C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does an old TPMS have any value

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 PM
fraziers LT4
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Does an old TPMS have any value

Having just had a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports installed on my 2008, I also got new TPMS valves. Three out of four of the old ones were still working fine but one (RR) had the habit of blurting out that I had zero pounds pressure every once in a while and then regain its senses after 10-15 minutes, so I decided to just get new all the way around. I had the tire shop put the old ones in a paper sack for me. Are they of any value? Can they be rebuilt? They look like they are a sealed unit so how would a new battery be installed? I'm sure they are originals and have part #25758220 embossed on each one.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Had same thing earlier this year, new tires and new tmps, trashed the old ones, who in there right mind would use ten year old tmps, someone correct me if I'm wrong but its totally sealed and can't change the battery. I actually thought about cutting it open with dremal tool to try...but I had more important things to do, they went in the trash
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by fraziers LT4
Having just had a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports installed on my 2008, I also got new TPMS valves. Three out of four of the old ones were still working fine but one (RR) had the habit of blurting out that I had zero pounds pressure every once in a while and then regain its senses after 10-15 minutes, so I decided to just get new all the way around. I had the tire shop put the old ones in a paper sack for me. Are they of any value? Can they be rebuilt? They look like they are a sealed unit so how would a new battery be installed? I'm sure they are originals and have part #25758220 embossed on each one.
I replaced all of mine in April and considering that they were $43 each including shipping I can't see wasting my precious time trying to replace the batteries in them especially since replacing them again if it didn't work is an additional hassle and expense. I'm a bit bummed out that the previous owner of our 2007 didn't replace the TPMS sensors when he replace the OEM Goodyear tires in 2015 when the car was 8 years old since less than 2 years later in our first year of ownership i started to get the erroneous tire pressure warning as the battery was starting to fail in one. I can't figure out why someone would try to save $170 when they spent nearly $2,000 for tires and an alignment.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:38 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Most shops will tell you they have a service life of around 7 years. The vast majority of people will see much longer than that. No harm in trying to get a few bucks for them on OfferUp or eBay, etc.
The following users liked this post:
fraziers LT4 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap
I replaced all of mine in April and considering that they were $43 each including shipping I can't see wasting my precious time trying to replace the batteries in them especially since replacing them again if it didn't work is an additional hassle and expense. I'm a bit bummed out that the previous owner of our 2007 didn't replace the TPMS sensors when he replace the OEM Goodyear tires in 2015 when the car was 8 years old since less than 2 years later in our first year of ownership i started to get the erroneous tire pressure warning as the battery was starting to fail in one. I can't figure out why someone would try to save $170 when they spent nearly $2,000 for tires and an alignment.
Icecap: What brand and where did you get them for $43 Bucks?? I would think they would be more up there in BC.....Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I bought a set for my extra set of wheels from Amazon for $82 shipped
Cherokee Nation (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Because the original owner drove 8 years before he wore out the OEM tires, it's obvious he doesn't use a calendar for maintenance. Then you got a low mileage car with nearly new high end tires and complain that he should have replaced more stuff? Really? Did you expect a new battery, brakes, air filter, and a full tank of gas too? If you want everything new, don't buy old cars.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Icecap: What brand and where did you get them for $43 Bucks?? I would think they would be more up there in BC.....Thanks
I sourced the sensors for $43 each including shipping (within the US) from TPMS.COM. I had them sent to my US mailing address in a nearby border town. The sensors were fairly fresh having had a date of manufacture October 2016. The sensors were the OEM Schrader 20076 not a clone.

Last edited by Icecap; 07-11-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Cherokee Nation (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Because the original owner drove 8 years before he wore out the OEM tires, it's obvious he doesn't use a calendar for maintenance. Then you got a low mileage car with nearly new high end tires and complain that he should have replaced more stuff? Really? Did you expect a new battery, brakes, air filter, and a full tank of gas too? If you want everything new, don't buy old cars.
I did get some of your list as well and was quite happy and grateful for that. My main issue was that a reputable tire store knowing TPMS systems, that they were 8 years old and what their service life is didn't advise to replace them. Had they been done at the same time it would have added to their bottom line and saved having to have them done a year later.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:56 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Search Youtube and you can find people digging out the old batteries, soldering in new ones and burying them in epoxy. Too much work and can't possibly be as reliable as a new OE sensor.
fraziers LT4 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I just had new tires put on my 2014 Ford. They charged me $14 for some sort of TPMS kit. I think they were O rings. I thought the whole unit got replaced every time you got tires, or at least they tried to charge me for new ones ten years ago.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I just had new tires put on my 2014 Ford. They charged me $14 for some sort of TPMS kit. I think they were O rings. I thought the whole unit got replaced every time you got tires, or at least they tried to charge me for new ones ten years ago.
The kit is 4 '0' rings and 4 valve stems.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by fraziers LT4
Please don't, unless you disclose exactly what they are and how old, and if you do, then no one would want them. They are no longer good.

