C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil change Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Another oil change Question ?

Just did my first oil and filter 2008 C6 /AT and Z51 Option. BTW 6 Quarts with filter to the full mark on the stick. I Purchased the car from a dealer and I'm not going to say which dealer. The oil filter came off IMO way to easy. Just used my hand an it was very loose. The drain plug is another story. It was so tight so I decided to put a torque wrench on it with 13MM socket.
It came loose @ 85 Foot pounds. Now is this done for a reason or is this just another way or the dealer to sell you an oil pan job. As far as I know it's only about 18-20 foot pounds. It did come off lucky with no damage. Is it really that hard to have a car's oil change performed the proper way. My other car is a Chevy as well and came with free maintenance for two years. The only place the car was every worked on or serviced was the dealer it came from brand new. It also had a very tight oil drain plug. So rather than mess with it so I used an oil evacuator. So my question is this done for a reason. Over tightened drain plugs in a cast aluminum oil pan ? Something so simple can cause such a problem. Anyway other than a tight drain plug the C6 is one of the easiest oil change I've ever done.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:00 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
Just did my first oil and filter 2008 C6 /AT and Z51 Option. BTW 6 Quarts with filter to the full mark on the stick. I Purchased the car from a dealer and I'm not going to say which dealer. The oil filter came off IMO way to easy. Just used my hand an it was very loose. The drain plug is another story. It was so tight so I decided to put a torque wrench on it with 13MM socket.
It came loose @ 85 Foot pounds. Now is this done for a reason or is this just another way or the dealer to sell you an oil pan job. As far as I know it's only about 18-20 foot pounds. It did come off lucky with no damage. Is it really that hard to have a car's oil change performed the proper way. My other car is a Chevy as well and came with free maintenance for two years. The only place the car was every worked on or serviced was the dealer it came from brand new. It also had a very tight oil drain plug. So rather than mess with it so I used an oil evacuator. So my question is this done for a reason. Over tightened drain plugs in a cast aluminum oil pan ? Something so simple can cause such a problem. Anyway other than a tight drain plug the C6 is one of the easiest oil change I've ever done.
I have the same vette as you do and manual says 5.5 qts.
The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I have the same vette as you do and manual says 5.5 qts.
Engine Oil with Filter 6.2 LV8 Engine 5.5 qt 5.2 L 6.2 LV8 Engine with extended oil cooler 6.0 qt 5.7 L This is from my owners manual. My car has factory external engine oil cooler. Anyway my question was about the drain plug.

Last edited by jeffs64; 05-23-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I use 6 quarts in my 10' GS A6. Most times mechanics tighten the drain plug too tight, simply loosen it when you change your oil, and don't put it back on so tight. The oil pan goes through many heat cycles when we drive, so yes the drain plug could get tighter in the pan.
jeffs64 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Engine Oil with Filter 6.2 LV8 Engine 5.5 qt 5.2 L 6.2 LV8 Engine with extended oil cooler 6.0 qt 5.7 L This is from my owners manual. My car has factory external engine oil cooler. Anyway my question was about the drain plug.

Except, after the initial factory fill, 1/2 qt of oil stays in the cooler and lines and does not drain. So, you really now have 6 1/2 qts. What you read in the manual was a "capacity" spec.

If you look at the layout of the cooler and lines, you'll notice the level of the cooler and the U-shape of the lines as they rise to the oil pan creates a trap similar to a P-trap.

I removed my Z-51 cooler with an empty oil pan and spilled that 1/2 qt all over the floor, only after I released the lines at the pan and was surprised by the spill.

85 ftlbs is ridiculously tight, almost as tight as a wheel lug nut. But, not surprising coming from a dealer's back room. As a kid, I worked for a year in a Chevy dealership as an apprentice Tech before going back to school. I know what goes on in that back room and why my car(s) never go back there when I own them.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 05-23-2018 at 07:47 AM.
jeffs64 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

You problem is having a dealer change your oil.
jeffs64 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

He changed his own oil
jeffs64 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:11 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
He changed his own oil
Got it.
jeffs64 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

I think I was not clear about situation. The Corvette's oil was Changed / Serviced from the dealer I purchased it from. The oil life in DIC said 60% when I picked up the car. When it went down to 50% I changed the oil and filter. Napa Gold part # 7060 And 6 Quarts of Mobil 1 5w30. The other Chevy was brand new and had Two free oil changes that came with the purchase. This car uses a special oil that is very hard to find here locally. It's Dexos2. 5w30 and holds 4.5L of this oil with filter. To have this oil change done the only place in Reno area that even has this oil is the dealer. They charge $175.00 to change the oil and filter. It cost $100.00 just to purchase the oil and filter. So I let them do the two free ones. I finally found the special engine here in town and in stock so I did my first oil change in that car as well and found the over tighten oil drain plug. I never did get it loose. Technically still under warranty. But I do not want them to every touch any of my car's ever again.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Except, after the initial factory fill, 1/2 qt of oil stays in the cooler and lines and does not drain. So, you really now have 6 1/2 qts. What you read in the manual was a "capacity" spec.

