C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Convertibles Check In Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 12:44 PM
frankbicknell
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have gone with this model of the sensor. It has a built in camera too. So in theory I will have the best of both worlds.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by frankbicknell; 05-11-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:47 PM
dave.f
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankbicknell
I have gone with this model of the sensor. It has a built in camera too. So in theory I will have the best of both worlds.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have to manually activate the camera and or sensor, or is the sensor always on or automatic?
Old 05-10-2024, 12:57 PM
frankbicknell
Intermediate

I definitely like that you can install android apps. That is just about open as source as I need. Many of the android type radio manufacturers block installation of third party apps, of course there are reasons for blocking installation of third party apps since they have the potential of breaking everything. As long as you are careful it is it is usually safe. That background is very cool. It is getting very close to my Tesla model S display, which is everything I ever tried to create in all of my cars over the many years. Starting n the early 70's you could only get Segmented LED displays. We have come a long way.
The following users liked this post:
VetteVinnie (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 04:00 PM
DaveJB
Heel & Toe

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
I plan to stick it under the nose in front of the grill as far back as it will go. I’ve seen some mounted in the grill itself. I’ll decide when I get the nose loosened to install the DRL harness for my Morimoto headlights. I might even source the power for the camera off that same harness so I don’t have to run two separate sets of wires. It might be a couple of weeks at least, though, since it’s Mother’s Day weekend.
Just one man's opinion but even though the morimoto head lights look good, I regret the waste of money on them. They are not brighter, I would say they are about a third less bright than my original headlights. Also there's a small part of the bodywork on the front end that is sticking up a little bit from the install. I hope a body shop will be able to fix it For all the time and effort and they are not cheap. I really wish I could go back in time. Just one man's opinion.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:16 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJB
Just one man's opinion but even though the morimoto head lights look good, I regret the waste of money on them. They are not brighter, I would say they are about a third less bright than my original headlights. Also there's a small part of the bodywork on the front end that is sticking up a little bit from the install. I hope a body shop will be able to fix it For all the time and effort and they are not cheap. I really wish I could go back in time. Just one man's opinion.
All of the empirical testing I’ve seen using light meters to measure the actual light output show these lights are brighter than stock, so I’m not sure I agree with your assessment. Here is one such video:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:56 AM
frankbicknell
Intermediate

My motivation for changing the headlights is for the low current, long lasting, modern looking LED lighting. Sadly because of the outdated GM electronics design we do not get all of the benefit of LED lights for the turn signals because we have to use resistors to waste current so the system does not detect a bulb burnout.

As far as brightness is concerned I personally do not have any problem seeing at night with the current lights. I do however have a problem with the cars traveling in the opposite direction with these newer ultra bright headlights. You can't tell any more if people are running with their brights on. They are so bright that they leave me with floaters sometimes. I am not a proponent of regulation but these headlights are getting ridiculously bright and blinding and in my opinion hazardous.

There are few different brands to choose from so when I am ready I will look into it further. I am not sure about the damage to the body from an installation. That does not sound good.

Last edited by frankbicknell; 05-11-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:57 AM
frankbicknell
Intermediate

Since I will be diving into this modification soon could you show me a photo of the body damage?
Old 05-11-2024, 10:17 AM
frankbicknell
Intermediate

From what I understand the sensor will always be active with the car running, depending on how it is connected. The camera has a shutter that becomes active when the sensor detects an object, however there is no input on my head unit to make the front camera video active like the backup camera. So the camera operation is manual, but the sensor is always sensing. I am so used to the parking sensors in my other vehicles that I have come to rely on them. Sometimes I forget which vehicle I am in and then oops. I really need the automatic alarm. My only issue is where to install it where it will be heard and not seen.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:41 PM
frankbicknell
Intermediate

New rear carbon fiber spoiler

I heard this Beatles song and thought maybe a good personalized plate.

The following 2 users liked this post by frankbicknell:
Michael Clemans (05-24-2024), oi-vey (05-21-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 05:01 AM
oi-vey
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey ya'll. Here's my still new to me 07 vert. Rescued from behind bars in the summer of 23 to as it sits now. Just finished up the side skirts and splitter. Wadda pain! --I'm old!!

