C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z to C7 Z ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C6 Z to C7 Z ??

Would like to hear from people that had a C6 Z06 with work, that have moved to a C7 Z06.
So I think I may be ready (financially) to move into a C7 Z06 from my C6 Z06....
My question is, to anyone that has done it, how different is the feel?
I know all the luxuries are a plus, and that is part of the reason i want to move up, but, i am worried about losing the aggressive C6 Z Cam feeling and power to what i assume to be a more tamer supercharged C7 Z.....
Anyone make the move from a worked C6 Z to a C7 and have regrets?

Tell me your thoughts?

My plan would be to start offering a trade of my C6 Z with Cash for someone's C7 Z, or try a dealer...
Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You may get better responses in the C7 section. Most of what you get here will be conjecture as few members have made the transition to C7 then back to a C6.

Some who have transitioned to C7 do spend a little time in our section though.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:00 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by doomi
You may get better responses in the C7 section. Most of what you get here will be conjecture as few members have made the transition to C7 then back to a C6.

Some who have transitioned to C7 do spend a little time in our section though.

Those that made the move are mostly hanging out over there.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

posted there too, but open to listening to people who came back, or just still love the C6
Old 05-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,186 Posts

If you are going to road course track the car, No on the move from a C6 Z06 to C7 Z06.

Hence there is a huge lawsuit going on now with GM over the C7 Z06 not be track ready as first advertised. The problem is GM used a TVS1900 supercharger on the car (LS9 had a TVS2300), and the C7 Z06 is plague with over heat problems on the track from the smaller supercharger creating so much heat, that it over heats the motor in about 20mins puts the car into over heat limp mode on the track isntead.

If you want to drop $4K into the C7 Z06 to increase the cooling of the supercharger cooling to prevent the super charger over heat problems on the lt4 motor, then you more welcome to do such.

As for the LT5 being used on the C7 ZR1, the super charger being used on that motor is a TVS2675, and will not have the over heat problem isntead.

To sum it up, the TVS1900 is too small of a super charger, and to get it to created the needed boost pressure for the LT4, its over spun too much. Hence the faster you spin a super charger, the more heat is going to generate, and the hotter that pressured air is going to be that is forced into the motor.

SoLS9, TVS 2300 works fine without over heat problems.

On the LT4, TVS1900 is too small of volume supercharger and when its over spun to create the needed boost, the super charger turns into a heat pump instead.

On the LT5, it getting the even larger volume TVS2675, so even with the increased pressure that is going to create to get that motor to 755hp, still will not turn into a heat pump to over heat the motor like on the LT4.

If all you want to do is "driving miss daisy" cruse around on the street with the C7 z06, with maybe a few second boost once in a great while, then will be fine instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-17-2018 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06-HEC* (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,491 Likes on 2,822 Posts

I haven' owner either, but I have driven them both. So I will give you my take based on that.

There is no question the C7Z is faster, but it feels different. The C6Z FEELS fast, you feel like you're nearing the edge with it. The C7Z due to its aero, doesn't give you that feeling. It feels like the aero and co.puters are keeping you in check. It' more of a "wow I didn't realize how fast I was going" experience.

Outside of that, the interior feels a lot smaller and more cramped, materials and quality feel about the same, seats are still not that great, and it still has that "budget supercar with a focus on the budget part" feel, just with the overdone tech style of modern cars.

So that' my take. If it was a toy, I'd probably stick with a c6, if it was a daily I would probably move I to a c7.
Z06-HEC* (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

See thats my problem...
I bought my C6 while living in NY where there was no need to daily drive and only took it out on date nights or when i would go racing with the guys...
Now I moved to GA and I use it as a daily driver now. Getting caught in traffic in a cammed 6speed, no cooled seats with the trans tunnel burning up, header heat... becomes annoying sometimes. On the other hand no traffic going home daily is fun... moving in and out, power at the drop of a dime is awesome...
I havent driven a C7 but sat in one and I did forget how tight it felt.
But the lack of technology in the C6 is also an issue. I want at least some bluetooth to listen to my waze and music through the radio and my C6 Nav doesnt have that.
I basically want the luxury but dont want to loose the feel of power and that response, that muscle feel...
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06-HEC*
See thats my problem...
I bought my C6 while living in NY where there was no need to daily drive and only took it out on date nights or when i would go racing with the guys...
Now I moved to GA and I use it as a daily driver now. Getting caught in traffic in a cammed 6speed, no cooled seats with the trans tunnel burning up, header heat... becomes annoying sometimes. On the other hand no traffic going home daily is fun... moving in and out, power at the drop of a dime is awesome...
But the lack of technology in the C6 is also an issue. I want at least some bluetooth to listen to my waze and music through the radio and my C6 Nav doesnt have that.
I basically want the luxury but dont want to loose the feel of power and that response, that muscle feel...

For you, the C7 Z06 upgrade from the C6 Z06 makes prefect sense.
Short of the road course over heat problems to be addressed once the law suit completes (and looks), the C7 Z06 is a upgrade over the C6 Z06 in every way.

Hell once the lawsuit goes through, it may be that GM has a recall on the C7 Z06 to upgrade the coolers in house, instead of having to pay for someone to do such aftermarket if it gets to the point that you start road coursing the car down the line.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:49 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

The C7Z with an auto is a much more comfortable daily car. Put it in drive and never worry about it, butt coolers, and you just can't get that in a c6z. Bluetooth can be added, actually I've seen some aftermarket seat coolers but not common yet.

