C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1LT driver power seat kaput

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1LT driver power seat kaput

My '08 coupe is a basic 1LT 6 speed. The power driver seat is out of action. Nothing happens when the seat button is used. No obvious wires loose. Is there a fuse I should check? Where do I begin?

I seldom change the seat but today on a long drive through Glacier Park I tried to change position for a bit, that's when I noticed the seat is not working. Don't know how long this has been an issue. The car is used infrequently only during our short summers in Montana, and has only 11,000 miles on it. Seems like the seat parts should last a bit longer than that...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Montanajim
My '08 coupe is a basic 1LT 6 speed. The power driver seat is out of action. Nothing happens when the seat button is used. No obvious wires loose. Is there a fuse I should check? Where do I begin?

I seldom change the seat but today on a long drive through Glacier Park I tried to change position for a bit, that's when I noticed the seat is not working. Don't know how long this has been an issue. The car is used infrequently only during our short summers in Montana, and has only 11,000 miles on it. Seems like the seat parts should last a bit longer than that...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Check for a fuse under the passenger side carpet.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine just quit last week, too. Everything works except the back and forth mode. I thought maybe the motor was unplugged. Then when I was driving it the seat went forward to where the automatic setting was. So now I'm figuring either the connection is loose or the button is bad.

I'll get to it eventually.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Thanks for the tip, I'll start digging around there to see if a bad fuse is the problem before I take it back to the dealer.

Jim
Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

Checked the interior fuse box and found a 30a circuit breaker for the seat. Swapped it with another identical 30a breaker but no luck. Only other fuse in the box is a 20a one for a non-existant driver seat heater and it is also OK.

Made a dealer service appointment for next week. Any other suggestions I can check before then?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Checked the interior fuse box and found a 30a circuit breaker for the seat. Swapped it with another identical 30a breaker but no luck. Only other fuse in the box is a 20a one for a non-existant driver seat heater and it is also OK.

Made a dealer service appointment for next week. Any other suggestions I can check before then?

Thanks,

Jim
There is also a power modelur mounted to your seat frame.My was replaced on my 08 under warranty the seat has to be removed to replace it..PITA
Old 07-06-2018, 09:45 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

The switch that controls the seat movement is built into two separate parts, the inner electrical part and the outer shell with the pieces that actuate it. What happened to mine is that the switch separated and the inner portion kind of fell away from the outer switch. A new switch from the dealer was around $125, so instead, I pulled my seat, remove the switch, found the little piece of plastic that broke and glued it back together. It worked just fine after that.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

There is also a power modelur mounted to your seat frame.My was replaced on my 08 under warranty the seat has to be removed to replace it..PITA
I suspect the module may be the problem, didn’t know there was one under there. Everything looks OK from what I can see beneath the seat, no loose wire connections or other broken bits laying about. The switch appears to be solid with nothing to indicate a problem. It is probably one of those “black box” gremlins that can be traced back to the low bidder attitude for parts suppliers.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-07-2018, 01:18 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I suspect the module may be the problem, didn’t know there was one under there. Everything looks OK from what I can see beneath the seat, no loose wire connections or other broken bits laying about. The switch appears to be solid with nothing to indicate a problem. It is probably one of those “black box” gremlins that can be traced back to the low bidder attitude for parts suppliers.

Thanks,

Jim
You can get one online....Made In China"
Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

You can get one online....Made In China"
Dealer visit was pretty painless at $125; the tech checked the system and found a loose wire to the switch. Reconnected and made sure it was locked on tight so it won't come loose again. All in all it could have been much worse and more costly. I've had only 2 issues with this car in 10 years of ownership. First was a clunky rear which a fluid change, under warranty, cured, and now the loose seat wire. Pretty darned good.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Glad ya got it fixed.Now go DRIVE IT!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Dealer visit was pretty painless at $125; the tech checked the system and found a loose wire to the switch. Reconnected and made sure it was locked on tight so it won't come loose again. All in all it could have been much worse and more costly. I've had only 2 issues with this car in 10 years of ownership. First was a clunky rear which a fluid change, under warranty, cured, and now the loose seat wire. Pretty darned good.
Great to hear that.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:38 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone is still having problems with their seat switches or memory switches not working on their C6, I may have the solution. I believe I have the fix that will save you from having to buy a new seat memory module from the dealer, which will require the new module to be programmed to your vehicle. Long story short, below are the steps I took with the help of my wife to diagnose the problem.
1) Check the fuse under the passenger floor board. Before going any further into disassembling your seat, you need to remove the airbag fuse underneath the passenger floor board. (If good continue to next step)
2) Remove side switches from the drivers seat to lift the lower cushion in order to access the seat memory module unit (black box with three harnesses located underneath the front of the seat).
3)Once able to access the seat memory module, check the center harness to verify both wires are still secured (two wire harness; continuous positive and ground wire). Shown in first picture.
4) If wires are broken, you have two choices, you can repair wire harness (my wife was able to remove wire clips and replace wires) or replace with new one, AC Delco PT3156 (Ebay or Amazon).
5)If you are like me and repairing the harness did not fix the problem.
6) Verify that your three seat motors (Front/Back and two pivot motors) still work by adding power to each one directly through the harness (will require a service manual to identify wires and some type of mechanical knowledge of electrical systems).
7) Once you have verified that all three motors work, which normally they will, move to next step.
8) Remove all three harness from the seat memory module (black box) and remove module.
9) Open the seat memory module and test the capacitors to ensure they still work. (My wife is the professional at testing capacitors, diodes, etc., she uses a MESR-100).
10. When she tested the capacitors, she found the one circled in the second picture bad. She replaced the capacitor with (Nichicon 330uF 35v 105C ) from Ebay. Everything now works like a champ!!!!!!!!!
I can't verify this will help everyone, but hopefully this can assist you diagnosing your problem and save money from going to the dealer. My wife saved the day and I truly respect her electrical skills, she has fixed three high dollar Samsung TVs that got zapped from lightning strikes.

Last edited by debo; 09-02-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1LT driver power seat kaput

Quick Reply: 1LT driver power seat kaput