The following 2 users liked this post by oi-vey:
Kr65 (05-20-2024), MCMLXI (05-23-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 07:16 AM
Red12
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Here`s mine
Attached Files
File Type: html
my vette.html (1.33 MB, 4 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Red12:
MCMLXI (05-23-2024), oi-vey (05-21-2024), UCC (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 07:36 AM
UCC
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Very nice vert
Old 05-23-2024, 09:51 PM
ZSkipper
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

SOMUCHFUN to have a 'special interest' page, and the great posts from so many rag-toppers! I've had several Corvettes - C3's (2); C4's (4); C5's (7); C6's (5) and C7's (1). So, since my first 1968 427/390 big block, I've always had a ton of fun with these great engineering marvels! At 87, I decided I just wanted one last Corvette for a few more years of fun driving. My choice was a 2009 manual soft-top. This was the so-called 'limited edition' very base model, that Corvette was trying to promote at a 'reasonable' price due to falling sales in that era. As you know, it was a simple base 1LT, manual top, and zero bells/whistles. I found one recently, and pulled the trigger. 51k miles, well cared for, and as basic-basic as they come. Works for me, however....

UCC (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 10:29 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

One option I chose when I bought my 2012 new 12 years ago was to add black inserts behind the headlights... Standard was to be colored the same as the car but I saw this option and wondered what it might look like... I came on this forum (even before I had ordered the car) and asked if anyone had photos of a Crystal Red C6 with these black inserts and got several answers almost immediately... Liked what I saw so added those to the order for the car... Seemed pricey, $500 in 2012, but well worth it, IMO... See pictures...

oi-vey (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 11:58 AM
UCC
Instructor

It's a Beautiful vert.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:25 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Much appreciated.... Had clear bra installed from the windshield forward (they called that a "full wrap") when it was new in 2012... In 2022, having been on there for a decade, I decided to take it off the hood, fenders, nose and only have it re-added to the nose... The guys I found who do great work with installation and/or removal removed it in a 7 hour process, without a guarantee that it would not also remove some factory paint... The hood film was one large piece of what used to be 3M Ventureshield... They carefully cut the clear bra into strips (ON the CAR!!!) because it's easier to remove that way. I was there all day, waiting in a nearby room and I stepped out once to see how it was going... The installer, who I know pretty well, was working away with ball cap on backward, a squeegee in one hand, a knife in the other and a flashlight in his mouth... Without me saying anything, I quietly turned around, said to myself, "leave him the heck alone" and went back to the waiting area... When done, all worked out great... No paint issues... I then had them install a newer, different brand of clear bra (Suntek) to only the nose and we left older clear bra on the head light covers... Hood looked like the day it was first received back in 2012 because it's been protected by the clear bra and spent most of its life in a nice garage under a cover... See a more recent picture after the clear bra work in 2022...

The following 2 users liked this post by diitto:
oi-vey (05-24-2024), UCC (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 04:33 PM
UCC
Instructor

From this picture the paint looks new.
really like that shine!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Convertibles Check In Here

Old 05-24-2024, 05:00 PM
Michael Clemans
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 81 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

LOVE THE TAIL LIGHTS...

Old 05-24-2024, 05:52 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UCC
From this picture the paint looks new.
really like that shine!
Thanks... It has led a pretty kind and sheltered life... Yet, even I am sometimes surprised at how little it looks like it's aged in now 12 years...

But then there are moments, like just last night when I came out from a meeting (we have a lot of geese around here) and oh my... From the windshield forward, got nailed... So it's not a perfectly calm Corvette life... But a couple hours later in the driveway, all clean again...

The following 2 users liked this post by diitto:
Michael Clemans (05-24-2024), UCC (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 10:28 PM
MC007!!3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a convertible top on a 2006 Corvette be moved if battery is dead or top mechanicals break ?

Quick Reply: C6 Convertibles Check In Here