C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying car with a lien

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
has anybody bought a car that had a lien on it where the lien had to be paid off then it took a few days for the bank to release a clean title? Looking at a car like this. Bank is Wells Fargo. How is this done?
thanks.
Ask your bank about setting up an escrow which will protect you from any fraud on the seller's part.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 AM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default car with a lien in another state

Originally Posted by slowstang305
This only worked out because he was financing at a Credit Union. Banks on the other hand are a pain in the ***. They can take up to 3 weeks to release a title. Went through this a few times already unfortunately.

Be careful with credit unions as well. Some of them keep the title in their "main office branch" and can also take a few weeks to release.
This is true, especially in Ohio, pain in the Azz!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Best advice is know your seller. One check to both seller and lien holder or two checks is fine. Just know once lien is paid Wells Fargo gives not a **** one about you getting your title. So prepare for delay. Basics such as copy of sellers drivers license and name should match the title. Wire transfer best for expediting title.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Wow it sounds like there are a lot of different experiences on this. I bought a car in New Hampshire 2 years ago and the seller had a credit union lien against it. It wasn't too complicated.
1. We agreed on a price.
2. The Credit Union had to apply to the DMV to get a clear copy of the title
3. After they received it, I flew up and brought a cashier's check and we met at the Credit Union.
4. They processed the payment and he signed the title and I drove my new car home.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Reckedhim
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

When I bought my car, I had my credit union send me a check for the price we agreed upon, which was also the amount left on the seller's loan. The check was in the seller's name. We went to his bank and they confirmed the amount left on the loan. The seller deposited the check and his bank said it would take 10 business days for my check to clear. My credit union wouldn't do a wire transfer and his bank wouldn't call mine to verify the funds, so there was no way getting around the 10 day wait. We wrote up a bill of sale and signed it in front of the bank clerk. She also signed the document to verify she had witnessed us signing it. We provided each other with copies of our driver's licenses. He gave me the keys and I took the car home where it sat in my garage until it could be registered.

When my check cleared with his bank, he got the title, signed it, and overnighted it to me. I then registered the car and all was good.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:12 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Just talked with Wells Fargo. Was told it could take up to a month to get a clear title from them. Going to have to pass on this car. It was a nice one too. If it had a clear title it would be in my garage already.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Don't give up. Try establishing a personal connection with someone at Wells Fargo, specifically in the department that would be sending you the title. We were successful using that strategy on a mortgage lien. Some people do care and are helpful. Find one.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I think a lot of people here are way too trusting with cashiers checks and the 10 day clearing time. I take cash only, those cashiers checks are constantly faked and can take a lot longer than 10 days to come up as fraudulent and then you are out 30-40k and your car which happens to be on a ship out of the country.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Last car I bought, I took seller to bank with me so he could see the bank made out the check.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I am in Michigan and car is in ohio
just did it a couple months ago. Seller had the title with Wells. We went to his bank, did a bank transfer for the funds. Seller signed his state's "notification of sale/transfer" or something like that, and a Bill of Sale that I brought with me. Two weeks later, I got the title.

Don't believe anyone who tells you it will be a couple/few days. It will take 10-14 days, maybe longer.

When I sold my Vette a week before I bought the new one, we went through the same process. My lender took over 3 weeks to get the title to me, which I then forwarded to buyer. However, if you are dealing with a Credit Union, they usually have the titles in-house, which makes it much easier, and quicker.

it is a simple process as long as you do a little research, and go to the bank to do the transfer. You may also go to the DMV, which is the correct thing to do as long as they don't assess their sales tax rate on you.

Jim

Last edited by buckmeister2; 04-09-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:12 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Wells Fargo sucks. They lost my buddies title. I had another buddy jack him all over on his business property loans and home refi. Move to Chase! There was a note above talking about a car where the owner had title; not this situation and yes if they money is secured in your account it should be no biggie for the bank to do direct transfer and send the title ASAP. Bank to bank transactions are very easy these days and can be confirmed. Cashiers check, yes there is a hold at some, even though I learned these checks are already guaranteed, the issue is fraud cashiers checks are now easy to print on a home printer. I just sold a 78 Pace on eBay. It was bought out of AR. Pretty simple really. They did direct transfer of funds, bank to bank, once I produced a copy of the title, scanned with matching serial number. I put a watermark over it "Copy". They sent a shipper out, trailered it up; gone; title went with car.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:32 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Small local banks are the boss, just sayin.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:18 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
It doesnt matter where the car is and where you are...
This is why location does matter. If it was a MI car, both parties could have walked into a WF with the title and would have left with the lien released, the loan satisfied, the leftover money in the seller's account or pocket, and a clear title in the buyer's hand.

Instead, he talked to someone not so helpful at WF and has walked away from the grief.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM
silverbullit99
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

has anybody bought a car that had a lien on it where the lien had to be paid off then it took a few days for the bank to release a clean title? Looking at a car like this. Bank is Wells Fargo. How is this done?
thanks.
You should pay off the bank that has the lien, have your bank reach out to the sellers bank and take care of. Never just give the money to the seller with hopes that he pays off his loan.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by slowstang305
I think a lot of people here are way too trusting with cashiers checks and the 10 day clearing time. I take cash only, those cashiers checks are constantly faked and can take a lot longer than 10 days to come up as fraudulent and then you are out 30-40k and your car which happens to be on a ship out of the country.
worst case you file a police report for stolen vehicle and get insurance check for probably more than you sold it for.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:09 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ Uh huh. Sounds like a good plan.

Quick Reply: Buying car with a lien