C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a good car lift for the corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 PM
k_stewart_21
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a good car lift for the corvette?

I am currently building a shop and have been shopping for a 2 post lift to put in it. My C6 is low with side skirts. So i have a few questions and if you guys can help out that would be awesome.

Is there a brand that specializes in lowered cars?

What kinds of lifts do you guys have?

Any lifts to stay away from?

Budget is about $2500 but that can go up if needed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by k_stewart_21; 03-24-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I got a 4 post lift myself, I prefer the 4 post because it doesn't have to be anchored down so I can move around if need be.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:14 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by madsonp
I got a 4 post lift myself, I prefer the 4 post because it doesn't have to be anchored down so I can move around if need be.
for all the mentioned reasons. I also equipped a 4-post lift with two bridge jacks, allowing me to have some of the 2-post features on a 4-post unit. I mostly use the bridge jacks to raise the wheels off of the ramps so the wheels can be removed for all the various reasons. You can also do that with a set of four jack stands by just lowering the vehicle sitting on the 4-post onto the carefully placed jack stands. However the bridge jacks allow you to raise the 4-post to any convenient height with the wheels still lifted off the ramp, using either the jacking pucks in the frame rails, or by the various other lifting points on the car if the skirts etc are in the way. Another advantage I can see with the 4-post is it is less effort to just raise the car - drive on, set brake, get out, raise the lift. One disadvantage of the 4-post is it takes up slightly more floor space.

The only area where I see a 2-post being better for what I do is for dropping the transaxle with the torque tube, or perhaps dropping the engine from the bottom. I don't see my self doing that anytime soon so the 4-post made more sense in my shop.

Congrats to the OP on the new shop.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I had the four posts, and they work great in some ways. They don't need to be anchored, you can move them, and you can actually do a lot of work, given their bulk. I used to even jack up the car on the ramps, in the air, do brakes, etc.

THAT SAID....I've now moved on to something new.

You don't have to watch the video here, but skip along and you'll get the picture...this lift is the new "where it's at". Need a slight bit of wood or creative solution if your Corvette is lowered but as you can see, this guy has a GT3 on it. High lift height, mega compact and doesn't obstruct any of the car essentially....you have engine, exhaust/torque tube and rear diff/transmission access. Door can swing opened fully (unlike 2 post unless asymetrical) and you don't need 6" thick concrete like a 2post.

I just picked up a floor model from Greg Smith Equip for 2700...wooooot.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 03-24-2018 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DrRaySomeDay (05-17-2020)
Old 03-25-2018, 05:31 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by k_stewart_21
I am currently building a shop and have been shopping for a 2 post lift to put in it. My C6 is low with side skirts. So i have a few questions and if you guys can help out that would be awesome.

Is there a brand that specializes in lowered cars?

What kinds of lifts do you guys have?

Any lifts to stay away from?

Budget is about $2500 but that can go up if needed. Thanks in advance.

Recessed in the floor! BendPak

Last edited by hotrod03; 03-25-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I had the four posts, and they work great in some ways. They don't need to be anchored, you can move them, and you can actually do a lot of work, given their bulk. I used to even jack up the car on the ramps, in the air, do brakes, etc.

THAT SAID....I've now moved on to something new.

You don't have to watch the video here, but skip along and you'll get the picture...this lift is the new "where it's at". Need a slight bit of wood or creative solution if your Corvette is lowered but as you can see, this guy has a GT3 on it. High lift height, mega compact and doesn't obstruct any of the car essentially....you have engine, exhaust/torque tube and rear diff/transmission access. Door can swing opened fully (unlike 2 post unless asymetrical) and you don't need 6" thick concrete like a 2post.

I just picked up a floor model from Greg Smith Equip for 2700...wooooot.

