C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my car on sale at the dealer already

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:09 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Found my car on sale at the dealer already

I found my car on sale at the dealer at which I bought the VW. They are offering it at $16,995 which, as you can assume, is not what they gave me for it.

They don't have pictures of the actual car yet but they do refer to it as "Super Clean" and "Diamond".

https://www.cardinalewayvw.com/vehic...ca-id-23442927

Note they have no clue it also has a cat-back Magnaflow exhaust, Stoptech slotted rotors and Hawk pads, professionally powder-coated calipers all around, the GM PAL with Ray Kawal's patch cables, the CAGS fuse fix, the steering wheel lock fix module, a brand new nav DVD, Weather Tech mats and cargo liner (if they did not take them out yet) as well as a carry bag for the top, the vinyl drop cloth for the hatch (the one you lay over the back to protect the opening - again if they did not take them out) and an expertly installed MGW shifter with MGW Gripper ball shift ****.

Not sure what they've done to it so hopefully they post some pictures of the actual car soon.

Better pounce on it so you can fix that steering wheel position sensor issue! It also has a slight windshield chip I never got to fixing because it was not in my line of site and I knew as soon as I fixed it it would happen again. Also the wheels are nice but the person who owned it before me did not know how to park and roughed them up pretty well. I never got them fixed as I figured same as the windshield. Also I never was able to fix the door speakers cutting out of bass though I narrowed it down to a bad connection in the door (the bass came back on as I pressed against the door handle!) And it's a daily driver and has some chips here and there. Oh, and the front logo is faded but I have a replacement I never got to install.

It's not a bad little car. All it needs is just a little love.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:42 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Kevin,
Dealers do not advertise mods. Mods limit the market appeal. You may have loved the mods, but most people looking for a used Corvette will shy away from something that is modded, or a bit far from stock. The exhaust is a good example. Many, and possibly most, Corvette owners do not want a loud exhaust. The dealer would prefer someone just look at it and like it, rather than read about a modified exhaust, and decide not to look at the car.
The following users liked this post:
06slvr (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 AM
zeps7784
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just traded my C6 in and had Ridetech shocks, eagle eyes and corsa exhaust and told them none of that was coming with it unless they paid for it. Most dealers like mentioned, don't want them. Less appeal to the masses and stock sells better.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

And most folks will not pay extra for mods, in fact as noted above it drives more buyers away and actually devalues the car in most cases. I also found it humorous that they are charging "well above" what they gave you. That is why they are in the car business. No matter what a dealer tells you on any trade-in they are basically going to give you wholesale or less. They will make you think in some cases you are getting more for your trade, but they simply slide the scale on the purchase price or financing. If you wanted more for it, you should have sold it outright, though I understand at times that can be inconvenient. The dealer is there to make a profit on every car they turn, on the new one your bought, and the old one they are selling. That is not a problem, and that is what drives industry.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

They need to pay those hungry salespeople, and keep the lights on .
Old 04-04-2018, 09:31 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Linky no workie, I think the car is sold.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

The dealership I traded mine in at sold my old one for LESS than they gave me for it. Sold it in 3 days. But before they sold it, they took off the B&B exhaust and headers I put on it. Plus they removed or wiped off the autographed fuel rail covers, and took off the chrome in the motor. It had a painted hoodliner as well, but they left it there I think.

Last edited by USA1 427; 04-04-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I traded this beauty in last year. They gave me $19,095. Within 3 business days it sold. They had it listed online for $24,995. I understand though. Business is business. I was okay with the trade.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Kevin,
Dealers do not advertise mods. Mods limit the market appeal. You may have loved the mods, but most people looking for a used Corvette will shy away from something that is modded, or a bit far from stock. The exhaust is a good example. Many, and possibly most, Corvette owners do not want a loud exhaust. The dealer would prefer someone just look at it and like it, rather than read about a modified exhaust, and decide not to look at the car.
Agreed. Learned this the hard way a while back... the changes you make to your car almost always drop the value because each modification narrows the potential buyer pool to a smaller number which means its more difficult to sell which mean..... you get less money b/c they have to offer your vehicle for less than the same vehicle with stock equipment.

Sucks, but that's the game.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
I traded this beauty in last year. They gave me $19,095. Within 3 business days it sold. They had it listed online for $24,995. I understand though. Business is business. I was okay with the trade.
In the spirit of one-upsmanship ..... I traded in a 2010 Genesis Coupe track edition in 2016 with 17k miles in 10/10 condition. Got home later that day and realized I left all 6 discs in the changer. Went back and the car was "gone". I said "wha...? i was just here 5 hours ago!" One of the detail techs bought the car (handshake deal with the sales manager) and removed it from the lot. I asked, they checked, CDs couldn't be located (read: they didn't want to dig through the garbage).

