C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming from New Zealand for Carlisle2018

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:05 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Coming from New Zealand for Carlisle2018

My wife and I are coming to Carlilse for the first time from New Zealand. Making our travel plans now, will be starting in New York and hiring a car. doing a loop by going to Atlantic city, then on to Boston over to Niagara falls, down to Carlisle then on to Philadelphia before flying out from Newark. will be there for three weeks. If anyone has suggestions of things to do would be most grateful.
The following users liked this post:
Apollo29 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Birddog51
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Hope to meet you at Carlisle. Will be at the Eastern Shore Vettes tent. Hop you all have a safe and wonderful trip!
corvettecolin (04-16-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 PM
310slowstang
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettecolin
My wife and I are coming to Carlilse for the first time from New Zealand. Making our travel plans now, will be starting in New York and hiring a car. doing a loop by going to Atlantic city, then on to Boston over to Niagara falls, down to Carlisle then on to Philadelphia before flying out from Newark. will be there for three weeks. If anyone has suggestions of things to do would be most grateful.
If you like racing check out the schedule for Lime Rock Park in Connecticut or Watkins Glen in New York, awesome track, wine country also. Steamtown USA in Scranton PA for old steam powered locomotives with rides available. Take time to get off the highways when possible and you will find a lot of interesting things, most highways have a two lane road that follows a similar path. GPS will almost always put you on a highway so a map can be very helpful.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Originally Posted by 310slowstang
If you like racing check out the schedule for Lime Rock Park in Connecticut or Watkins Glen in New York, awesome track, wine country also. Steamtown USA in Scranton PA for old steam powered locomotives with rides available. Take time to get off the highways when possible and you will find a lot of interesting things, most highways have a two lane road that follows a similar path. GPS will almost always put you on a highway so a map can be very helpful.
I'm using mapquest and avoiding toll roads, which seem to be everywhere. Printing all the steps between stops, I always like to take minor roads when possible. I will try searching for any race dates at those tracks, it's just a case of knowing what tracks are near the route we are taking.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Trip

Good luck on the trip. You will have a great time in Carlisle . Depending on weather it can be very hot and dusty at times. Make sure you pack for this.

It certainly sounds like you have a great trip planned. Just make sure that while in Atlantic City that don't empty your pockets on the slots.

Regards,
Jim
corvettecolin (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 75 Posts

Hope you enjoy your trip. Sounds like a blast.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:24 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

If you are doing touristy stuff in NYC like Statue/Ellis Island, Broadway show or Freedom Tower, get tickets now. Have fun.....hope the snow has cleared by then!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds like it will be a fun trip. I would skip Atlantic City as it is not very nice. There are other places you could substitute that would be much nicer. Carlisle should be fun and it is usually pretty hot and humid at the end of August.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 310slowstang
Good tips , a little off your path but worth it is the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich ,NY very impressive collection!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely book a hotel room now, if it's not too late, to find a room in the immediate Carlisle area. Naturally the closer the hotel, the sooner it fills up. You'll probably take the award for coming from the furthest. Enjoy the show!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raffman55
Good tips , a little off your path but worth it is the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich ,NY very impressive collection!
Google is my friend, will look for this, I found a car museum near Hershey so will have a look after Carlisle. Have found a Corvette club holding a Wednesday get together in New Haven the same night we will be there so will gate crash that.
Thanks.

Last edited by corvettecolin; 04-05-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:37 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Linecapt
Definitely book a hotel room now, if it's not too late, to find a room in the immediate Carlisle area. Naturally the closer the hotel, the sooner it fills up. You'll probably take the award for coming from the furthest. Enjoy the show!
Have already booked and paid for, not too up market as I noticed prices rise quickly near these dates. Staying at Americas best value Inn?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Have already booked and paid for, not too up market as I noticed prices rise quickly near these dates. Staying at Americas best value Inn?
I just got back from New Zealand a few weeks ago and saw no vettes, but heard they were there. I did see some mustangs, a new dodge challenger, and some Ford and Chevy (Holden) trucks. We had a great time there.

You will really enjoy Carlisle- 4,000 to 5,000 vettes in one place. In addition to possible heat, there could also be heavy rain. A light rain jacket or poncho could come in handy.

The museum in Hershey is pretty nice. I have been there once. If the wind is blowing right you will smell chocolate. The Hershey’s Chocolate plant is close by. It is less than an hour’s drive from Carlisle as far as I recall.

I will be there, as will at least a few members of my Corvette Club. A lot of clubs will have a presence there.
corvettecolin (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:53 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

As others have said, skip Atlantic City. Lots of museums and attractions in Boston. When going from Boston to Niagara Falls you could stop at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts for sightseeing, a good meal and/or overnight. From Niagara Falls you could go to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon near Wellsboro. Near Carlisle, Hershey has the gardens and the chocolate factory. Lancaster has Amish heritage. Philadelphia has lots of historical things to see.
corvettecolin (04-06-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 06:08 PM
nomocrap
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On your way thru Pennsylvania visit State Co;;age Pa an d go to Penn Cave it has a neat boat ride inside a big cave. Look it up on the internet It's is worth the effert JAY
Old 04-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm using mapquest and avoiding toll roads, which seem to be everywhere. Printing all the steps between stops, I always like to take minor roads when possible. I will try searching for any race dates at those tracks, it's just a case of knowing what tracks are near the route we are taking.
once into the midwestern states toll roads are scarce so you will need to use another filter
Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Most importantly, the people here are driving on the wrong side of the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Coming from New Zealand for Carlisle2018

Old 04-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Say OP, I have a question and that is the reason for the above post. You said you had a car lined up. Was there any questions about you coming from a left hand drive country? The reason I ask is, years ago I worked for a company here in the USA that sent engineers to Australia. I asked them about driving there and they said it wasn't recommended and they just had the locals drive. After being programmed as I've been for the last 53 years of driving I'm afraid it would be way to easy to make a deadly mistake.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:52 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Google is my friend, will look for this, I found a car museum near Hershey so will have a look after Carlisle. Have found a Corvette club holding a Wednesday get together in New Haven the same night we will be there so will gate crash that.
Thanks.
The Hershey AACA Museum is a MUST if you're a car guy. Excellent museum. https://www.aacamuseum.org/
Gettysburg battlefield is not far either. Very historic town and lots to see and do (Civil War).
corvettecolin (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:55 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike44665
Say OP, I have a question and that is the reason for the above post. You said you had a car lined up. Was there any questions about you coming from a left hand drive country? The reason I ask is, years ago I worked for a company here in the USA that sent engineers to Australia. I asked them about driving there and they said it wasn't recommended and they just had the locals drive. After being programmed as I've been for the last 53 years of driving I'm afraid it would be way to easy to make a deadly mistake.
We do have a fair share of accidents caused by people from left hand drive countries, I know the first time I drove in the States it was very scary for the first day. But I drive a left hand drive vehicle here on the left side so the transition wasn't so bad. This is our 4th trip to the States and the first hour or so is a bit scary but get used to it. As long as the GPS is working I'm OK, we don't have any roads here like the spaghetti roads you have.
Mike44665 (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Coming from New Zealand for Carlisle2018