If you look at the layout of the cooler and lines, you'll notice the level of the cooler and the U-shape of the lines as they rise to the oil pan creates a trap similar to a P-trap.

I removed my Z-51 cooler with an empty oil pan and spilled that 1/2 qt all over the floor, only after I released the lines at the pan and was surprised by the spill.

85 ftlbs is ridiculously tight, almost as tight as a wheel lug nut. But, not surprising coming from a dealer's back room. As a kid, I worked for a year in a Chevy dealership as an apprentice Tech before going back to school. I know what goes on in that back room and why my car(s) never go back there when I own them.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

When I bought my 2011 GS in 2014 I took it to the local dealer for an inspection, recalls, oil & filter, alignment etc just to check things over, all good. Didn't know any better at that point.
The next oil change (myself) I made the mistake of draining my oil first then attempting the filter, shorten up the story here after some 3 hours and 3 different oil filter wrenches I had to put the old oil back in and drive to the dealer to remove the filter
They did it for free of course but boy I was steamed, even the oil tech () admitted it was WAY TOO TIGHT!!!!!
So never again, at least for a few more years till Im too old to do it
NSF
jeffs64 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:05 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Except, after the initial factory fill, 1/2 qt of oil stays in the cooler and lines and does not drain. So, you really now have 6 1/2 qts. What you read in the manual was a "capacity" spec....
I think you mean 5 1/2 qt.s...
Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I think you mean 5 1/2 qt.s...
I believe he said he filled it with 6 quarts. Check original post.

So as BlindSpot said, the 1/2 Qt. left in the cooler line = 6.5 quarts.
jeffs64 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Batman75
I believe he said he filled it with 6 quarts. Check original post.
So as BlindSpot said, the 1/2 Qt. left in the cooler line = 6.5 quarts.
Ah, gottcha. I thought he was going the other way with a 6 qt system and 1/2 qt in the cooler so now ya got 5 1/2 Qts. Clear as mud...
Old 05-24-2018, 04:54 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
When I bought my 2011 GS in 2014 I took it to the local dealer for an inspection, recalls, oil & filter, alignment etc just to check things over, all good. Didn't know any better at that point.
The next oil change (myself) I made the mistake of draining my oil first then attempting the filter, shorten up the story here after some 3 hours and 3 different oil filter wrenches I had to put the old oil back in and drive to the dealer to remove the filter
They did it for free of course but boy I was steamed, even the oil tech () admitted it was WAY TOO TIGHT!!!!!
So never again, at least for a few more years till Im too old to do it
NSF

Bobby,

I know it's too late, but the next time the filter won't come off, just take the largest screw driver you have, drive it completely through the filter and now you have a large T-Wrench with lots of leverage. I've had to do a few like that in the past. Filter is going in the garbage anyway, so....
Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

Auto parts store or even Walmart and look at the name brand motor oil‘s that are the right viscosity for your car you will find that most are Dexos2. it is usually on a small label either in the lower front corner of the bottle or someplace on the back
jeffs64 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racer1735
Auto parts store or even Walmart and look at the name brand motor oil‘s that are the right viscosity for your car you will find that most are Dexos2. it is usually on a small label either in the lower front corner of the bottle or someplace on the back
Most are Dexos1 Not 2 Here's A couple of pic's the green label is Dexos2 Used for "Emission System Protection" Only used Late model Duramax And Chevy 4 Cyl Diesels. The Green label on the back Says GM Dexos2 I use in my 2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0L Diesel The gray label goes in the Corvette. If you look carefully the gray label and almost all Mobil 1 Oil's say Dexos1 on the front. There's a little # 1 in the square then it say Dexos. Check it out let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks Jeff Also forgot to say gray label say's "For Gasoline Engines only" so can't use it
Attached Images   

Last edited by jeffs64; 05-24-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another oil change Question ?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

The Green labels match. Dexos2 Is used to protect the Particulate Filter on the exhaust system.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jeffs64; 05-25-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Bobby,

I know it's too late, but the next time the filter won't come off, just take the largest screw driver you have, drive it completely through the filter and now you have a large T-Wrench with lots of leverage. I've had to do a few like that in the past. Filter is going in the garbage anyway, so....
Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I think I was not clear about situation. The Corvette's oil was Changed / Serviced from the dealer I purchased it from. The oil life in DIC said 60% when I picked up the car. When it went down to 50% I changed the oil and filter. Napa Gold part # 7060 And 6 Quarts of Mobil 1 5w30. The other Chevy was brand new and had Two free oil changes that came with the purchase. This car uses a special oil that is very hard to find here locally. It's Dexos2. 5w30 and holds 4.5L of this oil with filter. To have this oil change done the only place in Reno area that even has this oil is the dealer. They charge $175.00 to change the oil and filter. It cost $100.00 just to purchase the oil and filter. So I let them do the two free ones. I finally found the special engine here in town and in stock so I did my first oil change in that car as well and found the over tighten oil drain plug. I never did get it loose. Technically still under warranty. But I do not want them to every touch any of my car's ever again.
My first oil change was at the dealer.." I got it with 0 miles on it" anyway it was there for another reason and i said go ahead and change the oil..Never Again!!

Quick Reply: Another oil change Question ?