That is way too slick. Haven't seen this one before. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:42 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Food for thought:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/As...Two-Post-Lifts

Also (clear floor) lifts tend to need 12ft height on lift poles !
Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Another vote for the four post, I like the scissor jack,BUT most of us park a car under the lift. I love my Eagle.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 AM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

you need to decide what you want the lift for.
if you want one to just work on the car and you have enough room to permanently mount it,you can't beat a two post.
if you want a lift that you can move,work on the car occasionally,and be able to stack cars for parking then a 4 post would be what you want
if you can't permanently mount it and you don't need it for parking ,then a scissor lift would be a good choice for working on the car.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I bought mine from a man in Ft. Worth. Can't remember the name of it. About $2500 installed, 9000 lb. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy a Bend Pak. A little more expensive, but I think worth it. Mine works great, its just the arms wont stay in synch when going up. The Bend Pak was $3400.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 03-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:19 PM
k_stewart_21
Advanced

Ya know I thought a 2 post would always be best for me. You guys got me liking the 4 post now though with the simplicity of just driving up on it. The tray jack would binifit as well. I’ve pulled the motor from my car out the top before in a 8ft ceiling garage, and let me tell you it ain’t fun. So when I have to do that again I want it to be the easiest way possible. That first scissor lift would be awesome. But rigging up something every time so it wouldn’t damage the side skirts would be a pain. The Mohawk lifts look bad *** but take a bite out of the wallet. Thank you all for the feedback.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:44 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

The only thing I would consider if I didn't need an extra parking spot offered by a 4 post, is a full rise scissor lift that has been flush mounted with the concrete slab.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Money right there^

I just got that lift myself, but I got a surface mount instead. SOO lookin forward to it.

I can see getting another four post for parking reasons but, the double scissor is hard to beat...no obstructions, opened center, front and back, plus doors and exterior...it's the best.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:30 PM
k_stewart_21
Advanced

After going back and fourth, I think I’m set on the bendpak xpr-10ls-lp. 2 post lift. I feel like it will be the best if I engine swap or tranny swap.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
for all the mentioned reasons. I also equipped a 4-post lift with two bridge jacks, allowing me to have some of the 2-post features on a 4-post unit. I mostly use the bridge jacks to raise the wheels off of the ramps so the wheels can be removed for all the various reasons. You can also do that with a set of four jack stands by just lowering the vehicle sitting on the 4-post onto the carefully placed jack stands. However the bridge jacks allow you to raise the 4-post to any convenient height with the wheels still lifted off the ramp, using either the jacking pucks in the frame rails, or by the various other lifting points on the car if the skirts etc are in the way. Another advantage I can see with the 4-post is it is less effort to just raise the car - drive on, set brake, get out, raise the lift. One disadvantage of the 4-post is it takes up slightly more floor space.

The only area where I see a 2-post being better for what I do is for dropping the transaxle with the torque tube, or perhaps dropping the engine from the bottom. I don't see my self doing that anytime soon so the 4-post made more sense in my shop.

Congrats to the OP on the new shop.

What ramps do you use to get onto your 4 posts?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 PM
ExxWhy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Bendpak HD-9 and am very happy with it for my uses. I lift 3/4 ton trucks, large SUV's, regular cars, and now my vette. Standard ramps scrape the air dam very slightly on the way up and it clears the air powered scissor jacks. I like being able to drive right on and not worry about balance or crawling on the floor to set the pads. Works for my uses.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:00 PM
sneal46
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.naautoequipment.com/U8FP...ift-p/u8fp.htm

I just ordered this lift and extended jack accessory. Just under $3000 for the lift and jack plus shipping costs. A fellow corvette owner in Naples, FL owns one of these and has had no problems with it during his 7 years of use. I will report back on my experience with delivery, installation, and use in about three weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To What's a good car lift for the corvette?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 PM
k_stewart_21
Advanced

I ended up going with BendPak. I think it’s perfect for what I wanna do.

Last edited by k_stewart_21; 06-29-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I have a 4 post lift. Bought it about 15 years ago.
Used it for me fleet of cars. Beats laying on your back.
I also have a low ceiling only 9 feet.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 AM
JimParsons
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might help in working out heights + the Bendpak's have low profile arms/options so should be good for most cars.

Source = Pickup World

As you can see, with the new Benpak models, you can get away with less than 9" but you will still need decent concrete to secure the lift so depending on what you want to work on, size wise, this should give you some decent options when looking for your house. I know it says coming soon but you can buy them direct now, on the Bendpak website the image is a little old.

Might not be a lot of room underneath, but you can always use a chair, which is what I personally do. Worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: What's a good car lift for the corvette?