Because if you don't disclose this, then you are the bane of older cars like this, and if you want to keep posting here, .....

So, in other words, toss those in the trash, and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:11 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I did get some of your list as well and was quite happy and grateful for that. My main issue was that a reputable tire store knowing TPMS systems, that they were 8 years old and what their service life is didn't advise to replace them. Had they been done at the same time it would have added to their bottom line and saved having to have them done a year later.
So far 10 1/2 years and over 140K on the OEM sensors and I don't plan on replacing them until at least one or them dies permanently. The car works perfectly fine with or without sensors.

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I've had different wheels and several sets of tires and never had a TPMS kit as a replacement. It's a cash cow for tire stores, since the O-ring is about $.05. Just say NO.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

People who want to repair and reuse the old TPMS modules have a false sense of economy. I knew a guy who washes and keeps plastic utensils and take out food containers. He would reuse them at home, even when he had regular spoons and forks. I never saw the point in keeping them for reuse unless you were homeless and couldn't afford a set of metal ones. There is a cost to pay someone to un-mount a tire to install a sensor that may or may not work. If it doesn't work, you exceeded the cost of a new sensor to reinstall another one.
fraziers LT4 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

So far 10 1/2 years and over 140K on the OEM sensors and I don't plan on replacing them until at least one or them dies permanently. The car works perfectly fine with or without sensors.

I've had different wheels and several sets of tires and never had a TPMS kit as a replacement. It's a cash cow for tire stores, since the O-ring is about $.05. Just say NO.
Yeah, it was on my bill when they finished installing the tires at Sears. I will watch out for this next time.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Firestone stores do not charge for the 4 kits when i have a new set of tires put on aslo free road force balancing and alignment check..

Get notified of new replies

To Does an old TPMS have any value

Old 07-14-2018, 12:38 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Firestone stores do not charge for the 4 kits when i have a new set of tires put on aslo free road force balancing and alignment check..
Neither do other places charge when I tell them no "kit" is wanted.
Tires can be changed without removing the sensors and correct size/material O-rings don't go bad unless they were incorrectly installed. You certainly don't want to use a silicone O-ring (about $.10 each) in place of a polyurethane O-ring (about $.90 each) or vice versa, just because of the price. I also don't trust some minimum wage kid using an O-ring for a Nissan on my GM car, because it looks the same. Whatever O-ring is shipped in the same box as the sensor is the correct one for that application and will last for the lifetime of the sensor if properly installed. The last thing I'd want to do, is trying to chase down a slow leak that was caused by an O-ring problem.

Everyone has a choice of how they deal with life's problems. Mine is just different than your's. No offense intended.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:39 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Sears is a ripoff. They charge different prices for services that are advertised on website, then what they charge in the store. The $19.99 oil change that is listed on their in-store placard, is $43. I had to call them on every added charge and fee associated with the oil change to get it back down to the $19.99. I now see I was charged $14 for an unneeded O ring kit when I had new tires installed. I was too busy fighting with them on the price difference of tires that I pre-ordered on their website. The site said the tires were in stock, but they claimed they couldn't find them so they tried to sell me more expensive tires. The $429 tire deal I wanted for my Ford, was $649 in the store. I feel bad for the little old ladies they screw over. I only went there because I wanted to get my wife a free two month SirrusXM radio trial.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Neither do other places charge when I tell them no "kit" is wanted.
Tires can be changed without removing the sensors and correct size/material O-rings don't go bad unless they were incorrectly installed. You certainly don't want to use a silicone O-ring (about $.10 each) in place of a polyurethane O-ring (about $.90 each) or vice versa, just because of the price. I also don't trust some minimum wage kid using an O-ring for a Nissan on my GM car, because it looks the same. Whatever O-ring is shipped in the same box as the sensor is the correct one for that application and will last for the lifetime of the sensor if properly installed. The last thing I'd want to do, is trying to chase down a slow leak that was caused by an O-ring problem.

Everyone has a choice of how they deal with life's problems. Mine is just different than your's. No offense intended.
I guess you still have the original oil.

Quick Reply: Does an old TPMS have any value