C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Rear Brakes squeak when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Jetstream2008
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help...Rear Brakes squeak when cold

This just started.
My back brakes squeak when I have not driven the car in a while. When I drive it for a few minutes it goes a way. Then when it cools down again, after not driving it for 1/2 hour or so, they squeak again. Any ideas on the problem? Thanks in advance for everyone's input.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetstream2008
This just started.
My back brakes squeak when I have not driven the car in a while. When I drive it for a few minutes it goes a way. Then when it cools down again, after not driving it for 1/2 hour or so, they squeak again. Any ideas on the problem? Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

What rotors and pads, and how many miles on both?

Problem if oem, could be they are worn out, or if an older car with many,many washes, could need to just pull the pads, re-moly grease the back of pads contact points to the calipers surfaces and shims so there is no metal to metal dry contact points instead.

If aftermarket street pads, could be a build up debris on the pads or rotors causing the problem.

If race type pads, they are going to scream until they get close to there intended heat range instead.

Hence really need detail on the pads, and some photo's may help as well.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Jetstream2008
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Dano....Not sure of the type of pads. I was told by previous owner that the pads were changed about 7,000 miles ago for low dust pads. Car has Z51 option, with 19,000 miles on the OD.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Thanks Dano....Not sure of the type of pads. I was told by previous owner that the pads were changed about 7,000 miles ago for low dust pads. Car has Z51 option, with 19,000 miles on the OD.
Bank that the rotors where not scuffed clean to remove the old HD pad dust embedded in the rotors to start with, and pad backers/anti shims where not given a light coat of moly grease as well.

As for putting low dust cheap brake pads on a Z51 option car, find it sacrilegious since your losing initial bite, pedal feed back, and just over all braking performance that the HD pads provided: on a car that was upgraded with a better performance package over a base model to begin with.

Myself, since I chew through z51 HD pads in about 30K, would pull the calibers, pull the rotors to have them light faced turn to clean and square the front to back surface, get either Z51 HD pads or some other type of performance pad to not give up initial bite/feed back/ working temp range, and remembering to use Moly grease when putting the pads and shims back in the calipers.

Also, with the age of the car, would powder breed the brake lines to flush out all the old fluid, replace it with new fluid that is not humidity/water contaminated from the years as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-18-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Ceramic pads squeak when cold. It's part of the deal with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Help...Rear Brakes squeak when cold

Quick Reply: Help...Rear Brakes squeak when cold