C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with aftermarket radio and canbus

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 AM
Kimball
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help with aftermarket radio and canbus

Well as much as I wanted to keep it factory, the head unit is beyond awful.

Then I found a pumpkin android unit for sale on ebay in Germany with all the connectors and adaptors for £200 so easy choice.

However, as ever, I have a couple of questions.

On the back of my original nav unit were 4 connectors from left to right, unknown, speakers, control and power, GPS.

I ignored the GPS, the next two had obvious locations in the pac adapter, but where should the 4 pin, with a red and black wire go? It all works without it but would like to know what it does?

Then secondly, I expected the canbus functions to work, ie on screen climate display, doors open, etc. But I get nothing, In the HU extra settings there is a choose model option and various dedicated Canbus offerings but nothing for GM, I tried universal and opel but neither worked, any ideas? Have I missed a cable or does the HU need a firmware upgrade to get GM?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I can tell you the connector at far left with 2 wires is for the voice activation microphone.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Kimball
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
I can tell you the connector at far left with 2 wires is for the voice activation microphone.
Oh excellent, thanks, that's the one mounted in the left hand a pillar? I can reuse that then.

And to be absolutely clear, the one on the far left as you look at the back of the unit?

Last edited by Kimball; 04-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kimball
Oh excellent, thanks, that's the one mounted in the left hand a pillar? I can reuse that then.

And to be absolutely clear, the one on the far left as you look at the back of the unit?
Yes and yes.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:32 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Iam not sure but believe if you use the factory mic and wire it to the aftermarket stereo Siri will not work.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:36 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by G8Pumpkin
Iam not sure but believe if you use the factory mic and wire it to the aftermarket stereo Siri will not work.
You may be right. It is not a direct connection from the microphone to the back of the HU. It goes thru the VCIM (vehicle communication interface module).
Old 04-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Kimball
Instructor

Originally Posted by G8Pumpkin
Originally Posted by EVRose
You may be right. It is not a direct connection from the microphone to the back of the HU. It goes thru the VCIM (vehicle communication interface module).
Don't really understand the siri link, but I was hoping it was a straight link to the mic, looks like I need to run my own mic up there then, at least I can use the placing. Thanks

Could really do with some pointers on the canbus stuff now, not that it matters, I just want it to work.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with aftermarket radio and canbus

Quick Reply: Help with aftermarket radio and canbus