C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:13 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,523 Likes on 790 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by windyC6
The power washing under the hood debate must go on...LOL. I use to do it on my beaters just so I would be able to see what I was working on...LOL. Never had a problem there either, but I was "barely" smart enough to know not to point it directly at any electrical connections. But even if it needed it I wouldn't power wash under the hood on my C-6 simply because it makes such a mess all over the place. Blows all the crap from in the bay and down under all over the rest of the car....yourself.....and anything else that might be within a 50 square yards......
The only time I do it is when an engine is real dirty overall. Gunk it; power wash it. On my Vette it has never gotten that dirty as I detail it regularly......
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 499 Posts

I used to volunteer at a shop where they would get 80 used engines in a day. We would pressure wash every single one back to looking nice and shiny.

WD40 to be more specific is a given because it is very easy to apply. To be used successfully in my opinion however one needs to fully wipe it evenly, otherwise the result will look obvious and spotty. When done properly its what caused the engine bays in my photos to shine the way do for the most part. As a protective lubrication, however, it serves well just doesn't last long.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 03-22-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
Sorry gang; I got called out! It is does not contain fish oil. I do know for sure the name stands for Water Displacer 40th formula, and it was designed for the military and is not technically a lubricant; it is to prevent moisture damage. I have not found anything better for under hood detailing. Yes Greased Lightning and the other degreasers are very good for initial cleaning, but to make things look new, you can't beat WD40. I have over 60 trophies in my trophy case to back it up! It would make a '78 look new under the hood. Armorall is OK; but tends to attract dust/dirt and doesn't hold up too well long term. Be careful with it on rubber/plastics as well. It used to be petroleum based and with that it would act as a solvent on those type of materials. A tire man once told me to never use it on tires, though I am sure today it is OK. The true test I was told was to test for petroleum, spray in some water and see what it does. Water based will mix in, petroleum based will bead. Before your next show, spray all the plastics, hoses, etc with WD40; Let it sit a bit and anywhere you have overspray or residue wipe it clean! I only learned this from a judge who had won and judged many a car show. Try it in dirty door jams. Doak them down and let it drip out; the only way I could ever clean there on my '78. I coated the wheel wells; makes them look factory fresh as well. I have never seen any ill effects using it for many years!
You were right: it does contain Fish Oil as the basic ingredient!..It was created in 1953 at the San Diego Rocket Chemical company for the Corvair Company that built the Atlas missiles it was used to protect their missile parts....I'm sure the military used it also....I always have a can because it is good for many things...
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Wd40 msds

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
You were right: it does contain Fish Oil as the basic ingredient!..It was created in 1953 at the San Diego Rocket Chemical company for the Corvair Company that built the Atlas missiles it was used to protect their missile parts....I'm sure the military used it also....I always have a can because it is good for many things...
3 - Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS # Weight Percent
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50
Petroleum Base Oil 64742-58-1
64742-53-6
64742-56-9
64742-65-0
<25
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18
Surfactant Proprietary <2
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture <10
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:50 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

WD-40 has many great uses around the ol homestead and autos. Unfortunately the thing that it seems to be most famous for is a lubricant, which it really isn't very good at. At least not one that last very long.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
No it does not contain fish oil .... that is a myth, read this article:

https://www.livescience.com/7818-wd-...cts-myths.html
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (03-27-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry gang; I got called out! It is does not contain fish oil. I do know for sure the name stands for Water Displacer 40th formula, and it was designed for the military and is not technically a lubricant; it is to prevent moisture damage. I have not found anything better for under hood detailing. Yes Greased Lightning and the other degreasers are very good for initial cleaning, but to make things look new, you can't beat WD40. I have over 60 trophies in my trophy case to back it up! It would make a '78 look new under the hood. Armorall is OK; but tends to attract dust/dirt and doesn't hold up too well long term. Be careful with it on rubber/plastics as well. It used to be petroleum based and with that it would act as a solvent on those type of materials. A tire man once told me to never use it on tires, though I am sure today it is OK. The true test I was told was to test for petroleum, spray in some water and see what it does. Water based will mix in, petroleum based will bead. Before your next show, spray all the plastics, hoses, etc with WD40; Let it sit a bit and anywhere you have overspray or residue wipe it clean! I only learned this from a judge who had won and judged many a car show. Try it in dirty door jams. Doak them down and let it drip out; the only way I could ever clean there on my '78. I coated the wheel wells; makes them look factory fresh as well. I have never seen any ill effects using it for many years!
solvent and mineral oil(ie baby oil without the frangrance)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:02 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Welker1
No it does not contain fish oil .... that is a myth, read this article:

https://www.livescience.com/7818-wd-...cts-myths.html
The docoment that i have which I've had for many years said Fish Oil, either that is a myth are they made a change,anyway it is great ****....Maybe the change was bacause it stunk like fish..Lol
Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

WD 40 = kerosene + perfume = water displacement formula #40
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Absolutely not true. WD40 never gets sticky when dry; clean to the touch in an hour or so. I leave my hood up at every show and nothing ever clings to spots sprayed with WD40. In fact it seems to keep the dust to a min. The hoses and plastic look clean/new for quite some time, normally only have to do it every few weeks. As I said earlier this comes from detailers, judges and car show winners......and it works. I have turned many on to this simple trick; unbelievers at first, but once they do it are hooked! I didn't believe either.
Years ago when i would clean my engine i would start it up and let it dry,then use a small can of WD-40 and spray the complete engine bay and it was NOT sticky when dry and it is not to this day....
Old 03-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

FWIW: WD40 works great on "pots" (potentiometers) such as volume, tone, etc. controls on old guitar amps, radios, etc. when they get dirty and and sound scratchy.

Spray it in around the stem, rotate it from limit to limit numerous times, and it will be like new.

Attachment 48333511
Old 03-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This seems counter-productive to me as when WD40 dries it becomes sticky and attracts dirt, dust, and anything else it comes in contact with.
I think so as well...

Originally Posted by Dman302
Gunk engine cleaner ....light hose off. After dry I spray down the engine with gunk engine dress spray. Once the dress is dry I go over everything with a micro towel. After that everything has a nice matte shine, factory look
I use the Gunk engine cleaner/brightener also. Let the foam sit for 5 minutes to eat up the dirty/grease/gunk/etc. Then cover the electrical parts and lightly wash off with light spray. Those products are made for engine bay cleaning, what's wrong with using them?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 499 Posts

I use free publix bags to cover a couple electronics I am worried might get water trapped inside their connectors, such as the MAF and TPS. Often these devices will still work with a little water in their plugs but the higher pressure from spraying into the bay (as opposed to rain) causes more water than usual to collect in them, in since they are 'weather tight' sort of, the water can stay in the plugs for a looong time and rust them up
Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 PM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

https://www.wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Right from the horses mouth... so to speak
Old 03-27-2018, 12:55 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I just blow mine off with air hose, clean with a damp detail brush and damp microfiber towel. Do this once a week when being driven in summer.
Mines never been in the rain and very dirty.

I would never use a power washer or even wash with a hose. Like Bobby said too many electrical gremlins.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: engine cleaning