advice is just that. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Last edited by S.C. vette; 02-07-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by centennialgirl
Hey guys, I just picked up a Centennial Grand Sport and the paint is ROUGH. It has a bunch of scuffs and a couple scratches, I almost left without it but they lowered the price and I figured some paint correction would get rid of most of the scuffs. Everything else about the car is exactly what I was looking for.

I know some black paints are soft and you need to be careful about using the polisher on them. Is there anything in particular I need to know about carbon flash? And how do I detail around the stripes?

The headlights are also cloudy and scratched but they're scratched on the inside which is a little weird. They aren't yellowed. I'll probably replace those eventually but is there anything I should do about them now?
This is a much longer discussion but in short, and without seeing any pictures, grab yourself a dual action polisher (I like the ol standby Porter Cable 7424), a polishing or cutting pad and some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and get to polishing. The DA does not create heat so you run no risk of burning your paint. You can lightly polish over the stripes - they will not come off.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:22 AM
centennialgirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bar-clean.html

Read this thread for solid advise, remember this, around here everyone has their own opinions how to go about such things. Use your own mind and gut, free advice is just that. Good luck and welcome aboard!
Thank you so much! I honestly didn't know there was so much to different clays. Never thought about it, I just buy Meguiar's California Gold. I always wash > clay > compound/polish > wax, and I use my DA polisher to compound/polish and wax. I know some products, like wax I believe, can haze plastics. I'm worried about hazing the stripes since they are a matte black.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 AM
centennialgirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
This is a much longer discussion but in short, and without seeing any pictures, grab yourself a dual action polisher (I like the ol standby Porter Cable 7424), a polishing or cutting pad and some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and get to polishing. The DA does not create heat so you run no risk of burning your paint. You can lightly polish over the stripes - they will not come off.
Gotcha. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a DA are exactly what I use. Will wax ruin my stripes?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I would not polish over the stripes. They are matte black and scuff and scratch extremely easily. The polisher will absolutely trash them. If you aren't confident you can stay off the edges of the stripes with the polisher, the best thing you can do is tape them off on the edges with painters tape.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 AM
BadAV
Race Director

I try to get all of the dirt/dust off the stripes by washing the car, and use detail spray to refresh them. They will lightly scratch from dust, even using a fresh microfiber towel with the detail spray. Use a very light touch, get all the dust off with the first towel and light touch. Get a new towel, spray again, then buff them out. I have used Mothers spray wax on them a few times without any negative effects. I have seen people on the forum reference a special product that is made especially for stripes but have not felt the need to seek it out yet.

Edit: I've owned my Centennial for almost 3 years now so I have been dealing with the stripes for a while.

Last edited by BadAV; 02-07-2018 at 07:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
centennialgirl (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:38 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Thank you so much! I honestly didn't know there was so much to different clays. Never thought about it, I just buy Meguiar's California Gold. I always wash > clay > compound/polish > wax, and I use my DA polisher to compound/polish and wax. I know some products, like wax I believe, can haze plastics. I'm worried about hazing the stripes since they are a matte black.
i never use a product on or near my stripes, to easy for errant marring and makes cleaning the edges twice as hard to keep clean of product.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 AM
centennialgirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BadAV
I would not polish over the stripes. They are matte black and scuff and scratch extremely easily. The polisher will absolutely trash them. If you aren't confident you can stay off the edges of the stripes with the polisher, the best thing you can do is tape them off on the edges with painters tape.
My stripes are already scratched, and there is a tiny chunk missing from one stripe. Are there places that can re-stripe my car or is that a bad idea? Will those buff out? I don't have an accurate picture of the scratches, but I'll try to grab one when it stops raining. They're not deep.

Edit: Obviously the chip will not buff out haha, but I am willing to overlook that for the time being if I can do something about the scratches.

Last edited by centennialgirl; 02-07-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:20 AM
BadAV
Race Director

My stripes are already scratched, and there is a tiny chunk missing from one stripe. Are there places that can re-stripe my car or is that a bad idea? Will those buff out? I don't have an accurate picture of the scratches, but I'll try to grab one when it stops raining. They're not deep.

Edit: Obviously the chip will not buff out haha, but I am willing to overlook that for the time being if I can do something about the scratches.
You can buy a replacement kit from GM but they are pricey. When/if the time comes, I plan to find a local shop that can duplicate the OEM stripes and install them. I don't know for certain, but I suspect aftermarket matte stripes might be more durable/less susceptible to scratching than the OEM stripes.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

good info. above on the stripes............. if they are in good condition and you do want to add some "protection" to them, Adam's has a MATTE Detailer that you can use on them......... video below

Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I may have missed an explanation, but just what is "carbon flash" in relation to auto paint? Is this simply a new name for some old school technology ?.......
Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I may have missed an explanation, but just what is "carbon flash" in relation to auto paint? Is this simply a new name for some old school technology ?.......
It's the name of a heavy metallic dark charcoal (almost black) color that came on Centennial cars. It was also used on accents for non-Centennial cars in later years.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:00 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tech
It's the name of a heavy metallic dark charcoal (almost black) color that came on Centennial cars. It was also used on accents for non-Centennial cars in later years.
OH....OK. Heck, this day and age I thought it may have meant that you can somehow "Flash your car with some carbon..........
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
If matte black then yes avoid polishing over them. However on glossy stripes I would not have an issue - have done it before many times.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
If matte black then yes avoid polishing over them. However on glossy stripes I would not have an issue - have done it before many times.
Just replace them and cover them with expel stealth or another paint protection film. I did that with mine and they are perfect.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
It was used on quite a few other cars. You could actually get it on trucks and other stuff. It' very similar to black granite metallic GM used to use. It's just a metallic black, with silver and blue flakes in it.

It's a very nice color...but I'm biased.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Flash paint correction questions

Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

While using a dual action is awesome for dullness or swirls, it typically doesn't do heavy oxidation or really troubled paint as well as a good old buff out. I have a friend in this boat, and I told him to just go to a body shop and spend $100 for the initial buffing. Also beware that even buffing wont take deep scratches out. My body man's rule is if you can catch it with a finger nail, it cannot be buffed out.......
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gliot1
While using a dual action is awesome for dullness or swirls, it typically doesn't do heavy oxidation or really troubled paint as well as a good old buff out. I have a friend in this boat, and I told him to just go to a body shop and spend $100 for the initial buffing. Also beware that even buffing wont take deep scratches out. My body man's rule is if you can catch it with a finger nail, it cannot be buffed out.......
While this is a good rule of thumb, it really boils down to just how deep the scratch is and how much clear you have to work with. Experience is key in this area.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 AM
Hwyknight
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Centennial club! Lots of great advice on this thread. I picked up my Centennial GS last summer, and the stripes do take a beating. Armor All came out with a product for matte finish surfaces, and it seems to have helped a bit. I’m considering removing my stripes and painting gloss black stripes with a super thin red pinstripe painted around them. Hmmmm.... or I might have them replaced, paint corrected, then film the whole car. Haven’t decided yet.

Why are Centennials the fastest Corvettes........because our speedometers start at 100!! Lol!

Quick Reply: Carbon Flash paint correction questions