C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep Scraping Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a 2009 base model and it was fine, never scraped. When it totaled out, I bought my 2011 GS and found out before leaving the dealership, that speed bumps would cause it to scrape. As I continued to drive it for the first few weeks, I found a lot of places that I could go with the 2009 model, that will scrape like all hell with the 2011 GS. The sound makes people turn there head and can be sort of embarrassing. Ive gotten used to it now after 2 years...just watch how close you get to a curb bumper when parking. I made the mistake of getting a little close the other day and had to take the screws loose on the front splitter and reposition it back....but still love my GS...
The following users liked this post:
Jaydubgt (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
OP, I have a 13 GS that I purchased new and it always scrapes going in and out of my driveway. The splitter scrapes when I reach the bottom of a dip in the road and sharp drops on the back roads at leading edge of bridges. No problem. It may sound bad but it is not an issue. I did replace my splitter at 30,000 miles because it looked like someone used a cheese grater on it. I put the new one on, sanded the rough bottom of the original and hug it up in the garage to wait until I scrap the new one up then I will swap it out again. I'm at 42,000 miles now and will probably swap them at 60,000 miles. Just drive it!!!
Where did you get new splitter? That's next on my list.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input, guys. It was getting embarrassing, but now that I know it's part of having a Corvette, I'm fine with it.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 PM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Thank you, I was just about to post the same thing, although in much less technical terms.
You're welcome. Sometimes I just gotta throw the BS flag on some of the experts here!
Corvette_Ed (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeQ
You're welcome. Sometimes I just gotta throw the BS flag on some of the experts here!
Almost like they think they know more than the engineers that designed the car. A Corvette is not an airplane as in the airplane you want lift, in a car you do not.
Corvette_Ed (03-11-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

The lower air deflectors are flexible for a reason. The center rubber section will configure on its own. The side winglets will also give quite a bit. Dragging or scraping is normal but somewhat irritating. There are aftermarket parts that you can get to replace any or all three pieces when needed. I would not remove the center section because it aids the cooling system with air flow up to the radiator.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:58 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
It doesn't really hurt anything. Think of it as self leveling.
Here's proof of that.

The following 2 users liked this post by EVRose:
Jaydubgt (03-12-2018), vettelover8306 (08-22-2021)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't worry about scraping the front spoiler. If I ever start scraping the rear spoiler however, that's when I'm gonna' start worrying.
NBVette_Canada (07-29-2020)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
I had a 2009 base model and it was fine, never scraped. When it totaled out, I bought my 2011 GS and found out before leaving the dealership, that speed bumps would cause it to scrape. As I continued to drive it for the first few weeks, I found a lot of places that I could go with the 2009 model, that will scrape like all hell with the 2011 GS. The sound makes people turn there head and can be sort of embarrassing. Ive gotten used to it now after 2 years...just watch how close you get to a curb bumper when parking. I made the mistake of getting a little close the other day and had to take the screws loose on the front splitter and reposition it back....but still love my GS...
Yup! I noticed this when I got my 08 Z06. Rarely scraped it on my 08 base model, but plenty of spots where it will scrape over speed bumps in the Z06. Doesn't bother me too much. Like you said, its only embarrassing when people hear it happening.

I can't even see the air damn with the ZR1 splitter installed so I don't really care how it looks.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Those pieces are just an alarm indicating a possible too steep incline or dip.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I did my first oil change in Jan and was slightly shocked to see all the scrapes underneath my splitter. Car is victory red, scrapes are yellow. Also noted the radiator support bracket surfaces are pretty rough too. I'm going to brush paint those, but leaving the splitter alone as the scrapes aren't visible except from underneath. The air dam is a little raggedy too, not planning to replace it unless it gets torn off. It scrapes when I back out my driveway even if I cut it sharp and inch it along. It shocked me the first time, because my 13 yr old 911 doesn't scrape no matter if I back down straight and quick. Now I just laugh and remind myself the Vette was built to sell for half as much and be just as much of a blast to drive, so no big deal.

Our E class MB won't clear a parking curb either, and that ticks me off because a) it's a diesel sedan not a race-bred sportscar, and b)my wife drives it thus the caveat to not pull up till the wheels touch the curb is sometimes forgotten.

Last edited by ben z; 03-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Air dam

[QUOTE=SnakeQ;1596761553]
Originally Posted by 05c6silververt
I don't think so. Lift is created by air rushing over the top surface of an object.[/QUOTE

