C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading home

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Heading home

Brother is completing a long trip with his 2010 Grand Sport convertible. He just called from Whitehorse BC and should be back in Anchorage on Monday evening . He shipped his car down from Anchorage to Tacoma on May 1 drove across the country ending Anderson Indiana relative there. Sad back story. He started the return leg about a week ago. Been calling every few days just let me know. The Corvette has been perfect, driving with the top down most of the time. The car is all stock but has a Billy Boat exhaust running Hankook tires. No flats all good. I have my fingers crossed that the leg from Whitehorse to Tok junction is passable. We don't use run flat tires. The entire front of the car has clear paint protection he did say that he just covered most wheel wells with several more layers of painters tape. Said a grizzly bear stepped out in front today but had room to get around. Couple days ago sent me picture driving at 90 mph for over 45 minutes think it was in Nebraska somewhere. He just can not get over how great this Corvette works. Will be driving my 06 Vert up to Glennallen to meet him on the way in hope we don't get into snow. If anybody has seen a {gosh I don't know what they call his color kind of metallic gray}with Alaska plates know he is enjoying his car. Will post pictures with the green painters tape as soon as he gets back into a cell area.
Attached Images    

Last edited by h8snow; 06-17-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: include pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by h8snow:
Atomic6 (06-17-2018), Bruze (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Very cool! The only negative I ever hear about are the frost heaves in the roads. Hopefully not an issue.
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (06-17-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default road trip

[QUOTE=h8snow;1597422121]Brother is completing a long trip with his 2010 Grand Sport convertible. He just called from Whitehorse BC and should be back in Anchorage on Monday evening . He shipped his car down from Anchorage to Tacoma on May 1 drove across the country ending Anderson Indiana relative there. Sad back story. He started the return leg about a week ago. Been calling every few days just let me know. The Corvette has been perfect, driving with the top down most of the time. The car is all stock but has a Billy Boat exhaust running Hankook tires. No flats all good. I have my fingers crossed that the leg from Whitehorse to Tok junction is passable. We don't use run flat tires. The entire front of the car has clear paint protection he did say that he just covered most wheel wells with several more layers of painters tape. Said a grizzly bear stepped out in front today but had room to get around. Couple days ago sent me picture driving at 90 mph for over 45 minutes think it was in Nebraska somewhere. He just can not get over how great this Corvette works. Will be driving my 06 Vert up to Glennallen to meet him on the way in hope we don't get into snow. If anybody has seen a {gosh I don't know what they call his color kind of metallic gray}with Alaska plates know he is enjoying his car. Will post pictures with the green painters tape as soon as he gets back into a cell area. /QUOTE]

I love a good ( or any ) road trip story.
it's always great to hear when people get out drive these cars.
really drive them!
my ride does have evidence of 131k worth of miles. the front end has its share of chips & bugs splats. the fog lights also are a bit chewed up. but I do not mind, it shows that it gets driven.
I'm sure at some point, I'll get the front end detailed & the lighting addressed. but until then, I'm good with it.
I just did a 6k mile trip, and was to immediately do one again.
I haven't done Canada yet. better get up there before trump screws it up for us!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=cgladish;1597430526]
Originally Posted by h8snow
Brother is completing a long trip with his 2010 Grand Sport convertible. He just called from Whitehorse BC and should be back in Anchorage on Monday evening . He shipped his car down from Anchorage to Tacoma on May 1 drove across the country ending Anderson Indiana relative there. Sad back story. He started the return leg about a week ago. Been calling every few days just let me know. The Corvette has been perfect, driving with the top down most of the time. The car is all stock but has a Billy Boat exhaust running Hankook tires. No flats all good. I have my fingers crossed that the leg from Whitehorse to Tok junction is passable. We don't use run flat tires. The entire front of the car has clear paint protection he did say that he just covered most wheel wells with several more layers of painters tape. Said a grizzly bear stepped out in front today but had room to get around. Couple days ago sent me picture driving at 90 mph for over 45 minutes think it was in Nebraska somewhere. He just can not get over how great this Corvette works. Will be driving my 06 Vert up to Glennallen to meet him on the way in hope we don't get into snow. If anybody has seen a {gosh I don't know what they call his color kind of metallic gray}with Alaska plates know he is enjoying his car. Will post pictures with the green painters tape as soon as he gets back into a cell area. /QUOTE]

I love a good ( or any ) road trip story.
it's always great to hear when people get out drive these cars.
really drive them!
my ride does have evidence of 131k worth of miles. the front end has its share of chips & bugs splats. the fog lights also are a bit chewed up. but I do not mind, it shows that it gets driven.
I'm sure at some point, I'll get the front end detailed & the lighting addressed. but until then, I'm good with it.
I just did a 6k mile trip, and was to immediately do one again.
I haven't done Canada yet. better get up there before trump screws it up for us!
Brother phoned couple hours ago just leaving Delta Junction. He drove from Whitehorse BC to Delta Alaska yesterday long day said the road was great. He stopped along Destruction bay and took a video of a monster grizzly along side of road. Said he did put the top up and stayed in the car. His mileage on this trip in the last 6 weeks has been over 9000 miles. Been fun talking to him during the trip he could not be happier with the Grand Sport rock solid. I will be leaving here [Anchorage] in an hour or so to meet up with him around Eureka Summit. Will post pictures. Yea drive these cars that what they were built for.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

An exciting adventurous road story. I love it !!!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:16 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default road trip

Originally Posted by corvette312
An exciting adventurous road story. I love it !!!

the only thing better then hearing a good story, is making one of your own!

saddle up gents! get the feeling that soon, our ability to get out on the
road, will be limited, if not gone all together.
with the advent of self driving and alternative fueled vehicles coming,
the time is limited!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Reckedhim
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Tl:dr
Old 06-19-2018, 12:08 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Met up with my brother at King Mountain. End of a good trip.Name:  Rector Shutterfly NoWM-6918.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  129.8 KB
Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

The color of the car is cyber gray. I have the targa version in the same color.
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (06-19-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:06 PM
CBRDude
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ALCAN Hwy is brutal on windshields! All of Alaska is too! It's a fact of life. Also a great bucket list item any time of the year! Alaska is calling and I must go!

Get notified of new replies

To Heading home

Quick Reply: Heading home