C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed some sound deadening/insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,898 Likes on 4,285 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default Installed some sound deadening/insulation

$63 on Amazon for 36 sq ft of 80 mil butyl/foil sound deadening material. Had couple hundred very positive reviews on Amazon so what the heck. My seats are already out of the car so removing all the carpet took about 20-30 min with my helpers (kids). Install of the material took about 3 hours total (little bit less with both my son & I putting it down. 36 sq ft covered the floor of the hatch area, behind the seats, the tunnel, and about 3/4 of each passenger floor area. I ordered another 18 sq ft ($36) and will cover the wheel wells, rear of the trunk, remaining passenger floor area & maybe inside the doors if I have any left over. Havent driven the car because the seats are still out, but for $99 total and a few hours of my time it should be worth it. Will post results (sound/heat) when I can drive the car again.
Btw - I love how easy it is to take this car apart & put back together.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:29 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nice job.
I did mine in 08. Really cuts down on the heat from the headers, and helps with road noise. One of my favorite mods.
I doubled up over the rear wheel wells.

FYI metal tape for AC ducts works great on the seams.

Last edited by wayback; 04-02-2018 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:34 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

I guess I don't notice the road noise that most people post about - probably because my daily driver is a '16 Wrangler Unlimited with BFG Mud Terrains? I am hoping this helps with the heat in the cabin and also the drone from the BB Bullet exhaust - and I'll be adding longtubes in 2 weeks.

Last edited by JABCAT; 04-02-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I guess I don't notice the road noise that most people post about - probably because my daily driver is a '16 Wrangler Unlimited with BFG Mud Terrains? I am hoping this helps with the heat in the cabin and also the drone from the BB Bullet exhaust - and I'll be adding longtubes in 2 weeks.
Weird... my DD is also a wrangler and I prefer top off (wrangler and vette) and radio loud or off. I want to hear as much engine noise as I can. No mild2wild switch for me, just pulled the fuse for wild all the time
The following users liked this post:
airmed2 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
Weird... my DD is also a wrangler and I prefer top off (wrangler and vette) and radio loud or off. I want to hear as much engine noise as I can. No mild2wild switch for me, just pulled the fuse for wild all the time
I agree - the BB Bullets sound great, but there is just one spot in the rpm range that the drone literally gives me a migraine. It's not that it is too loud it's just the sound frequency that hits a nerve with me, so hopefully this will help with that. I loved my LS1 cars with longtubes & Borla cat-backs wide open & as I've told my kids I want my GS to sound even meaner than it currently does
Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I agree - the BB Bullets sound great, but there is just one spot in the rpm range that the drone literally gives me a migraine. It's not that it is too loud it's just the sound frequency that hits a nerve with me, so hopefully this will help with that. I loved my LS1 cars with longtubes & Borla cat-backs wide open & as I've told my kids I want my GS to sound even meaner than it currently does
I think i might know what you mean... i've taken one long road trip and 6th gear, about 80ish..... big drone, made me wanna speed up or slow down (but mostly just speed up).

Get notified of new replies

To Installed some sound deadening/insulation

Quick Reply: Installed some sound deadening/insulation