C6 vs C3 ? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs C3 ?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM
  #1  
dalane
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
dalane's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default C6 vs C3 ?

For you guys that have owned both. Have an option for a 73 or 09 for about the same price, not going on the track, not a daily driver, but for occasional weekend cruises. Adjusting for age, apples and apples quality, that is everything works, similar miles. Which one would you take?
dalane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM
  #2  
EVRose
CF Senior Member
 
EVRose's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 14,025
Thanked 628 Times in 504 Posts
Default

I had a C3 and there is no comparison to a C6. I loved the C3 but C6 is better in every way, IMO.
EVRose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 AM
  #3  
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Del Boca Vista FL
Posts: 5,536
Thanked 144 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Do you prefer Neanderthal and a prehensile tail or a space shuttle?

Having owned both the C3 is not a car I want back. Period.
BADBIRDCAGE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM
  #4  
cgladish
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cgladish's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: CONCORD CA.
Posts: 444
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dalane View Post
For you guys that have owned both. Have an option for a 73 or 09 for about the same price, not going on the track, not a daily driver, but for occasional weekend cruises. Adjusting for age, apples and apples quality, that is everything works, similar miles. Which one would you take?
while I haven't owned both of these ( yet ), my initial hope for was a C3 ('68-'72). but for what was available in my price range,
this time it was an '09. I'm sure it has something to do with your age ( me: 55 ), that will create the draw.
I had about $22k to spend and, for what was on the market ( C3 ), nothing was close to the condition I was looking for.
we're talking in the $30k - $35k range to get close.
i'll try again in a few years.

if you only have enough for one, get the one that speaks to you.

cgladish is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgladish For This Useful Post:
GS982 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 AM
  #5  
Landru
CF Senior Member
 
Landru's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne Township WI
Posts: 8,217
Thanked 351 Times in 309 Posts
Default

Owned 3 C3s, last one an '80 L48 4spd for 30 years. Loved 'em all.
However it's the technology, C3 had its day & 2 generations removed from C6.
BTW that same tech is why C7 doesn't appeal to me, so I'm not tech crazy.

For about any purpose C6 is IMO hands-down way to go, especially $ being equal.
Drive them both, your own question will be answered.
Landru is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Landru For This Useful Post:
GS982 (08-17-2018), shuyberss (08-19-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 AM
  #6  
GS982
CF Senior Member
 
GS982's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 260
Thanked 70 Times in 52 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default



Wow...two completely different cars here. I have a '70 Vert that I absolutely love. It was my favorite car of all time until I recently bought my '13 427 Vert. Once the new to me wears off my '70 might go back to being my favorite....just don't know yet. First off, financially, C3s are on the upswing in price. While C6s have slowed greatly in depreciation, they are far from hitting the bottom. IMO C4s are hitting bottom right now and nice cars can be had for well under $10K. I believe my '70 is in good to excellent shape, but it seems to need 2 or 3 grand thrown at it every year for repairs and/or upgrades. I think this would be much less going into a C6. Cars aren't investments, but you might lose a little less on the C3.

The driving experiences are completely different. My C3 has enough power to be fun to play with, but is in no way a fast car by today's standards. I get looks waves and compliments every where I go. If you don't like the attention, I would say C6 all the way. For a almost 50 year old car it rides nice, but also no where close to today's standard. It creaks and squeaks and has tons of body flex compared to a new car. It is truly an engaging and rewarding driving experience though, like nothing else I have ever known. As for the C6, you are getting a truly capable sports car. Power, performance, handling and ride quality cannot be compared. It is nowhere near the conversation piece though, and IMO does not have the character of driving around an old C3.

If you want a pleasure cruiser go C3, if you want a sports car C6 all day long!

Last edited by GS982; 08-17-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Picture is worth a thousand words
GS982 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GS982 For This Useful Post:
cgladish (08-17-2018), dalane (08-17-2018), FiveVettes (08-17-2018), JoeMatilda (08-18-2018), Landru (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 AM
  #7  
Landru
CF Senior Member
 
Landru's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne Township WI
Posts: 8,217
Thanked 351 Times in 309 Posts
Default

^^ Nicely stated.
Landru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 AM
  #8  
cgladish
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cgladish's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: CONCORD CA.
Posts: 444
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default C3 vs c6

Originally Posted by GS982 View Post
Wow...two completely different cars here. I have a '70 Vert that I absolutely love. It was my favorite car of all time until I recently bought my '13 427 Vert. Once the new to me wears off my '70 might go back to being my favorite....just don't know yet. First off, financially, C3s are on the upswing in price. While C6s have slowed greatly in depreciation, they are far from hitting the bottom. IMO C4s are hitting bottom right now and nice cars can be had for well under $10K. I believe my '70 is in good to excellent shape, but it seems to need 2 or 3 grand thrown at it every year for repairs and/or upgrades. I think this would be much less going into a C6. Cars aren't investments, but you might lose a little less on the C3.