When you take good care of your car, people notice and they don't last long.

Last edited by Dr Bee; 04-04-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
In the spirit of one-upsmanship ..... I traded in a 2010 Genesis Coupe track edition in 2016 with 17k miles in 10/10 condition. Got home later that day and realized I left all 6 discs in the changer. Went back and the car was "gone". I said "wha...? i was just here 5 hours ago!" One of the detail techs bought the car (handshake deal with the sales manager) and removed it from the lot. I asked, they checked, CDs couldn't be located (read: they didn't want to dig through the garbage).

***When you take good care of your car, people notice and they don't last long.

You’re absolutely right!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

LOL, nothing new here, and it's a good lesson for those who think $XXX mods will increase the resale value. It's never been like that for any car, truck, motorcycle, etc.

A non-stock vehicle reduces the pool of prospective buyers, and therefore puts downward pressure on its price. A heavily-modded car might bring an insulting offer from a dealer, because they don't even really want it.

And, businesses are not social programs. They have to make money, so of course they have to sell a trade for more than they allowed for it.

In any business, if income is less than expenses and stays that way, at some point they will go bankrupt. It's simple math.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Kevin,
Dealers do not advertise mods.
Yeah, I know that. Just pointing that out by saying "Note they have no clue it also has...." Not complaining about it, just sayin'.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by gliot1
I also found it humorous that they are charging "well above" what they gave you. That is why they are in the car business.
AGAIN, I know that. Just pointing it out. I simply said "....which, as you can assume, is not what they gave me for it." You make it sound like I was whining about it when I was merely stating what happened.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:55 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Linky no workie, I think the car is sold.
It might be. The listing is still on Car Gurus though it does not show up on the dealer's site anymore. Perhaps they're fixing that steering wheel position sensor?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 PM
redback
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always been a "stock" guy. I don't really like to make many changes especially cosmetic ones.
In '89 I bought an '87 Grand National with 50K KMs on it. Living in Canada, I only drove the car for 5 summers, and put on 100k KMs on it. Yes, I put good mileage on the car every summer. I bought the car for $15,200.00, and sold it in '94 for $15,000.00. The car was almost in showroom condition when I sold it.
Shoulda kept, but....
Peter
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruze
LOL, nothing new here, and it's a good lesson for those who think $XXX mods will increase the resale value. It's never been like that for any car, truck, motorcycle, etc.

A non-stock vehicle reduces the pool of prospective buyers, and therefore puts downward pressure on its price. A heavily-modded car might bring an insulting offer from a dealer, because they don't even really want it.

And, businesses are not social programs. They have to make money, so of course they have to sell a trade for more than they allowed for it.

In any business, if income is less than expenses and stays that way, at some point they will go bankrupt. It's simple math.
UUUGGGHHH! I never said anything like this in my post. You're totally reading into what I said and that was merely pointing out they listed it for $X and didn't know what it had on it. Besides, none of the mods I did were visible - shifter, exhaust, GM-PAL....

If I had said "I put a $12,000 doohickey on it and they didn't pay me for it and I'm angry" then yeah, maybe I'd be a crybaby but I never said that in my post so I don't know why you're replying as if I did.

Get notified of new replies

To Found my car on sale at the dealer already

Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 AM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Yeah, I know that. Just pointing that out by saying "Note they have no clue it also has...." Not complaining about it, just sayin'.
You are assuming they didn’t have a clue about the mods.....many of the other posters on here are telling you they very well may have noticed them and CHOSE not to advertise the mods for fear of people not coming to look at the car.

For example when I was looking for my corvette one was advertised with some after market exhausts that the owner called “appropriately loud” for a performance car. When I researched them I decided I wouldn’t be interested in the car even though I liked everything else I could see about it. So that was a no sale for me based on one line in the details of the ad.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 AM
zeps7784
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The 2006 LT3 convertible I just traded in with 39k miles is listed on the dealers site but it’s still in my garage.

I hadnt given it to the yet because I had the CD player and Corsa pulled off, along with the ridetech shocks.
Turning it over tomorrow.

I bought it for $22.5 last year and they gave me $24.5. They hadn’t listed a price yet but i bet it’ll be around $27-$28.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Kevin,
I agree, I bought a 08Z last year from dealership. Ad did not mention even the obvious aftermarket parts, not even a single picture. Since Z06 was out of state I had salesman send me close-up shots of engine bay and exhaust and I noticed all the goodies. And yes, I bought it!

Quick Reply: Found my car on sale at the dealer already