C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side airbag operation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:23 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default Side airbag operation

I’m installing my new seat skins and was curious as to how the side airbags inflate on the C6? There doesn’t appear to be an opening in the seat skin over the airbag, so would it blow through the skin if activated?

Old 05-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

That's exactly correct. Just changed mine as well. I can see you have the sport seat skins, ( airbag ) and the skin is weaker in that area and will blow right thru the seat skin when deployed
Old 05-15-2018, 02:34 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
That's exactly correct. Just changed mine as well. I can see you have the sport seat skins, ( airbag ) and the skin is weaker in that area and will blow right thru the seat skin when deployed
I’m replacing with genuine leather aftermarket skins & it doesn’t appear to be weaker in that spot which is why I asked.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

I just did same thing last week, aftermarket, leather so thick i had difficult time cutting thru for the cut outs .That area is weaker and the airbag will blast right thru .Have you seen video of one going off? Im not concerned one tiny bit about that airbag not blasting thru the seat skin!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:01 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
I just did same thing last week, aftermarket, leather so thick i had difficult time cutting thru for the cut outs .That area is weaker and the airbag will blast right thru .Have you seen video of one going off? Im not concerned one tiny bit about that airbag not blasting thru the seat skin!
Thanks. Where did you get your skins? I’ve been working on mine for 2 hours in the 90 degree sun, and unfortunately I don’t think they fit

Last edited by JABCAT; 05-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

I got mine from Ridies, sister company to interior innovations I think.. I'm going to do a write up soon but just finished two days ago and been to busy .Mine fit like a tight glove, almost like OJ's glove.. Just had to stretch them on nice and tight. Took about 3 hours per seat total and that was taking my sweet time and doing the seat rebuild kits. The leather is so thick and strong, I absolutely love them! New skins
Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Do you have a pre - 2012? I sent Interior Innovations my originals for a template because I have a ‘12, & no matter how hard I pull, I can’t get the plastic on the inside of the side bolsters or headrest to get anywhere near the holes in the seat back to put the plastic push pins in.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Do you have a pre - 2012? I sent Interior Innovations my originals for a template because I have a ‘12, & no matter how hard I pull, I can’t get the plastic on the inside of the side bolsters or headrest to get anywhere near the holes in the seat back to put the plastic push pins in.

Did you let the skins sit in the sun for about an hour prior to install? They need to have a good amount of stretch in them.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Did you let the skins sit in the sun for about an hour prior to install? They need to have a good amount of stretch in them.
They’ve been sitting in the sun for about 3 hours. I’m also not happy with the color of the stitching. Up close it appears to be a different color in the logo on the headrest than the rest of the stitching & both are not close to the color of my car.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

I got mine from Ridies, sister company to interior innovations I think.. I'm going to do a write up soon but just finished two days ago and been to busy .Mine fit like a tight glove, almost like OJ's glove.. Just had to stretch them on nice and tight. Took about 3 hours per seat total and that was taking my sweet time and doing the seat rebuild kits. The leather is so thick and strong, I absolutely love them! New skins
Old 05-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

They’ve been sitting in the sun for about 3 hours. I’m also not happy with the color of the stitching. Up close it appears to be a different color in the logo on the headrest than the rest of the stitching & both are not close to the color of my car.
You may need a second set of hands to get them to stretch far enough. When I did mine I had a friend pull the frame in the opposite direction that I was stretching. I wasn't able to get it to go by myself.

I thought I had the same issue with my stitching, but I'm color blind so I couldn't really tell. I do know that the thread used for stitching the skins is a different thickness than what is used for the headrest. That could be the reason for the color difference.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You may need a second set of hands to get them to stretch far enough. When I did mine I had a friend pull the frame in the opposite direction that I was stretching. I wasn't able to get it to go by myself.

I thought I had the same issue with my stitching, but I'm color blind so I couldn't really tell. I do know that the thread used for stitching the skins is a different thickness than what is used for the headrest. That could be the reason for the color difference.
The stitching looks more goldenrod, does not appear orange at all, while the logo in the headrest is more of a burnt orange which I communicated I did not want. Idk - I guess it’s the frustration of it taking 8 weeks & then not being exactly what I had wanted. Here you can see the disparity in the color when put in the car.

I sent them a message & will see what the remedy is.

Last edited by JABCAT; 05-15-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

[left]I’m installing my new seat skins and was curious as to how the side airbags inflate on the C6? There doesn’t appear to be an opening in the seat skin over the airbag, so would it blow through the skin if activated?
Airbags deploy at 200 mph. There's no need to worry if it will break through or not; it will literally blow a hole in the skin.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Same system as factory. If it is stamped "airbag", it will blow out the seams, and protect you.

Get notified of new replies

To Side airbag operation

Quick Reply: Side airbag operation