Be careful, your ignorance is showing! Lift occurs when air passing over an airfoil travels faster over one surface of the foil faster than the opposing surface. The faster speed is normally the result of one of the surfaces being cambered (curved) higher than the other (can also be done with higher angle-of-attack (AoA) of airfoil when the airfoils surfaces are symmetrical as with high performance fighter aircraft wings). The higher cambered surface requires air to flow over that surface to flow faster than that of the opposing surface to maintain a smooth, non-stalling, flow. The corresponding faster air speed creates a lower static pressure situation over the higher cambered surface (Bernoulli's principle of fluid dynamics) and a corresponding coefficient of lift is produced in the direction of the more cambered surface. Best example for this discussion is the rear air foil (wing) on a race car; the bottom surface has a higher camber, thus creating lower pressure on the bottom surface and a corresponding downward force. In actuality, the term "lift" is a misnomer because the static pressure differential caused by the Bernoulli effect actually causes an airfoil to "sucked" in the direction of the higher camber/AoA., but since lift is the preferred term in most aerodynamic discussions, it suffices for our purposes. So all that being said, lift can be generated in any direction purely by changing the camber/AoA of the airfoil in use!!!!! Never pass up a chance to keep your mouth shut (or your fingers off the key baoard)!!!

while I'm nowhere being a engineer, I did follow your explanation &
agree with it 100% ( nicely done! ), as it seems to be the same reasoning I've heard over the years.

my only criticism, would be on your last comment.
these types of questions always, seem to result in a wise variety of answers. the more complicated, the more ranging in response.
some people may have been misinformed along the way.
take the opportunity when possible, to help inform those who are off the mark.
no one out their knows all of this stuff, but I'm pretty sure we have enough of a base, to head us in the right direction!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I also scrape everytime leaving driveway of a pretty flat driveway. I left it on as it’s a early indicator noise for me and my mind prepares me to ignore the ones I know I’ll hear and get scared if I wasn’t prepared. As far as it’s use can look at it from another angle. No accountant is going to approve that piece being paid for on every vehicle if it’s worthless. But since a couple people have verified removing it didn’t cause serious damage and monitoring temps is easy on a vette I think the decision is up to you on removal. Also just throwing it out there, corvettes are easy to lower. Hopefully your real issue isn’t that Car has been lowered and your hearing excessive scraping.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
I also scrape everytime leaving driveway of a pretty flat driveway. I left it on as it’s a early indicator noise for me and my mind prepares me to ignore the ones I know I’ll hear and get scared if I wasn’t prepared. As far as it’s use can look at it from another angle. No accountant is going to approve that piece being paid for on every vehicle if it’s worthless. But since a couple people have verified removing it didn’t cause serious damage and monitoring temps is easy on a vette I think the decision is up to you on removal. Also just throwing it out there, corvettes are easy to lower. Hopefully your real issue isn’t that Car has been lowered and your hearing excessive scraping.
Thanks for your reply.

My first thought was that the car was lowered. However, I had someone with a car that wasn't lowered measure the height to the wheel well top on their car and it matched mine.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

[QUOTE=cgladish;1596768742]
Originally Posted by SnakeQ

while I'm nowhere being a engineer, I did follow your explanation &
agree with it 100% ( nicely done! ), as it seems to be the same reasoning I've heard over the years.

my only criticism, would be on your last comment.
these types of questions always, seem to result in a wise variety of answers. the more complicated, the more ranging in response.
some people may have been misinformed along the way.
take the opportunity when possible, to help inform those who are off the mark.
no one out their knows all of this stuff, but I'm pretty sure we have enough of a base, to head us in the right direction!
That is the way the air flowing over the wing works on an airplane for lift (I Used To Fly)..but not on a vette.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 03-13-2018 at 01:40 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

OP, The GS splitter is GM Part # 19256909.
Jaydubgt (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default "spoiler"

[QUOTE=Cherokee Nation;1596773083]
Originally Posted by cgladish
That is the way the air flowing over the wing works on an airplane for lift (I Used To Fly)..but not on a vette.

am i correct in that we should be calling it an "air dam"?
as the purpose is to block the air from getting underneath the vehicle.
the effect is similar to a wing, but with airflow only over the top surface ( creating down force ).
I believe that purpose of the spoiler ( rear mounted ) is to break up the air flow. otherwise their is a low pressure area created on the rear of the vehicle ( creating drag ).

right? wrong?

Get notified of new replies

To Keep Scraping Spoiler

Old 03-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by cgladish

am i correct in that we should be calling it an "air dam"?

as the purpose is to block the air from getting underneath the vehicle.
"Air Dam" ... That's what I call it

Not to be confused with the "Front Chin Splitter", mounted to the very front / bottom of the bumper cover.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-13-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default splitter

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
"Air Dam" ... That's what I call it

Not to be confused with the "Front Chin Splitter", mounted to the very front / bottom of the bumper cover.

again, I'm no aeronautical engineer, just trying to work it out in my head. I'm guessing the splitter would have a dual purpose.
to break up ( "split" ) the airflow hitting the front of the vehicle.
( similar to bow design on large ocean freighters )
it may some effect on front down force, but as the ones I've seen tend to be parallel, not sure how well it would work.

I come here looking for education too, so anybody, please let me
( & the rest of us ), know if I've heading in the right direction.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
OP, The GS splitter is GM Part # 19256909.
Thanks for the part number!!

Yikes! $1,200???

Quick Reply: Keep Scraping Spoiler