C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Exhaust + LT Headers / Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:12 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924
Sad thing is none of the videos do no justice to how loud the car is in person. LoL
I have the same setup as NSF and it's definitely louder in person. It can give you a headache but I don't mind sometimes
Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Please share more info on the ported MSD and JBA tri Y similar to yours. Those are some amazing numbers...

Huh? So nobody in CA gets LT headers? I am sure they do...
Basicly I looked at photos of what Tony Mamo does and then did my own as I have ported heads in the past and built super bike motors that said the MSD stock suffers from really bad build quality but fixed it up with a lot of porting and sealing of the poor ultra sonic welding of the stocker and had to flatten out the top mounting flange so it didnt leak. But I got a screaming deal last year on black friday sale at $795. otherwise I wasnt going to do it also at the same time JBA cleared out the Tri Y on sale with the mid pipes so picked those up they are the ceramic coated stainless in 1 7/8" size as opposed to Pfadt which are 1 3/4" and they have a really pleasant sound about 1 octave lower in pitch than the stock factory system. Myself and my dyno tuner where pretty amazed at the torque curve both in its shape and the amount of increase pulls really good from 2000 up and makes max torque at 4700. Rear wheel HP is 495 and torque is 485 on this particular dyno which converts to about 569hp and 557t at the flywheel and for reference a ZR1 on the same dyno does 525hprw. My motor is stock internally except for comp cams trunion upgrade and replaced the pushrods with chrome molly Texas speed 50 thou shorter than stock length to get a different preload on the lifter, MSD ignition coils, Halltech killer bee intake, and I have a stock throttle body that I have ported myself also have changed the oil in the diff and the trans to synthetic Red Line products.

Last edited by G8Pumpkin; 03-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:43 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Billy Boat LT headers are the only direct bolt on headers without having to add or modify OEM mid pipe. Likewise, Akrapovic Evo exhaust will bolt directly to OEM mid pipe without modification. NPP still functional either way!

Last edited by itomh; 03-09-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 984 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Hum..My 08 with cam,LT's,intake,Borla Stringers and custom tune is 3/4 times louder then your setup and i don't get any Drone at 75 plus mph.I think it is the npp that causes the drone with the higher pitch.I've been in a couple of vettes with npp and the windows down and my ears would ring.??
So you're saying the Kooks & ARH are better than LG? And yeah, I am looking around - no specials, individual local sale, etc going on yet. I'll just wait, not in a rush. But since I just got my new C6, I'd like to really enjoy it; and the sound is a big part of it...
Please share more info on the ported MSD and JBA tri Y similar to yours. Those are some amazing numbers...

If you watch the Kooks website spiel they expressly tell you that their product is NOT LEGAL in Mexifornia, 49 state legal but not there
Are guys running headers there, absolutely so maybe ask HOW they get away with it ???
NSF
https://www.kooksheaders.com/2009-20...ed-x-pipe.html
https://www.kooksheaders.com/automot...3-headers.html

Last edited by Not So Fast; 03-09-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Well i know for damm sure you will NOT pass unless you know someone that will not open your hood.Do your homework.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
If you watch the Kooks website spiel they expressly tell you that their product is NOT LEGAL in Mexifornia, 49 state legal but not there
Are guys running headers there, absolutely so maybe ask HOW they get away with it ???
NSF
https://www.kooksheaders.com/2009-20...ed-x-pipe.html
https://www.kooksheaders.com/automot...3-headers.html
NSF: I think the only headers that are CARB legal in Kalifornia are the shortie Hookers headers?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:24 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Well i know for damm sure you will NOT pass unless you know someone that will not open your hood.Do your homework.
I've never had them look under the hood or under the car. As long as the gases pass and their system says pass, it's all that matters.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 AM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Got a 427 vert with ARH Long tubes and the NPP system. Fit is perfect; sound is incredible!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,957 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You say money is tight after getting the car, but you want to spend $1K+/-, and more for a tune, etc.?

Mycoupe is correct; it's all in the specs and quality control---any where and any company can make great products.

If you're looking for cheap, there have been years of people purchasing new headers on ebay that are stainless and from China, like OBX and others* for well under $1K. Some fit very well and some need a little massaging. Most don't make max HP or TQ, but will improve both numbers.

From what I've read on here for 10+ years, even the Big Three (ARH, K and LG) have needed some of that adjusting, too, and sometimes come very/too close to wires and burn them. At the least, some owners have had to (not wanted to, had to) insulate portions of their car that come close to the headers due to heat. After all, not every car has exactly the same clearances, exhaust to wires/starter/plugs, etc., and not every pipe produced is exactly the same.

* You may want to get some info on that and it's easy; do a search on CF going back as far as you can in both C6 Gen and Tech.

As to passing emissions in CA, I'd suggest you talk with people in your area first before buy, then have a "for sale on CL" because you can't find anyone nearby who'll pass the car. Remember: just because the stations/inspection has not opened your hood in the past, doesn't mean a loud/louder sounding machine won't catch their attention and press their buttons. "Past performance does not predict future..."
Old 03-10-2018, 01:01 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I cant comment or recommend any thing other than what I have, wouldn't be fair. What I do know is the fit, finish, quality, Stage 8 hardware, 02 extensions and all that was needed was supplied, didn't have to want for anything, it was all supplied with my Kooks, and they fit up in the under carriage with almost no hang down.
I understand price limits believe me, but in this case I felt that if I was going to do it I'd get what people say are one of the best, so far it has proven out to be true.
But you have to live within your means, that I understand
Good luck
NSF
Old 03-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I've never had them look under the hood or under the car. As long as the gases pass and their system says pass, it's all that matters.
I lived in Fremont and i would take my Mustang to this place that was owned by the Chinese and i had the smog pump plugged and etc,he would open the hood but just turn his head and pass me.All he wanted was the $$$.But a lot has changed.You should of got a letter from GM to take your car in to a GM dealer and they would change out your X pipe with '4' cats and also reflash your pcm.

Quick Reply: NPP Exhaust + LT Headers / Z06