The c7z is even more of a touring car than the c6. I think you will like that. It has immense power that you will like. If you don't care about driving feel and your idea of sporty driving is all about stomping the gas, then you will.probably like it.

For me, I'd be tempted to buy an A6 Grand Sport, put a blower on it, and add some luxuries in the aftermarket. But I prefer the c6 looks significantly, and don' trust or want most of the tech in the c7. If they'd sell an ls3 powered c7 without the eLSD a d crap like that of be more intrigued. You know that direct injection is a weak point when GM had to add port injection on the c7zr1...
Old 05-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

By the way, the later model C6s do have an aux port. You have to plug your phone into the jack, but it works well. Not as good as bluetooth, though. You still have a wire.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-HEC*
See thats my problem...

I remember when I was young that muscle cars didn't have all the bells and whistles. They were real muscle cars. They were made for bad asses who can handle them. The C7 with all it's technology, creature comforts, basically drives its self, reminds me of Kit from Knight Rider and David Hasselhoff. Buy a new head unit and call it a day!
Z06-HEC* (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
If you are going to road course track the car, No on the move from a C6 Z06 to C7 Z06.

Hence there is a huge lawsuit going on now with GM over the C7 Z06 not be track ready as first advertised. The problem is GM used a TVS1900 supercharger on the car (LS9 had a TVS2300), and the C7 Z06 is plague with over heat problems on the track from the smaller supercharger creating so much heat, that it over heats the motor in about 20mins puts the car into over heat limp mode on the track isntead.

If you want to drop $4K into the C7 Z06 to increase the cooling of the supercharger cooling to prevent the super charger over heat problems on the lt4 motor, then you more welcome to do such.

As for the LT5 being used on the C7 ZR1, the super charger being used on that motor is a TVS2675, and will not have the over heat problem isntead.

To sum it up, the TVS1900 is too small of a super charger, and to get it to created the needed boost pressure for the LT4, its over spun too much. Hence the faster you spin a super charger, the more heat is going to generate, and the hotter that pressured air is going to be that is forced into the motor.

SoLS9, TVS 2300 works fine without over heat problems.

On the LT4, TVS1900 is too small of volume supercharger and when its over spun to create the needed boost, the super charger turns into a heat pump instead.

On the LT5, it getting the even larger volume TVS2675, so even with the increased pressure that is going to create to get that motor to 755hp, still will not turn into a heat pump to over heat the motor like on the LT4.

If all you want to do is "driving miss daisy" cruse around on the street with the C7 z06, with maybe a few second boost once in a great while, then will be fine instead.
You might want to mosey on over to the C7 ZO6 section and check out some of our members road course videos before you say anything further on this matter. Or some magazine tests at various tracks. Then you'll see that the C7 Z06 is a blisteringly fast track car for a full session without problems. I refer only to the Manual. In auto form it does overheat quickly and that's why GM doesn't recommend it for track use.
The following 2 users liked this post by redzone:
dvilin (05-19-2018), zo659 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:53 PM
kyleg500hp
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were you i'd buy a used c7 Grand Sport same as z06 just no supercharger. and buy a supercharger yourself one of those good ones, add a cam + supercharger push 800hp for $8k invested. No overheating issues that way and may even save u money. The C7 does feel more luxurious for sure but once you get used to it especially if it's setup well it should still feel raw. It won't be as raw as c6 but you'll still have plenty fun.

Other suggestion is buy another car for DD and save the c6 for weekend. I use my c6 modded as hell only for weekend. The raw/scary feeling is exactly what i want for a weekend car.
Z06-HEC* (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 03:01 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
By the way, the later model C6s do have an aux port. You have to plug your phone into the jack, but it works well. Not as good as bluetooth, though. You still have a wire.
I have a Bluetooth received hgged into my usb port that hooks to the aux in. Works grwat.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Alot of false info on the overheating issue posted by Dano.
Originally Posted by redzone
You might want to mosey on over to the C7 ZO6 section and check out some of our members road course videos before you say anything further on this matter. Or some magazine tests at various tracks. Then you'll see that the C7 Z06 is a blisteringly fast track car for a full session without problems. I refer only to the Manual. In auto form it does overheat quickly and that's why GM doesn't recommend it for track use.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by dvilin
Alot of false info on the overheating issue posted by Dano.
M7's are having the overheat problems as well.

If anyone want to snorkel in that gutter,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...merge-257.html
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

hmmmm, why don't those c7z guys just install 160* thermostats in their cars? That will get them running cooler!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z to C7 Z ??

Old 05-20-2018, 09:13 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
hmmmm, why don't those c7z guys just install 160* thermostats in their cars? That will get them running cooler!
lol. Sure it would...
Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
lol. Sure it would...

It works! I was recently schooled.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4128524-160-thermostat-pros-cons.html
Old 05-20-2018, 11:43 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
M7's are having the overheat problems as well.

If anyone want to snorkel in that gutter,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...merge-257.html
If you want to pick fly **** out of the pepper, then yeah, it has been known to affect the manual on occasion. Rarely. And that's a simple fix with the auxiliary radiator for 15's and 16's,which became standard equipment in 2017. Along with tilted bricks for better airflow to the rear cylinders.

And you really need to stop going on and on about the supercharger being too small. The IAT's have been spot on. But you go ahead and believe what you want to believe, even when the facts are only a click away.

Quick Reply: C6 Z to C7 Z ??