C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts
Default What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?

The Harley world went absolutely bonkers over "billet" EVERYTHING and the amount of money spent on billet parts had to be in the stratosphere. Damn near everything you could imagine could be had in "billet" and it really became nothing more than a high dollar fashion accessory for the "rubbies" (rich urban bikers) to brag about with their bar hoppers.

Come into the C6/C7 world and it's carbon fiber, and I am curious as to the appeal. I understand the strength/weight properties that are highly beneficial to racing applications, but the vast majority of these products are being sold to cars that will never see the street. In fact this "trend" has spawned a "faux" CF look where people are having fiberglass/ABS parts wrapped to look like CF.

I am not knocking anybody, just curious as to why the CF parts or look are appealing to those who have installed it, especially those who wrap parts to get that look.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Because race car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigBlue:
BigMonkey73 (06-22-2018), mellojoe (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:59 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

One-upsmanship? Sheeple?
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (06-24-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Because I think it looks nice? Isn't that why most people do things?

Also, I think it's silly to think that someone must have a "race car" in order to care about overall weight of your car.

I just hate these threads with titles like, "Stop with the black wheels!", "Why all the carbon fiber?". Why not just let people do what they want? Not sure why some people care so much about what others do to their car.

The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie15:
CorvetteBrent (06-24-2018), h8snow (06-24-2018), ptran00 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15

Also, I think it's silly to think that someone must have a "race car" in order to care about overall weight of your car.

I just hate these threads with titles like, "Stop with the black wheels!", "Why all the carbon fiber?". Why not just let people do what they want? Not sure why some people care so much about what others do to their car.

Don't get triggered, and if you hate threads like this, then don't read and don't respond to them.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15

I've liked the look since in/on Corvettes since owning my C4 Callaway Twin-Turbo. Like anything I do, I do it because I like it & really don't care what others think
Frankie15 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I don't have any, but I like the way it looks.

I have only done minor mods to my Centennial in the 4 years I have owned it: HID fogs, all LED interior bulbs, lightly smoked license plate covers, WindRestrictor, Vitesse throttle controller, swapped in an OEM NPP and added NPP in a box, and licensed the car with HPTuners and did some tweaks. It's my car to do what I like with, and I could care less if other people like it.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:32 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The Harley world went absolutely bonkers over "billet" EVERYTHING and the amount of money spent on billet parts had to be in the stratosphere. Damn near everything you could imagine could be had in "billet" and it really became nothing more than a high dollar fashion accessory for the "rubbies" (rich urban bikers) to brag about with their bar hoppers.

Come into the C6/C7 world and it's carbon fiber, and I am curious as to the appeal. I understand the strength/weight properties that are highly beneficial to racing applications, but the vast majority of these products are being sold to cars that will never see the street. In fact this "trend" has spawned a "faux" CF look where people are having fiberglass/ABS parts wrapped to look like CF.

I am not knocking anybody, just curious as to why the CF parts or look are appealing to those who have installed it, especially those who wrap parts to get that look.
Strong and light. Many folks like using the stuff as decorative items implying that they have incorporated it in the car's function. Both billet and carbon have their reasons. Billet looks better even to uneducated eyes and is strong. As I said, nothing's lighter and stronger in some uses than carbon - at prices we'll pay.

Look at the decorative stuff like folks getting bragging vanity tags or putting those skulls on their cars.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Because it makes my car lighter and it looks bad *** !!!!
In race trim, my car is now under 2950 lbs You may or may not appreciate what that means, coming from the Harley world LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by FNBADAZ06:
CorvetteBrent (06-24-2018), ptran00 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Don't get triggered, and if you hate threads like this, then don't read and don't respond to them.
I'm not triggered by any means. I'm just trying to understand the point of even making these threads.

If someone adds something to their car, why would you think they do it? You already mentioned the weight savings aspect of CF. Why do you think those Harley guys put that billet stuff on their bikes? Might be hard to imagine, but it's probably because they like how it looks. Would someone put all this stuff on their car if they didn't like the look or the added benefits?

I feel like you know the answer to the question you're asking, but felt like triggering some folks about it anyways.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:48 AM
classof05
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Black or CF compliments the car best.
Gives off an aggressive look on the street or a the drag strip.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:02 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

wow aren’t you the busy poster Lolol. 3months and that many posts. Wow.
I think CF is over rated. But that’s me.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Just like a Harley, owners, whether racing or just parking, like to personalize their rides, for bikes, Harley's or cruisers it's chrome or billet. Sport bikes, like C6/C7 Corvettes, are designed to be lightweight and fast. It just wouldn't make sense to add go fast parts then add heavy parts just for the looks. True, most of these cars are not on a track, mine doesn't see track time, yet I have added air intake, headers and Akropovic Evo system and hood ventilation. Why? My answer is, why not?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Ive never liked the look. I do apprieciate the weight savings having CF fenders and assorted parts that are OEM but they are very expensive. Thus people that like the look but cant afford the parts go to the faux CF look. As for starting a thread like this I feel its just to see what other folks are thinking about a certain subject. How is a person to know what someone in the other parts of the country is thinking if he dont ask? Its hard to express yourself with the written word when you cant talk face to face. Jmho

Clif
Old 06-22-2018, 09:48 AM
DAVIDYR1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We've been using a lot of carbon fiber in since the start of 2017. Everything from vacuum infused to hand lay up, but then again I'm in the special effects industry and visually the shows, actors or performers we work for either set trends or heavily follow them.
Carbon Fiber just screams fast car. It doesnt matter if you race it or not, visually it's as good a fit to cars as diamond plate is to motorcycles.
Right now, we're redoing a whole bunch of body armor all made from carbon fiber where as in the past it would have been any number of other materials but for vehicles it's visually stunning and a great fit. Just as valid as chrome panels or contrast black panels....and all this without even considering the strength to weight ratio. Once you factor that in it's a no brainier - if you have the cash for it.

David
Old 06-22-2018, 09:48 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I like the look, but black everything is nice too
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Why do people buy silver Vettes? Why do some people get chrome wheels? Why do some people get the GS stripes?

Because they like it. Why else???

Get notified of new replies

To What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Because it looks Freaking Cool!!!
ptran00 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Why do people put black wheels on. LOLOL.

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
Why do people buy silver Vettes? Why do some people get chrome wheels? Why do some people get the GS stripes?

Because they like it. Why else???
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Strong and light...
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Because it makes my car lighter and it looks bad *** !!!!...
IF it's real carbon fiber and not genuine, imitation, fake "carbon fiber" overlay. But, it's your car.

Quick Reply: What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?