The driving experiences are completely different. My C3 has enough power to be fun to play with, but is in no way a fast car by today's standards. I get looks waves and compliments every where I go. If you don't like the attention, I would say C6 all the way. For a almost 50 year old car it rides nice, but also no where close to today's standard. It creaks and squeaks and has tons of body flex compared to a new car. It is truly an engaging and rewarding driving experience though, like nothing else I have ever known. As for the C6, you are getting a truly capable sports car. Power, performance, handling and ride quality cannot be compared. It is nowhere near the conversation piece though, and IMO does not have the character of driving around an old C3.

If you want a pleasure cruiser go C3, if you want a sports car C6 all day long!
as I noted above, I haven't yet owned a C3, but it is still my favorite one. I've always loved the looks.
I had a friend who had a '69 convertible, 427, side pipes, 4spd. loud, creaky, bad brakes, scary as hell.
I was hooked.
having owned a lot of "whack-mole" cars over the years, pretty sure the C3 generation would occasionally fall into this category too.
with my current C6, hard to beat its all around performance. I've got over 134k miles ( 36k miles since I've had it ) and still
brings a smile every time I'm in it.
I wouldn't mind having both in my stable.

cgladish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM
  #9  
stingray71
CF Senior Member
 
stingray71's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 808
Thanked 97 Times in 75 Posts
Default

My first Corvette I bought about 15 years ago was a 1971 convertible. I still love that body style as it was the generation that I knew when I was growing up. However, I now have a 2009 coupe that I think I would choose again if given the choice. I like the modern safety, performance and reliability. I also think the C6 body style has classic lines that will hold up over time.
stingray71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 AM
  #10  
GS982
CF Senior Member
 
GS982's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 260
Thanked 70 Times in 52 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by cgladish View Post
as I noted above, I haven't yet owned a C3, but it is still my favorite one. I've always loved the looks.
I had a friend who had a '69 convertible, 427, side pipes, 4spd. loud, creaky, bad brakes, scary as hell.
I was hooked.
having owned a lot of "whack-mole" cars over the years, pretty sure the C3 generation would occasionally fall into this category too.
with my current C6, hard to beat its all around performance. I've got over 134k miles ( 36k miles since I've had it ) and still
brings a smile every time I'm in it.
I wouldn't mind having both in my stable.
I had 2 brake calipers that started to leak and as you stated the brakes are terrible. So instead of replacing/rebuilding the calipers, I went with all new Wilwoods all the way around. Calipers, drilled and slotted rotors and stainless lines all of it. It really firmed up the brake pedal, but if ever put in an emergency braking position, I'm completely screwed!!! I really need a brake booster, but to me it would take away from the character. I agree the car is scary in a good way. You strap on that lap belt to make sure your safe, say a little prayer and off you go......awesome!
GS982 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM
  #11  
cgladish
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cgladish's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: CONCORD CA.
Posts: 444
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default C3 vs C6

Originally Posted by GS982 View Post
I had 2 brake calipers that started to leak and as you stated the brakes are terrible. So instead of replacing/rebuilding the calipers, I went with all new Wilwoods all the way around. Calipers, drilled and slotted rotors and stainless lines all of it. It really firmed up the brake pedal, but if ever put in an emergency braking position, I'm completely screwed!!! I really need a brake booster, but to me it would take away from the character. I agree the car is scary in a good way. You strap on that lap belt to make sure your safe, say a little prayer and off you go......awesome!
the scary part is the part that generates the connection of man to machine. not always the best connection, but you at least get to feel what's going on. the newer cars lose some of that connection, but you get to push the limits farther and feel safe ( safer? ).
the C6 does allow me more latitude in what I can experience, but I do miss the old school sounds, smells, and feel.
you can't get these from newer rides.
pick your poison!
it's all addictive, it's all good!
cgladish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 AM
  #12  
wayback
CF Senior Member
 
wayback's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Mansfield TEXAS
Posts: 14,222
Thanked 550 Times in 466 Posts
Default

I loved my 69 coupe as my DD back in 78 thru 81. But even then it required a lot of maintenance and upkeep. The ride was harsh, you hurt after a couple hours drive. Fun? He'll yes!! Comfortable? He'll no.

