C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 shift woes

Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 PM
BIGPAPPAPUMP
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 shift woes

My 2006 with 50,000 miles is not shifting real well at all. i have changed the clutch fluid to little or no avail. i think it may be syncro issues, but want to exhaust all other possibilities first. My deep inspection of the car tells me that the original owner did not take great care of her. it does not matter if she is warm or cold, shifting is a chore, and getting into reverse is next to impossible with out "playing through the gears". I have read about the rubber busing under the shift box and also the three torque bolts into the torque tube on the shifter mounts. But I would say the shifter is not loose or sloppy, it just doesnt shift smoothly. ideas???
Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Before I'd blame syncros, I'd blame hydraulics. All syncros going at the same time in the exact same way is kinda rare.

If there is no loss of fluid, I'd suspect master failure, then clutch failure.

An easy test is to jack up the back so the wheels are in the air and put it in first and depress the clutch. The wheels should not move. If they start moving, it is a sign that the clutch is not fully disengaging which usually point to a master cylinder seal failing you.

A modified version of this test would be to be on a level surface, put it in first but keep the clutch pressed in. Rev the car to 4k and see if you start moving forward. You should be able to rev to redline without the car budging an inch with the clutch pressed in.

Last edited by SladeX; 04-04-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 shift woes