C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted Windshield and Automatic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:20 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tinted Windshield and Automatic Headlights

My windshield is tinted and therefore my car thinks it's dark unless in direct bright sunlight and wants to turn the headlights on. I typically just turn the **** down to the parking lights function to prevent the headlights but wish I could get the corner ambers to be brighter like they are when they are on as DRL. Anybody find a way to do this??
Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you cut hole in tint where the windshield is tinted above the sensor?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMikeWmike
My windshield is tinted and therefore my car thinks it's dark unless in direct bright sunlight and wants to turn the headlights on. I typically just turn the **** down to the parking lights function to prevent the headlights but wish I could get the corner ambers to be brighter like they are when they are on as DRL. Anybody find a way to do this??
First thing I would do is to check your states laws and see if it's even legal to have the tint on there. A lot of states don't allow any tinting of the windshield.
The following users liked this post:
mellojoe (06-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Pretty sure it's not legal in my state....but that isn't the issue here
Old 06-21-2018, 03:00 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Pretty sure it's not legal in my state....but that isn't the issue here
Well what is the issue ? If it's illegal then pull the tint off....problem solved. But if you plan on bucking the system and leaving it on then good luck on a good fix and on any tickets you may get down the road.......
Old 06-22-2018, 12:19 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Led's.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Duct tape a flashlight to the dash and shine it on the sensor.

Why the heck do you want to limit your visibility out the dash so much that your headlights turn on? I can only imagine how horrible it is when it actually is DARK!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

How dark is your windshield? Have you considered sectioning the area around the sensor with tint that is less dark? The bottom line is that you have to find a way to get more light to the sensor. Alternatively, you could relocate the sensor to somewhere behind the rear view mirror near the windshield frit if you don't have the tint there.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

Why the heck do you want to limit your visibility out the dash so much that your headlights turn on? I can only imagine how horrible it is when it actually is DARK!
I have front windshield tint on my DD, 80 windshield UV heat blocker and plan to add it to my 08Z. My DD leather seats, dash and steering wheel feel much cooler then my Z when parked outside in the sun. The Heat blocker has just a slight grey color to it and can only be noticed from the outside. From outside front looks like the sides, but from inside you can't tell anything was done to the front, day or night. I added it to my wife's car cause she complained about heat in the car. I had her sides and rear done in 30% and front with the 80% heat shield. She loved the look from outside, but when she got inside questioned whether anything was even on the front. Now that temps are in the 90's, she admits that the seats and steering wheel do not burn her upon entry.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:01 AM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

It really isn't that dark. I considered the LED switchbacks but really am not a huge fan of the white DRLs when in the parking lights position. I wish they made a version of them that operated like the switchbacks but with amber in the parking lights position.

Relocating the sensor is an interesting idea...I might just have to look and see if there is somewhere I could relocate it to get more light.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:38 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

It really isn't that dark. I considered the LED switchbacks but really am not a huge fan of the white DRLs when in the parking lights position. I wish they made a version of them that operated like the switchbacks but with amber in the parking lights position.

Relocating the sensor is an interesting idea...I might just have to look and see if there is somewhere I could relocate it to get more light.
Maybe my 08 works different then your 05.my sits in a car port and when i start it in daylight my heads lights come on so i turn the headlight control CW from auto and it shuts them off and goes back to auto,but then i get the "Headlights Recommended " in the DIC the cure for this is hit the 'Reset button'....My LEDs are Amber same with my fog lights.
The following users liked this post:
Scottchester (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 AM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

you can get a nearly clear "tint" on your front windscreen that still adds a massive thermal barrier. the color of the tint is independent of the heat blocking. I know you aren't looking to replace tint, but one option might be to get a less dark color with the same UV and heat protection.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:45 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Maybe my 08 works different then your 05.my sits in a car port and when i start it in daylight my heads lights come on so i turn the headlight control CW from auto and it shuts them off and goes back to auto,but then i get the "Headlights Recommended " in the DIC the cure for this is hit the 'Reset button'....My LEDs are Amber same with my fog lights.
When I do that it will keep the headlights from turning on but it also turns the DRLs off. I like the look of the ambers on a DRL but when in the parking light position they just aren't as bright as when being used as DRLs. If they were the same brightness it wouldn't be an issue to manually do it that way. Doing it as you described, at least in my model, turns all the lights off.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:14 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

LOL....The first thing I do when cranking her up is turn off the DRL's.....
Old 06-23-2018, 05:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by owc6

This!!!! ^^^^

Less visibility=_____ fill in the blank. Think: dark, heavy rain, mis-aimed headlights, YOU. Ugh. What a terrible scenario.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:33 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

You allare very critical of the tint jeesh! My question wasn't "should I remove my tint". Hopefully nobody finds out that I wear sunglasses while I drive. Cant you imagine the limited viz etc etc etc
Old 06-23-2018, 07:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Oh stop it! You wear sunglasses at nite? In the rain? When it's snowing and dark out? C'mon we're just trying for ya' not calling you a dummy. You can TAKE off your sunglasses in situations where it's a detriment. How do you do that with perm tint on the windshield? Right. You can't.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-23-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tinted Windshield and Automatic Headlights

Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

When I do that it will keep the headlights from turning on but it also turns the DRLs off. I like the look of the ambers on a DRL but when in the parking light position they just aren't as bright as when being used as DRLs. If they were the same brightness it wouldn't be an issue to manually do it that way. Doing it as you described, at least in my model, turns all the lights off.
Same here,but that is the way i want it when it gets dark enough i turn on the headlights.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
LOL....The first thing I do when cranking her up is turn off the DRL's.....
Yep.... me also.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

You allare very critical of the tint jeesh! My question wasn't "should I remove my tint". Hopefully nobody finds out that I wear sunglasses while I drive. Cant you imagine the limited viz etc etc etc

Mike, you are in a common conundrum. You executed a mod that now has made your car less enjoyable, so you are going to execute another mod? Look...don't worry about the headlights. Your aren't going to damage them by having them on, unless you are putting maybe 50K miles a year. Either leave them alone, or turn them off.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshield and Automatic Headlights