Had almost the same power as my C6, but it was no where near as fast. Tires were the big drawback then.

C6 is a comfortable, capable sports car that can cruise on the hwy or tear up the twisties.

Best for you to drive both. You will know which one is for you.
wayback is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM
  #13  
BLUDICE
CF Senior Member
 
BLUDICE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Plainfield IN
Posts: 868
Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
Default

That's a tuff answer without knowing more about the C3 - because they vary so much thru the years - going from 400HP to 180 HP for example - I've own C3-'78, C4-'94, C5- '03, and now a C6 - '08 - the C6 is hands down the best Corvette ever in my book (even better than the C7 - I hate those tail lights) - - - now if your are talking about a '68-69 427 4sp - well that's something to think about - but if it's a '82 "Stall Fire" w/180 HP- sorry no game here.
I've driven a '73 vert 4sp small block that belong to a friend and got to drive it a bunch of times - I still was not that impressed - my '94 was a ton more fun to drive than that '73 - but that's my opinion - good luck with your choice.

Last edited by BLUDICE; 08-17-2018 at 11:46 AM.
BLUDICE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM
  #14  
cgladish
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cgladish's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: CONCORD CA.
Posts: 444
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default C3 vs C6

Originally Posted by BLUDICE View Post
That's a tuff answer without knowing more about the C3 - because they vary so much thru the years - going from 400HP to 180 HP for example - I've own C3-'78, C4-'94, C5- '03, and now a C6 - '08 - the C6 is hands down the best Corvette ever in my book (even better than the C7 - I hate those tail lights) - - - now if your are talking about a '68-69 427 4sp - well that's something to think about - but if it's a '82 "Stall Fire" w/180 HP-
sorry no game here.
I would agree on the generation range. the later years did serve a purpose though. while they offered nothing in the way of "corvette" performance, they at least maintained the line until, the C4 came out. that opened the door for all future generations.
personally, only the chrome bumpered years interest me.
cgladish is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgladish For This Useful Post:
BLUDICE (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:56 AM
  #15  
FatsWaller
CF Senior Member
 
FatsWaller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Etobicoke Ontario
Posts: 364
Thanked 73 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Don't know your age, which could be a factor, but if you could be happy with either, get the c3, drive and enjoy for 4 years, and then look for a 2013 GS. It's unlikely the c3 will have dropped in value as a weekend driver (may actually appreciate), and the 2013 will have depreciated a lot. I can only compare to a C2, which was similar mechanically to a C3, but the c6 beats the snot out of most if not all c3's peformance wise; acceleration, cornering, braking. My .02 worth.
FatsWaller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 PM
  #16  
capevettes
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
capevettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Cape Cod Mass & Pine Island Fla
Posts: 15,701
Thanked 844 Times in 632 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Default

I've had several of each. To sum it up: The C6 in any form is a real car. The C3 is a very nice toy. The early bumper cars are more desirable. The 73 is kind of a hybrid, urethane front bumper, chrome rear. My favorites that I owned of each:

68 Big Block:

06 Z06

Last edited by capevettes; 08-17-2018 at 12:42 PM.
capevettes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:41 PM
  #17  
cgladish
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cgladish's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: CONCORD CA.
Posts: 444
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default C3 vs C6

Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
I've had several of each. To sum it up: The C6 in any form is a real car. The C3 is a very nice toy. The early bumper cars are moere desirable. The 73 is kind of a hybrid, urethane front bumper, chrome rear. My favorites that I owned of each:

68 Big Block:

06 Z06
that is my dream picture. half way there with the C6. another couple of years ( get kids through college ), then we'll see.
congrats!

cgladish is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgladish For This Useful Post:
capevettes (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:05 PM
  #18  
89L98
CF Senior Member
 
89L98's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Hamilton Square NJ
Posts: 5,501
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

If you want to look at it. Buy the C3. If you want to drive it. Buy the C6. That was then, this is now.
89L98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 89L98 For This Useful Post:
bop (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM
  #19  
FAUEE
CF Senior Member
 
FAUEE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 3,893
Thanked 236 Times in 209 Posts
Default

If it was a 72, I'd buy the c3 every time.
FAUEE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM
  #20  
lebvette
CF Senior Member
 
lebvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Pine Bluff Arkansas
Posts: 6,780
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default

I have owned both.....C6 all the way. The 79 will never be anything special...low horses, air that doesn't work well, not much space.
lebvette is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: