C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tax Season

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh yeah I got a AFE Power Magnum Cold Air Intake with the Dry Filter that's it. It's running fine without tuning since I have cam, headers and Hooker Blackheart NPP. I may just have him look to make sure everything will be okay or get a touch up on the tune from my tuner but I don't know.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Do you also think it's ridiculous that users don't publish their home addresses given that our houses are visible to anybody driving down the street?

People go by pseudonyms online because they want to put some distance between what they say online and their identity in the real world.

For exactly the same reason, they prefer to obscure personally-identifying information such as their license plate number.

Of course the license number isn't a secret. It's the correlation between the license number and their online identity that they're hoping to prevent.

Obviously it's an imperfect defense. But there's no need to present identifying keys to the world's search engines in machine-readable form. Especially given the expanding circle of social media connections.

And no, this has nothing to do with the NSA or tinfoil hats. It has to do with avoiding crackpots and scammers and thieves.
"They" -- including Bigfoot -- are after all of us. Be afraid, be very afraid. That's me in the airplane, checking out this "New World Order" flying saucer:

The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Ed (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
not getting enough back to even pay my cable bill.... but i am fine with that
This is how you know you are paying the correct amount of taxes each year
Old 02-11-2018, 10:27 AM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase0808
What are you getting your Corvette with your tax return? I'm thinking about going with some cf skirts and splitter.
Lol, I wish I owe $11,000 this year. They just keep taking my money, Uncle Sam is a silent partner.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Do you also think it's ridiculous that users don't publish their home addresses given that our houses are visible to anybody driving down the street?
When did I say that ANYTHING was ridiculous? I was merely asking a question of the OP, and pointing out that your example was not valid. Since you asked, though, the same thing applies here. Your name isn't plastered on the front of your house for all to see.

People go by pseudonyms online because they want to put some distance between what they say online and their identity in the real world.

For exactly the same reason, they prefer to obscure personally-identifying information such as their license plate number.

Of course the license number isn't a secret. It's the correlation between the license number and their online identity that they're hoping to prevent.

Obviously it's an imperfect defense. But there's no need to present identifying keys to the world's search engines in machine-readable form. Especially given the expanding circle of social media connections.

And no, this has nothing to do with the NSA or tinfoil hats. It has to do with avoiding crackpots and scammers and thieves.
I know exactly why people hide their real names online; I have a degree in IT security. One thing that taught me is that I don't need your license plate number to find out exactly who you are. There's enough correlative data online to determine that without much effort. Hiding a license plate number isn't going to change that fact, nor the fact that it is completely visible just driving around on the roads, making hiding it online a moot point.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:41 PM
NTHALP
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Yeah...real story...one of the car valets at a plaza in Scottsdale was bragging about getting a $6,000 refund last year. He made a total of $18,000 parking cars. $18K, that is, on the tips he reported.

He wasn't able to comprehend that he didn't pay any taxes in the first place, but he and his live in (unemployed) girlfriend and their 6 month old child got him the $6K to which I contributed. Ya gotta just love this country...

So, he did the "responsible" thing and promptly purchased a motorcycle....with the "free money". I usually tip the valets well, but I shorted him that night....tip already given!
Next time tell him “Blue Boy to show in the Fourth. There is your tip.”
Old 02-11-2018, 02:21 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I was merely asking a question of the OP, and pointing out that your example was not valid. Since you asked, though, the same thing applies here. Your name isn't plastered on the front of your house for all to see.
My name isn't plastered on my car for all to see, either.

People obscure their plates online to avoid correlating their online identity with their plate, and by extension themselves. That is the answer to your question.

You may think this pointless because your IT degree leads you to believe that people's identity is easily discovered. But that's just a generic argument against any attempt at anonymity online. So why aren't you also asking why people don't share their real names and addresses?

The answer is the same, and with the same understanding: an imperfect defense is a hell of a lot better than none.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Uh oh, Bruze has my real name and address. I may have given him my phone number. And I have not covered my license plate in photos so he has that as well. I am probably in big trouble.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 02-11-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

....You may think this pointless because your IT degree leads you to believe that people's identity is easily discovered. But that's just a generic argument against any attempt at anonymity online.....

The answer is the same, and with the same understanding: an imperfect defense is a hell of a lot better than none.
Sorry, but it's not a "generic" argument. It's a point of fact. I'm not saying online anonymity isn't a good thing. My point was I don't understand why people would hide something that is out in the public view anyway. Do you honestly think that hiding my license plate would make my car any less recognizable?

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-11-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Uh oh, Bruze has my real name and address. I may have given him my phone number. And I have not covered my license plate in photos so he has that as well. I am probably in big trouble.
Damned right, pal.

Actually I had forgotten that I had all that info until you just reminded me.

I'm gonna jump on the next plane, fly all the way across the continent, find your house, and . . . well . . . I don't know, but I'll do something nefarious. I'll think of something during the flight.

You better get scared, Tony. Your best bet -->

I also have Pat's Garage's cell number. He'll be next on my list.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I usually pay between $20-$100 to federal. I get between $100-$300 from state. Not much in returns. A full tank of gas and ribeye steak are what I'll purchase.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:04 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Sorry, but it's not a "generic" argument. It's a point of fact. I'm not saying online anonymity isn't a good thing. My point was I don't understand why people would hide something that is out in the public view anyway.
The "in public view" thing is beside the point. Your house is also in public view. Obscuring your license plate online is the same as obscuring your address online, yet you're not confused about the latter.

It is, and has always been, about correlation. No one is trying to hide the fact that a car with such a license plate exists, or that a building at such an address exists - or even that a person with such a name exists (our names, after all, appear in millions of phone books). It's about correlation.

Everyone on this site who uses pseudonyms, or who doesn't share his full address, is playing the same game as users who obscure their plate numbers. That doesn't make them tinfoil-hat-wearing paranoids.

Do you honestly think that hiding my license plate would make my car any less recognizable?
Some cars are more recognizable than others. A plate number makes even a recognizable car keyword-searchable, and therefore orders of magnitude easier to find. Regardless, I have no criticism of you for sharing your plate number, just as I wouldn't ridicule someone else for hiding his.

Last edited by torquetube; 02-13-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: made nicer
Old 02-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

No tax return here.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:16 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bruze

Actually I had forgotten that I had all that info until you just reminded me.

:
I am a giver.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I am a giver.

Does that make Bruze the "taker?"
Old 02-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

I am a giver.

Do you have any bourbon?

Attachment 48348264
Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Do you have any bourbon?

I do! I prefer tequila neat but I do have a sip of bourbon once in a while

Get notified of new replies

To Tax Season

Old 02-11-2018, 04:54 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Ah yes....That there Tequila is good stuff, but it does make you crazy......LOL. I think maybe too many people in here have been drinking Tequila before responding to this thread. Lots of bogus mumbo-jumbo flying around in here.....
Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

That'll work, Tony! I never met a drink I didn't like.

I'll see you around 6:00 tomorrow night. Attachment 48331950 I can tell already, this is gonna be the best cyber-vacation I've ever taken.

If I promise not to do anything "nefarious," will you teach me to surf?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:24 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

If I promise not to do anything "nefarious," will you teach me to surf?
Surf's up!!! Looking up nefarious now.........

Last edited by HBsurfer; 02-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Tax Season